New Advancement in Battery Technology Could Lead to a 10x Improvement in Efficiency

Discussion in 'Android News' started by Trusstopher, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Trusstopher

Trusstopher DF Super Moderator

Researchers at Northwestern University have discovered that "poking" millions of tiny holes, combined with a couple of other changes, in a Lithium Ion battery core could lead to a battery that charges in 15 minutes and lasts up to a week. The scientists estimate that these batteries could be on the shelves (and in our phones and tablets) with 5 years. The primary drawback of this new tech is that the charging and power gains fall off sharply after 150 charges; however, even after the 150 cycles (which is over a year of use), the battery is still 5 times more effective than the current Lithium Ion batteries out there today.

Source: Android Police, BBC

How does a week away from the charger sound?? What kind of devices do you all think these "mega" batteries will be powering in 5 years?
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  2. Shadez

Shadez Super Mod/News Team Staff Member Premium Member

This would be an incredible breakthrough. But 5 years from now ...ugh
  3. Trusstopher

4. OneTenderRebel

OneTenderRebel New Member

Honestly, IMHO, there is no excuse for battery life in electronic devices to be as poor as it is. Technology changes everyday and moves forward but somehow batteries keep going backwards. It makes no sense.
  5. Sweettooth

Sweettooth New Member

I imagine when these batteries finally come out they'll be powering a device 5-10 times higher in power requirements, and battery life will be just as poor.
  6. toyotaking88

toyotaking88 New Member

I agree with the above post I think with as fast as technology has been leaping forward someone is probably holding out on some bad a** battery that their waiting till the optimal time to release. Maybe not but it seems logical that with all the advances that have been made how is their not better batteries out.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums
  7. Trusstopher

You will still be getting the 15 min charge times, but unfortunately you pass that 150 cycles in 4 months.
  8. Trusstopher

I think the fact that the biggest news in battery advancement in quite awhile is based on modifications to old technology and not a completely new and revolutionary idea says a lot about the industry. I think they have hit a peak as far as materials available at a feasible price and fitting it into a suitable sized package. It seems like most of the focus is on making what we have better, not coming up with someone different that is better.

But I could be way off on that because I have no idea what other research is going on in the battery world right now.
  9. OneTenderRebel

Truss why you gotta go and get all logical on us, just let us complain about it and be done with it, haha. You are probably right though, maybe the price is too high for them to make a reasonably priced battery that lasts longer than what they do now.
  10. sbenson

sbenson New Member

I'm simply blown away that there's not some genius somewhere making a breakthrough on battery tech. There's gotta be something better out there.
  11. sc0rch3d

sc0rch3d New Member

give the proof of concept to the masses (even if the cost is high) to get some capital coming in! i may be interested in spending $100-200 on a battery that lasts a week! i may not get another one after 6 months or even a year, but i would support the movement.
  12. OneTenderRebel

yeah that's more or less what I was saying too, I understand you can only work with certain materials and cost is a factor in that but technology advances so fast, there just has to be something readily available to improve battery life.
  13. Shadez

Shadez Super Mod/News Team Staff Member Premium Member

Fine... gimmie a few mins to get a potato and 2 copper wires and some acid together..
  14. OneTenderRebel

I would love to see a potato powered smartphone. "The Droid Spud"
  15. Str8Aro

Str8Aro Member

Ahhh! Another project for the Idaho Incubator! :D
  16. arparaspolo

arparaspolo New Member

They aren't moving backwards. The problem is they aren't moving at all. Like you mentioned, technology is advancing daily but somehow batteries are standing still. And now they say in five years these batteries will be 10 times better than what we have now. That sounds great now but our tech will be 50 times what it is today in 5 years which could put that "awesome battery" at the same point we are at now.
  17. Trusstopher

I agree with this, but only to a degree. "Advancing" tech does not always mean "advancing" power consumption. It seems like as of the last 3 or 4 generations of devices the push has been to get more processing power out of our devices at the cost of higher power consumption, but it seems like there has been an increase of concern in the current and even more so in the next generation to make the components more power efficient as we begin to hit the "practical" peak of processor power for a mobile device. Making something twice as fast as the previous iteration eventually because unnoticeable as you approach "instantaneous" (with respect to what a human can physically observe. I don't care if something can happen in 10 ms instead of 20 ms) where as making it twice as efficient in power consumption will be very noticeable.
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  18. Sweettooth

Sweettooth New Member

Where's our Tony Stark to outfit a small plasma reactor in our phones!?
  19. Eric18

Eric18 New Member

If you look at PopSci.com this battery has only enhanced the anode not the cathode and the researchers next plan is to rethink the cathode to further boost efficiency and effectiveness.:biggrin: So imagine a battery 20x more efficient then the ones we have today.
  20. GohanBurner

GohanBurner New Member

That is definitely something I want to see in my phone, ESP since 4G eats so much of it.
Search tags for this page

battery advancement

battery advancement in 10 years

what is inside a d battery