Need help with tethering on a mac PDAnet

chomorro

Reaction score
I have the program installed on the phone and my macbook pro laptop. All software versions are what they are supposed to be according to the pdanet site. When i connect my phone to the laptop the pdanet icon red X disappears indicating phone is connected. Then i click connect on the laptop icon and is just says connecting for a long time. I let it run for about ten minutes and still nothing.

What am i doing wrong?

Thanks for the help.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I use a Mac. I'm rooted so I use tethering. Are you rooted, if so, I would suggest using the Wifi tethering.

BTW-- I installed PDAnet but never used it. I remember someone telling me that PDAnet did work just fine with a Mac.

Mike

mpax9

Reaction score
I had trouble with PDANet as well.

I am rooted - no roms installed though - would I be able to enable JUST WIFI Tethering? Like is there an APK that I can download so I can utilize tethering? If so, where is this APK?

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
My sense is you need to install a rom then install a rom then a wifi tether kernel. Here is a section of the process developed by Matth3W that I use:
If you want to WiFi tether, keep going, otherwise skip this section

All new kernels/ROMs should have WiFi tether, but if they don't you will need to download the apk file from here and install it using steps 56 or 57.
56. You can either download Astro File Manager (free, not a bad program) from the market....

57. ...or Root Explorer (paid app, much much much better and something we will be using later on the guide).

58. Make sure under settings > applications you have "use unsigned applications" or whatever it says. Top box. It will give you a warning but just ignore it.

59. Navigate to the file you just downloaded and click it. Do not explore the file in Astro, but choose open and install. In Root Explorer just choose install.

60. My settings for WiFi tether are...uncheck use Bluetooth, check Enable WiFi Encryption, set up a passphrase (make sure it is 13 characters), change the SSID or leave it default (I left it default), Change channel to 07, power mode active, enable access control unchecked (my preference), change LAN first option, everything else left it the way it was.

mrdorunjr

Reaction score
I have the program installed on the phone and my macbook pro laptop. All software versions are what they are supposed to be according to the pdanet site. When i connect my phone to the laptop the pdanet icon red X disappears indicating phone is connected. Then i click connect on the laptop icon and is just says connecting for a long time. I let it run for about ten minutes and still nothing.

What am i doing wrong?

Thanks for the help.

i use it on my macbook, it works perfectly fine. usually its just running and it has a red x on it all the time, connects with no issue takes maybe like 30 seconds or so. idk if this will help but try to mount your sd card i noticed it works faster when i do that. other wise i would say 1, unistall and reinstall, also see if its fully updated on your phone it came out with a new update not sure if that effected it as my windows computer said it needed to be updated since the phone had new firmware. other then that im not sure why you are having the issue i used it just the other day with none. ( i am NOT rooted...i was but the sad sad "release" of 2.1 had me unroot it, and well that was a fail im not rooting again cuz it just wasnt stable for me)

/end

mpax9

Reaction score
My sense is you need to install a rom then install a rom then a wifi tether kernel. Here is a section of the process developed by Matth3W that I use:
If you want to WiFi tether, keep going, otherwise skip this section

All new kernels/ROMs should have WiFi tether, but if they don't you will need to download the apk file from here and install it using steps 56 or 57.
56. You can either download Astro File Manager (free, not a bad program) from the market....

57. ...or Root Explorer (paid app, much much much better and something we will be using later on the guide).

58. Make sure under settings > applications you have "use unsigned applications" or whatever it says. Top box. It will give you a warning but just ignore it.

59. Navigate to the file you just downloaded and click it. Do not explore the file in Astro, but choose open and install. In Root Explorer just choose install.

60. My settings for WiFi tether are...uncheck use Bluetooth, check Enable WiFi Encryption, set up a passphrase (make sure it is 13 characters), change the SSID or leave it default (I left it default), Change channel to 07, power mode active, enable access control unchecked (my preference), change LAN first option, everything else left it the way it was.

I downloaded said APK but it seems I'm still missing something that will allow it to work. Anyone know?

OP
C

chomorro

Reaction score
Im not rooted, i will try the mount sd card trick. Maybe that will work.

Nope, mounted fine but just said connecting for about 4 minutes. Then i shut it off.

jimandsue60

Reaction score

Nope, mounted fine but just said connecting for about 4 minutes. Then i shut it off.

You do not need to mount, follow the instructions here each and every time you tether, PdaNet Desktop for Mac

Obviously you do not need to reinstall the software. You do need to open pdanet on your phone and enable it to blue tooth or USB.

Jim

OP
C

chomorro

Reaction score

You do not need to mount, follow the instructions here each and every time you tether, PdaNet Desktop for Mac

Obviously you do not need to reinstall the software. You do need to open pdanet on your phone and enable it to blue tooth or USB.

Jim

Yes those are the exact instructinos i followed. Maybe something else on my comp is conflicting or something. I may take a video of this all and post it to make sure im doing the steps correctly.

kilo

Reaction score
I initially had a lot of trouble getting tethering to work on my mac with PDAnet / Droid. If updated software is on both mac and phone, the steps are:

1) Plug phone into computer
2) Run PDA net on phone
3) Click status bar icon for PDANet and click connect

Pdanet should change to active connections / data usage screen if connection is successful.

For Bluetooth tethering, my mac got a little finiicky and following the directions on PDAnets website essentially worked minus the need to remove and re-pair (not repair) the phone and my mac at different times to get the connection to stick.

chrisnoxid

Reaction score
i had this issue too.. i dont know if this helps but i had to turn off the other internet connections on the mac side for it to work.. if you are connected to your home wireless or anything it will not connect through PDAnet

OP
C

chomorro

Reaction score
^^ I tried that but no go, i noticed something wrong with the install so im going to use app cleaner and delete and reinstall pdanet for laptop side. Thanks all for the help, i sent an email to the dev but no response yet.

OP
C

chomorro

Reaction score
GadZookssss i figure it out, im posting from PDAnet right now. So for people who are having the same problem. When you install the laptop program, there is an extra step i had to do that is not listed.

Install the program.
restart laptop
then go to network settings under system preferences
Click the + sign on the bottom left
From that drop down menu, select the ethernet adapter with (en2) in the title
Then make sure its dhcp, and click apply.

Thats it works great :) Thanks all for the help.

janderson2k

Reaction score
GadZookssss i figure it out, im posting from PDAnet right now. So for people who are having the same problem. When you install the laptop program, there is an extra step i had to do that is not listed.

Install the program.
restart laptop
then go to network settings under system preferences
Click the + sign on the bottom left
From that drop down menu, select the ethernet adapter with (en2) in the title
Then make sure its dhcp, and click apply.

Thats it works great :) Thanks all for the help.

OMG - I love you man....

<long uncomfortable hug>