Features to Look for in Ice Cream Sandwich and the Future!

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
which is why I'm hoping to get a phone that comes with ICS haha...I don't think I could handle waiting a year to get ICS at which point Jelly Bean and Key Lime Pie (or whatever they call it) is already out haha

Well, the Bionic should have custom roms before long it seems, so that's one solution.

The upgrades are nice, but really after Froyo it seems most things are just going to be marginal upgrades. I guess controlling your home & home electronics is pretty cool, but until someone invents new ideas and the hardware/software to go along with it, I've been pretty satisfied since Froyo. GB I can't really see how it's provided any extra value. I kind of figure after Ice Cream I just won't care all that much about the latest OS.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well, the Bionic should have custom roms before long it seems, so that's one solution.

The upgrades are nice, but really after Froyo it seems most things are just going to be marginal upgrades. I guess controlling your home & home electronics is pretty cool, but until someone invents new ideas and the hardware/software to go along with it, I've been pretty satisfied since Froyo. GB I can't really see how it's provided any extra value. I kind of figure after Ice Cream I just won't care all that much about the latest OS.

Yeah but the bionic bootloader is encrypted so we'll just be getting GB roms, still would have to wait for an ICS OTA in order to get ICS ROMs. I agree though that the jump from Froyo to GB is not that big a deal to me (but then again, I'm still on my D1 so maybe I dont like it cuz the D1 can't handle it). Reason I'm waiting for the Galaxy Nexus is because the rumors say it'll be vanilla android which means updates straight from Google with no waiting, and if its not vanilla at least I'd have the latest OS (at the time of course).

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
ICS is getting released in 8 weeks or so. Sweet. I'm moving to an NFC capable phone next, no doubt.
No NFC will stunt the Bionic's future growth. You can make ROMS but you can't add hardware (unless you strap it on the outside... No thanks).

The Bionic's lack of NFC is going to cause a serious case of buyer's remorse among those who just purchased it in 3... 2...

CTownDroid

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I'd like a "reboot" option when long pressing the power button! Cant get that unless I'm on a rom.

The Charge has that option stock. Use that function every day!

Guess I'm glad I had a skinny kid!

R

RETG

Unless your phone has an IR light on it, the last feature will be worthless for IR devices. And, I believe most remotes for TV, stereos, printers, etc., are IR.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I like the idea of nfc... don't think the bionic is equipped and that's just fine... ICS is going to be awesome either way

NFC reminds me of that paypass thing mastercard was doing a few years ago, I think it is the same thing I'm just not sure... it could be a cool idea, just means being much more careful of where your phone is. and having the ability to lock and wipe it from anywhere like some of those apps let you do

DesktopDevin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
I like the idea of nfc... don't think the bionic is equipped and that's just fine... ICS is going to be awesome either way

NFC reminds me of that paypass thing mastercard was doing a few years ago, I think it is the same thing I'm just not sure

It is still in use and there are couple of other cards that use it to as well as my mobile speedpass wand...love that thing, it is just a little wand on my key chain.

When I get out to pump my gas just wave the wand in front of the pump and I'm all set no messing around having to pull my wallet out.

And nfc is is compatible with just about all rfid readers.

All though it may replace my credit cards, it can't beat my speed pass.

I don't won't to have to pull my phone out of the car dock just to fill up, plus the idea of waving around an electrical device around gas station pump just makes me cringe. :icon_ goofy:

Last edited:

Jejackson

Reaction score
All I want is a screenshot feature built in. Is that really too hard to ask for Google?!?!

The Asus Transformer gives you this feature, although it has to be enabled in settings first. All you do is hold down the recent apps icon and it takes a screenshot for you...SIMPLE!

socalsx

Reaction score
how is this only a "slight" upgrade to some people? full usb-host connectivity, gpu accelerated ui (possibly make a d1 run smooth), multi core support from ground-up and revamped camera and keyboard. Am I missing something?

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
The Asus Transformer gives you this feature, although it has to be enabled in settings first. All you do is hold down the recent apps icon and it takes a screenshot for you...SIMPLE!
It shouldn't be up to the manufacturers to do this. Google should have had this feature built in by the time Ginger Bread was out. :icon_ nono2:

trestevenson

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
It shouldn't be up to the manufacturers to do this. Google should have had this feature built in by the time Ginger Bread was out. :icon_ nono2:

You can take screenshots with the HTC Evo 3d as well by pushing the Power button followed by the Home button; but yeah, this functionality should be built into the base operating system.

busab

Reaction score
how is this only a "slight" upgrade to some people? full usb-host connectivity, gpu accelerated ui (possibly make a d1 run smooth), multi core support from ground-up and revamped camera and keyboard. Am I missing something?

Thats what im saying. It sounds like pretty big upgrade if you as me.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Thats what im saying. It sounds like pretty big upgrade if you as me.

ICS is....Don't really feel like GB was. I'm also saying that I think Android will be more or less a finished product with ICS (for the reasons you stated). I don't expect to be choppin' at the bit waiting for the latest Android OS - part of that now is just hoping to squeeze a bit more life out of the grossly underpowered D1.