New Apple 'Camera' Patent Will Allow Remote Shutdown of Your Phone or its Features

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
lol ok sorry about that, yet another example of how there really needs to be a sarcasm font

and you are 100% correct about the days of common decency being gone. the last time i was in a theater there was someone with a BT headset. they weren't using the phone or anything just had the headset on, and I was distracted the ENTIRE time by the blue flashing light on his headset...

Yep it ruins the whole experience, the main point is to escape into the movie and when someone keep turning their phone on or a blinking light like that it kills the whole fun of it.

I also hate when the theaters track lighting it too bright during the movie, or they have those bright blue lights instead of soft yellow lighting. Getting too picky in my old age. :)

TatDroid

Reaction score
Narsil said:
On the other hand, I'm kind of glad Apple patented this. It will limit the number of manufacturers implementing the technology .

Exactly, that was my first thought. Let them have it!

HeadKase

Reaction score
Our founding fathers set forth a set of laws that protect us from our government. With every passing day since, our rights are being washed away as though they never existed. With this patent, Apple has pulled out their revolver, cocked the hammer and pointed the gun straight at their foot. You want to see a bunch of people jump ship from using or purchasing the newest iPhones, iPads and/or iAnything? This is the perfect way to do it. I can't even imagine being a salesperson for Apple after this happens. "Welcome to the Apple Store! Oh, you are interested in the new and improved iPhone 6? Great! It has the newest processor, latest apps (*mudders under breath* that don't work straight out of the box), best screen in town (*mudders under breath again* for now because other companies can build better screens but I'm going to pretend that ours are always the best), all kinds of new and fancy features (*mumbles in a really low tone* like the one where they can shut any feature off in the phone that they feel like just because they feel like it). So let's get you a case and some other accessories and I will meet you at the counter (trying to close the sale as fast as possible so that the customer didn't hear all the mudders and mumbles)." Apple has seriously taken an intentional step in to the deep end of a pool filled with cow crap. When the Apple fan club finds out that Apple is going to be allowed to control their device(s) without the majority being able to do anything about it I can only imagine the uproar. I can understand companies wanting and trying to protect their copyrighted materials. Apple proposing to take control of people's device(s) is absolutely absurd. I have been telling my friends recently that we are moving more and more towards a Military/Police State. I hate to make this prediction and I hate to see it come true but it has and is. We are approaching sad times my friends. The worst part is the deliberate disguising and loosely worded nature of these patents and house bills that pass to law. Even though a large majority of us stick to our Android based device(s) the problem overall is on a much grander scale. I have a Droid Bionic which is amazing and I love it. No matter my choice of device, say I wanted to protest in front of Apple's headquarters, who's to say that with laws that are above Apple's patent don't allow for me to protest there or that the military or police have created a "protest zone". I apologize for ranting on more so than just about the Apple patent but I have to chime in and point out that this is just another nail in the coffin of a problem on a much larger scale.

HeadKase

Reaction score
I had to post about this again. I don't like people using their phones in a movie theater either. They have the right to be rude though. They are now losing their right to be an a-hole. They do however still have the right to chose a different manufacturer. Another unfortunate thing is that the patent office (run by the government by the way) has allowed Apple to apply for patents that have inhibited and hindered the creativity in product development. Another big problem is that Apple will be the holder of another patent that hinders the use of devices. Apple can make agreements with entities such as the government to allow them to control the devices as well. This is another way to put the people in to a Military/Police State. So how about the weather where you are at... it's friggin' hot where I am still hahaha. Go team Android!!!!!!

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Good old ilikemoneygreen walks into theater, finding himself the only person sitting through the presentation of Donald Duck; he was quite pleased with himself. Out comes the hot dogs and popcorn. Suddenly chocking on the hot dog and throwing the popcorn to get no ones attention; he pulls out his only means of communication left....his iphone. Oh no was the expression on ilikemoneygreen's face when he died, because his phone was "blacked out".... to prevent copyright infringement... against his will...

