New Architecture Could Charge Batteries in 10 Mins & Last Longer

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
mobile-battery-icon.png

It looks like some new developments are being made in the portable battery world. Researchers at University of California - Riverside, have developed a new Lithium-Ion variant architecture which will no only store more energy, but will also allow users of portable electronics to charge their batteries in only 10 minutes without the usual side effects of quick charging.

The technology uses a three-dimensional, silicon-decorated, cone-shaped carbon-nanotube cluster architecture for lithium ion battery anodes that could enable charging of portable electronics in a much shorter time frame. On top of that, these batteries will store a bit more too. Here's a quote with a few more details,

Silicon is a type of anode material that is receiving a lot of attention because its total charge capacity is 10 times higher than commercial graphite based lithium ion battery anodes. Consider a packaged battery full-cell. Replacing the commonly used graphite anode with silicon anodes will potentially result in a 63 percent increase of total cell capacity and a battery that is 40 percent lighter and smaller.

In a paper, Silicon Decorated Cone Shaped Carbon Nanotube Clusters for Lithium Ion Battery Anode,recently published in the journal SMALL, UC Riverside researchers developed a novel structure of three-dimensional silicon decorated cone-shaped carbon nanotube clusters architecture via chemical vapor deposition and inductively coupled plasma treatment.

Lithium ion batteries based on this novel architecture demonstrate a high reversible capacity and excellent cycling stability. The architecture demonstrates excellent electrochemical stability and irreversibility even at high charge and discharge rates, nearly 16 times faster than conventionally used graphite based anodes.
The researchers believe the ultrafast rate of charge and discharge can be attributed to two reasons, said Wei Wang, lead author of the paper.

One, the seamless connection between graphene covered copper foil and carbon nanotubes enhances the active material-current collector contact integrity which facilitates charge and thermal transfer in the electrode system.

Two, the cone-shaped architecture offers small interpenetrating channels for faster electrolyte access into the electrode which may enhance the rate performance.

Thanks for the tip, FoxKat!

Source: ScienceDaily

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
The only problem is when the batteries get a little better, then they just get a little smaller and the only benefit the consumer ends-up with is a little thinner already-too-thin phone.

Anyone else notice that Apple - which hasn't innovated in like 5 years - is mainly to blame for this useless race on retina displays and ultra-thin phones?

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
The only problem is when the batteries get a little better, then they just get a little smaller and the only benefit the consumer ends-up with is a little thinner already-too-thin phone.

Anyone else notice that Apple - which hasn't innovated in like 5 years - is mainly to blame for this useless race on retina displays and ultra-thin phones?

I agree that phones will get thinner, and that at some point too thin may not be the best idea, but we will see.
As far as Apple not innovating in 5 years, nah. They have, and they will continue to do so, this is why they make billions. Money in the bank doesn't lie. iOS8 has some good innovations too:
New iOS 8 Features That Android Actually Needs to Adopt | Droid Life

Yes, ideas from Android, but implemented better.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Actually, if you look/measure your hand you'd be surprising by the amount of curvature. Ergonomically speaking, we are WELL past the point of too thin (not to mention curved/rounded backs).

I noticed an immediate difference when I added an extended battery to my Rezound - almost double the thickness but gave it a deeper, rounded back and it simply fit much better in my hand.

"Thinner" is pure marketing garbage. It's a waste of money and has ZERO practical benefit to the consumer.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
"Thinner" is pure marketing garbage. It's a waste of money and has ZERO practical benefit to the consumer.

I always think of durability when I see phones getting thinner. I just know the day will come when I'll have a phone in my back pocket, sit down and . . . *SNAP!*

...The phone will yield to the curve of my supple booty.

Briankbl

Reaction score
We've been hearing about new battery tech for years...tired of the talk. Let's get some consumer grade stuff already!

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I always think of durability when I see phones getting thinner.

What's so maddening is components get smaller...so do they give us a bigger battery and a 2nd SD slot (or at least one?!?), more storage and maybe some extra radios...NOOOOOO! They just make the thing thinner.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I agree that phones will get thinner, and that at some point too thin may not be the best idea, but we will see.

until I can have this

[video=youtube;suaTOGgzQxA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suaTOGgzQxA[/video]

then they need to stop being so thin.

But e-paper... I'd be alright with that.

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
The reason they do thinner phones is because the larger the phone gets the more people think it won't fit in their pocket, or that it is heavier. I see it every day. As soon as I have them put the s4 or s5 in their pocket, they comment on how they never thought it would fit.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes, ideas from Android, but implemented better.
Didn't folks say that about Apple maps too?

Thinner phones being blamed on iPhone I have to respectfully disagree with. It's been the same since 07.
Non removable storage and battery is a different story BUT if folks keep opening their wallets for things they don't particularly like, companies will continue to make and sell them.

I'll believe the 10 minute charge with no lasting harm to the battery when I see it.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
The reason they do thinner phones is because the larger the phone gets the more people think it won't fit in their pocket,

That has everything to do with length/width and really nothing to do with whether it's 8mm (@ 1/3 inch) or 16mm (2/3 inch) thick. It's a trivial and useless spec that Apple made into a point of differentiation.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7

Kodiak799, I agree to an extent, as akhenax (and others), below mentions... There comes a point where thin is too thin and at which time battery size becomes a non-issue. For instance the original Droid RAZR (Not the Droid RAZR MAXX or the Droid MAXX), was IMHO too thin at the bottom through the top 5/6.

View attachment 71712 (7.1mm)

It did suffer battery capacity issues with its "Powerful 1,780mAh battery", hence the introduction of the Droid RAZR MAXX. In fact, when the RAZR MAXX with its 3,300mAh battery was introduced only months after the RAZR, many RAZR owners felt slighted. it was only slightly thiner through the bottom 5/6 of the frame than the top 1/6 (8.89mm), but I for one moved from the RAZR to the RAZR MAXX as soon as I could and was quite pleased overall. The thicker profile actually felt better in my hands, and the markedly longer battery life was a huge blessing.

Since then I've owned three other phones, the Samsung Galaxy S4, the Droid MAXX, and the Moto X which I am currently using as my primary phone (though I still have the Droid MAXX). The S4 was a complete bust for me with battery life, and in fact I wound up carrying TWO spare batteries with me at all times just so I wouldn't run out. The Droid MAXX never failed me with providing power through the entire day and in many cases I forgot to charge it overnight and woke to find it still had upwards of 60% of remaing battery power.

The Moto X has been a relatively big surprise. With its smaller form factor, smaller screen, non-permanent control buttons, and although it has a considerably smaller battery, it has still managed to run well and give me full-day's power unless I go hog-wild and do a lot of WiFi Tethering (which is mainly why I'm using it daily now). It is a Developer Edition so I also plan to experiment with other ROMs, but haven't devoted any time to that in the recent month and a half due to a health issue that had me in the hospital and under some pretty heavy medications for the last month. I'm glad to say that the issue is over, but word of advice...don't ignore a tooth-ache. Nuff said.