need help with themeing framework and/or Gimp

Shelooga

Reaction score
im trying to take a stock framework-res file and alter the .png images to my liking. im going to swap images out from all over the place but i also wanted to add my own colors to some objects. i noticed though some of the 'highlighted.png' or 'unfocused.png' files are orange in all ROMs and themes. and when i use gimp to fill the orange with green, the area turns black on most of these type of icon files. can anyone tell me why i cannot make these the color id like? im thinking it may have something to do with 'layered' images in gimp. but im new to image editing so im not sure how to access the invisible layers and such. but i am also wondering if tinkering with these seemingly protected icons will cause problems when i pack all this back together and try to push this.

anyone input or help is greatly appreciated!!!

OP
Shelooga

Shelooga

Reaction score
im 95% done a theme im working on. it works (besdies the battery disappearing while plugged in to charge), but im looking to really put my own spin on it.
can anyone tell me if these .png files cannot be altered? or if they can, how to?

fyi, the theme is a combo of icons from darkslide, radioactive, black juice and liberty green ginger. also putting the finishing touches on a boot animation of a dancing droid

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Change from indexed mode to rgb... most likely why you can't alter

OP
Shelooga

Shelooga

Reaction score

so if i change these from rgb to index mode will that screw with the end product when i put it all together? i kind of figured since the colors were the same in almost all the themes/roms ive unzipped and stripped down that i shouldnt mess with them. but i also noticed some icons that vary between themes/roms also are in this format and cannot be altered. but im not satisfied with just swapping these out; i want to make it the exact icon of my choice

also, do you have any idea why the battery icons (taken from darkslide) will disappear when i plug the phone in? once it reaches full the 100% icon does show, but none of the animation before that..

Last edited:

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score

so if i change these from rgb to index mode will that screw with the end product when i put it all together? i kind of figured since the colors were the same in almost all the themes/roms ive unzipped and stripped down that i shouldnt mess with them. but i also noticed some icons that vary between themes/roms also are in this format and cannot be altered. but im not satisfied with just swapping these out; i want to make it the exact icon of my choice

also, do you have any idea why the battery icons (taken from darkslide) will disappear when i plug the phone in? once it reaches full the 100% icon does show, but none of the animation before that..
No, if it is currently indexed then the color change may not take as well.... you want it as rgb...under image/mode in GIMP.
As for some of the pngs you aren't able to mod, probably .9.pngs which should be modified while decompiled either by zooming in to about 400% with GIMP so that you can see the black guides, or nodded with draw9patch

OP
Shelooga

Shelooga

Reaction score

No, if it is currently indexed then the color change may not take as well.... you want it as rgb...under image/mode in GIMP.
As for some of the pngs you aren't able to mod, probably .9.pngs which should be modified while decompiled either by zooming in to about 400% with GIMP so that you can see the black guides, or nodded with draw9patch

thanks man, looks like ive got more work to do.
if anyone can answer why the battery disappears only when charging i'll be their best friend?

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score

if anyone can answer why the battery disappears only when charging i'll be their best friend?
Highest likelyhood is that the png for fully charged is named incorrectly.... so when the battery is fully charged and the xml calls for stat batt anim 5 or other, that png name isn't there

make sure the batt you swapped in has the same name as the batt icons you pulled

OP
Shelooga

Shelooga

Reaction score

Highest likelyhood is that the png for fully charged is named incorrectly.... so when the battery is fully charged and the xml calls for stat batt anim 5 or other, that png name isn't there

make sure the batt you swapped in has the same name as the batt icons you pulled

any chance you would be able to tell me how i can create my own xml so that i could set the parameters to my choosing? there are so many special characters in the ones ive opened i havent wanted to mess with them

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score

any chance you would be able to tell me how i can create my own xml so that i could set the parameters to my choosing? there are so many special characters in the ones ive opened i havent wanted to mess with them
Sounds like you opened an undecompiled xml.... in order to be able to view and edit the XMLs as regular text, you need to decompile it....you should look into APKManager, it'll decompile APKs so that you can view all the XMLs, from there you can edit whatever, then recompile it

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
beautiful. thanks mbk!
np... the XMLs you appear to want to edit are usually in the drawables folder and would most likely be named as stat sys batt ***.xml, along those lines, one to set parameters and one to specify the called png name