Good old ilikemoneygreen is at a concert which is just wrapping up, walking out while looking pretty much like a "damsel" (For some reason ilikemoneygreen is a chick in this). Taking the quick way to her car, four men pop out of an alley leaving just lonely ilike and the 4 attackers alone. The attackers dont notice that and she pulled out her iphone from her pocket before she got to the alley (Because of her awesome jedi predication skills that alleys could potentially have attackers.. But.... Oh no was the expession on her face as ilikemoneygreen is then raped, and pillaged (That nice ring she got from her billionaire husband) because his phone was "blacked out".... to prevent copyright infringement...

Ilikemoneygeen was in the concert and got hit in the face by an idiot who thought a crowd surge was me pushing him intentionally... he had brass knuckles On the ground with people focused on the band ilikemoneygreen was hurt badly, so he pulls out his iphone..... Oh no was the expression on his face as ilikemoneygreen passed out and wasn't found until the end of the concert.

Could do this all day!

Tort law as a quick thought :blink:

or

Dont get an iphone :p

ilikemoneygreen lives in all the events through a parallel universe which he has an android device. :biggrin: Which universe do you think i'm in? :icon_ devil:

geoff5093

Reaction score
So if I'm at a concert, I can't take a video or photo of my friend sitting next to me because Apple think I'll use the camera to record the show?

Escobar

Reaction score
This is purely a money making for sale patent. They can't possibly get business from this. It doesn't help them at all unless they sell it.

52brandon

Reaction score
who would wanna watch a concert recorded on a cell phone? yuck

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
no kidding. I was just thinking "yeah, I bet an iPhone recording and a concert are identical..." lol, buncha idiots

JustinUnderscore

Reaction score
Even the stated purpose for this patent goes way too far in my opinion. It won't even do anything to stop piracy -- the determined pirates will just use a real video camera, or possibly an android phone. :happy3: The only people this could possibly hurt are regular users who won't have much impact on content sales anyway with their small-time "piracy."

I am also glad, though, that Apple is trying to "protect" this idea. That means that it isn't going to show up anywhere else mainstream, so it will only be the already-near-useless iDevices that get even more crippled. I think if they implement this, it will be another very large nail in Apple's coffin, which can't be a bad thing either. It's almost like they want to go out of business faster...

It's also good to note that this would probably never catch on among android users. If it were Google that held this patent, and they tried to go through with it, there would be a massive backlash and everyone would switch to custom ROMs that offered the ability to disable the anti-piracy system on their phones. That's the beauty of android: there are always choices.

kentfx

Reaction score
Apple camera control patent

As I read it, the patent application says that in certain defined areas, functions of the phone can be either disabled OR ENABLED. This suggests that phones in the future -- or phones now, for that matter -- may have functionalities we don't know about, functionalities that can be turned on at any time we're in a particular area. Of course that area might be all of Western Europe or North America. Not to be paranoid about it, but who really knows what capabilities are built into these little phone computers, just waiting to be told to start working.

jaybogg

Reaction score
As I read it, the patent application says that in certain defined areas, functions of the phone can be either disabled OR ENABLED. This suggests that phones in the future -- or phones now, for that matter -- may have functionalities we don't know about, functionalities that can be turned on at any time we're in a particular area. Of course that area might be all of Western Europe or North America. Not to be paranoid about it, but who really knows what capabilities are built into these little phone computers, just waiting to be told to start working.

Enable "location", quick scan of all devices, roster of everyone attending an event, demonstration, you fill in the blank...I may not have the correct feature listed, but I bet it would not be too hard to develop such a program if remote access is allowed.

mrshog

Reaction score
I feel pretty certain the gov't has this capability already. Maybe I'm just paranoid.....but I'll stick with Andy just the same.

ranger473

Reaction score
No Good will come of this!

While I agree that it may hurt Apple's business if implemented that does not mean that they won't do it down the road some time. This has Big Brother written all over it!

superrazer

Reaction score
How much does our newsletter writer have to learn, government always wants that capability and they have finally gotten it. Corporations can be easily overthrown, the government can't be very easily overthrown. Ever see a video of an A-10 firing on a building? That's just one billionth of one percent of our military power. The government has the military which means big guns. The corporations are not that powerful, at all. As for the new patent, Waz is moving to Australia so he doesn't need to deal with what his company has created.

Last edited by a moderator:

superrazer

Reaction score
It's not just phones

All the new cars are vulnerable to it too. They had a huge satellite infrastructure after the cold war so the U.S government put all of them to use. Now they can shut your car down if they want.