New Advancement in Battery Technology Could Lead to a 10x Improvement in Efficiency

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Researchers at Northwestern University have discovered that "poking" millions of tiny holes, combined with a couple of other changes, in a Lithium Ion battery core could lead to a battery that charges in 15 minutes and lasts up to a week. The scientists estimate that these batteries could be on the shelves (and in our phones and tablets) with 5 years. The primary drawback of this new tech is that the charging and power gains fall off sharply after 150 charges; however, even after the 150 cycles (which is over a year of use), the battery is still 5 times more effective than the current Lithium Ion batteries out there today.

Source: Android Police, BBC

How does a week away from the charger sound?? What kind of devices do you all think these "mega" batteries will be powering in 5 years?

Last edited:

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
Honestly, IMHO, there is no excuse for battery life in electronic devices to be as poor as it is. Technology changes everyday and moves forward but somehow batteries keep going backwards. It makes no sense.

Sweettooth

Reaction score
I imagine when these batteries finally come out they'll be powering a device 5-10 times higher in power requirements, and battery life will be just as poor.

toyotaking88

Reaction score
I agree with the above post I think with as fast as technology has been leaping forward someone is probably holding out on some bad a** battery that their waiting till the optimal time to release. Maybe not but it seems logical that with all the advances that have been made how is their not better batteries out.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

OP
Trusstopher

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You will still be getting the 15 min charge times, but unfortunately you pass that 150 cycles in 4 months.

OP
Trusstopher

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with the above post I think with as fast as technology has been leaping forward someone is probably holding out on some bad a** battery that their waiting till the optimal time to release. Maybe not but it seems logical that with all the advances that have been made how is their not better batteries out.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

I think the fact that the biggest news in battery advancement in quite awhile is based on modifications to old technology and not a completely new and revolutionary idea says a lot about the industry. I think they have hit a peak as far as materials available at a feasible price and fitting it into a suitable sized package. It seems like most of the focus is on making what we have better, not coming up with someone different that is better.

But I could be way off on that because I have no idea what other research is going on in the battery world right now.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think the fact that the biggest news in battery advancement in quite awhile is based on modifications to old technology and not a completely new and revolutionary idea says a lot about the industry. I think they have hit a peak as far as materials available at a feasible price and fitting it into a suitable sized package. It seems like most of the focus is on making what we have better, not coming up with someone different that is better.

But I could be way off on that because I have no idea what other research is going on in the battery world right now.

Truss why you gotta go and get all logical on us, just let us complain about it and be done with it, haha. You are probably right though, maybe the price is too high for them to make a reasonably priced battery that lasts longer than what they do now.

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm simply blown away that there's not some genius somewhere making a breakthrough on battery tech. There's gotta be something better out there.

sc0rch3d

Reaction score
Truss why you gotta go and get all logical on us, just let us complain about it and be done with it, haha. You are probably right though, maybe the price is too high for them to make a reasonably priced battery that lasts longer than what they do now.

give the proof of concept to the masses (even if the cost is high) to get some capital coming in! i may be interested in spending $100-200 on a battery that lasts a week! i may not get another one after 6 months or even a year, but i would support the movement.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm simply blown away that there's not some genius somewhere making a breakthrough on battery tech. There's gotta be something better out there.

yeah that's more or less what I was saying too, I understand you can only work with certain materials and cost is a factor in that but technology advances so fast, there just has to be something readily available to improve battery life.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69

Fine... gimmie a few mins to get a potato and 2 copper wires and some acid together..