Need help with HDMI Out for NFL Mobile

dautley

Reaction score
There is nothing in this thread ATM that is a method of circumventing the restriction on ICS.

There is discussion about how people don't think its right, but no method.

I don't think it's right ether, if Verizon is going to sell a phone and advertize that it has HDMI they should require the NFL app to work with it or put up a big disclaimer, just another example of how the consumer always gets it in the end....

mdsd77

Reaction score
yeah my original statements were based on if there was a way, but after seeing the restrictions I understand now why there is no method...

welsalex

Reaction score
Method found on razr forum.

I used to use Xternal Display until I got a RAZR Maxx that has ICS and the app doesn't work anymore. Xternal Display actually has their code posted online so I downloaded it and tried to see if there were any changes that would allow it to work with ICS. Turns out Motorola had an HDMI API that it discontinued for ICS. This API is what Xternal Display used and without it, there is not an easy way of making the app work on 4.0+.

After some work I did come up with a new solution so I can get NFL mobile mirrored to my TV! You must have the Android SDK tools installed and the Developer driver from Motorola installed for this to work. You can download the driver at https://developer.motorola.com/tools/usb_drivers/handset_usb_driver/
  1. Connect HDMI cable to phone and connect USB to computer and phone
  2. Open up command prompt and change directory to your SDK folder/platform-tools. For me, that is C:\Android-sdk\platform-tools
  3. Send the following without the quotes: "adb shell am broadcast -a com.motorola.intent.action.externaldisplaystate --ei hdmi 0 --ei hdcp 1"
  4. Open up NFL Mobile and enjoy it on a bigger screen!
NFL Mobile looks for broadcasts that indicate the state of the HDMI port and stops accessing the streaming content when it sees that HDMI has been plugged in. By sending a command over the ADB interface, we are effectively tricking NFL mobile into thinking that the HDMI cable has been removed! It's not quite as nice as Xternal Display was since it's not just an app on the phone anymore, but at least there is a way!

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
I don't think it's right ether, if Verizon is going to sell a phone and advertize that it has HDMI they should require the NFL app to work with it or put up a big disclaimer, just another example of how the consumer always gets it in the end....

I doubt verizon has that level of authority with this deal. The NFL was the one who made the decision to block HDMI out for the app. In the same way that other content providers blocked it. Verizon just pays money to be the "exclusive" whatever they are. It's not like they can make demands with the NFL to do stuff as I'm sure they'd just go over to another provider. Want to complain go to the source of it all. The movie studios/NFL/whatever.

budhambre

Reaction score
Somebody please hack this! I wanna watch my NFL on a normal screen!