bootable apk Help | ui_print | updater-script

scarmack

Reaction score
I want to start making my own themes and maybe throw them out into the community, ive searched and dug through dozens of threads and spent the last two nights on google.

Right now all i want to change are the system-framework-framework-res.apk-res-drawable-hdpi...files. changing colors and icons just to get the hang of things. Now where i run into a problem is i want to create my own META-INF-updater-script. But in the process of doing so i cant seem to get anything to boot up properly. And i dont want to steal someone elses work or anything. If anyone has any ideas or can point me into the right direction, that would be awesome. I have a few files on my website right now that i download onto my phone and then boot into clockwork and locate zip and install zip, but nothing. (im running the RC2 Ultimate Droid, so i cant use USB, so i just download the files)

I got 1.1 to go through the ui_prints but yet none of my files changed, then in the process of trying to fix it 1.2-1.4 wont even go through the ui_print. I didnt want to just jump back to 1.1 bc the uiprint worked but because the files still worked being pushed over.

maybe if someone could download the files and just open them up(i use 7zip) and see what im doing wrong. i can donate for your time if you can help me.

| Droid X | ScarMack |

Last edited:

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have no clue if it's the same. Wished I knew. Been trying boot animations and would love to be able to theme.

OP
S

scarmack

Reaction score
heres the logo replacer code.

ui_print("");
ui_print("************************************************");
ui_print("* Logo Replacer *");
ui_print("* Brought to you by: *");
ui_print("* Sean Scarmack *");
ui_print("* www.seanscarmack.com *");
ui_print("");
ui_print("");
ui_print("Updating Logo...");
show_progress(0.050000,0);
assert(package_extract_file("logo.bin", "/tmp/logo.bin.img"),
write_raw_image("/tmp/logo.bin.img", "logo.bin"),
delete("/tmp/logo.bin.img"));
ui_print("Boot Logo Changed ");
show_progress(0.050000,0);

and heres the other one i had attempt.

ui_print("");
ui_print("* ScarMack 1.1 *");
ui_print("* Brought to you by: *");
ui_print("* Sean Scarmack *");
ui_print("* www.seanscarmack.com *");
ui_print("");
ui_print("");
ui_print("Installing ScarMack");
ui_print("Mounting System");
mount("MTD", "system", "/system");
show_progress(0.500000, 40);
ui_print("Extracting Package");
package_extract_dir("system", "/system");
show_progress(0.100000, 10);
ui_print("UnMounting System");
unmount("/system");
ui_print("Thank you for choosing ScarMack 1.0");

OP
S

scarmack

Reaction score
they are all under that link. if you dont feel like following the link, give me a few and ill try to get them up. Im on my 9th attempt, i finally got it to boot, but then everything started freezing up and force closing and finally got it back to the original.

OP
S

scarmack

Reaction score
Heres the last one i did. i simply named it ScarMack1.9. It booted up, but then everything froze and force closed. i changed the whole updater script in 1.9 which i got from another theme. im stumped

OP
S

scarmack

Reaction score
nothing has changed in the drawable folders, all the png files are the same. the only thing ive messed with was the script.

I can change out all the files using a current working theme and just replace the files and repack, but i want to start digging and learning how the stuff works. and the script right now is giving me trouble.

jrummy16

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I bet the reason why you were getting weird reactions was because you modified or used a files that did not coincide with your system. framework-res and services affects a lot so I would redo them with your current files on your phone.

I attached a very simple update.zip that should install whatever you put in the system folder on your phone. Just remember some things need permissions. Also below are examples of how to install things in an updater-script (differant than update-script)

Code:
## this installs stuff to /system ##
mount("ext3", "/dev/block/mmcblk1p21", "/system");
package_extract_dir("system", "/system");
unmount("/system");

## This installs stuff to /data ##
mount("MTD", "userdata", "/data");
package_extract_dir("data", "/data");
unmount("/userdata");

## This installs stuff to the /sdcard ##
mount("MTD", "sdcard", "/sdcard");
package_extract_dir("sdcard", "/sdcard");
unmount("/sdcard");

OP
S

scarmack

Reaction score
sweet! I got it to work. Thank you so much rummy! expect a donation coming your way soon.

The first time I did it all my apps kept force closing so I finally booted back to the original ROM (UD RC2), and remade the folder doing the same exact steps and somehow it worked the second time? Anyways, thank you again.

OP
S

scarmack

Reaction score
okay quick update. after fully using my phone this morning, i still get force closes on a few things, but its not as bad as it was the first time.