Need help picking a phone!!!!

poooookah78

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Long time member and lurker here. I have loved android phones ever since I got my OG Droid a long time ago. I have since upgraded (downgraded in my opinion) to the Galaxy Nexus. My company provides me a phone and I'm dropping my other line (even though I'm grandfathered into unlimited data) because it's SO expensive with the features I have. My question is this:

If you had any choice of existing or upcoming phones in Mid October, what model would you pick? A little background on me, I love the newest thing (who doesn't?). I loved the OG droid for the rooting, overclocking, etc. I was excited for the Nexus because it was so open and made by Google, so OTA updates were something I was looking for.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks!!

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
The newest thing would probably be the G2 thats out now but the Note 3 is just around the corner.

I too was once a flash-o-holic and came from the Nexus as well. You'll find that the phones today probably don't really need any overclocking as they're already so powerful. As an owner of the s4 for the past 2mo all I've done is rooted, that's it. I'm a fan of TW now and really find no real reason to ROM unless you want that vanilla android experience.

You also have solid choices in other phones such as the X or One. I've heard that the X is what the nexus should have been and that it's a great phone. I have yet to see one in person but hopefully I will be changing that soon and picking up one as an extra toy. I am a bit spoiled by the s4 though so don't know if I'm going to end up even trying the X but I'll be making that decision in a matter of days

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Mike.757

Silver Member
Reaction score
I agree with Dezymond. I will be getting the Note 3 as soon as I can afford it. I looked at the various marketing videos and saw some very cool things that the Note 3 can do. Sure, some of them are available to all androids but it got me excited none the less.

Now, other reasons for the Note 3 over anything else. I like Motorola and Samsung products but with Moto going to the sealed battery and no memory slots (both are non-starters for me) I am left with Samsung and, therefore, the Note 3.

But, of course, that is one man's opinion. Do the research and pick the phone that best fits your needs.

Carol_in_FL

Reaction score
Hey everybody, if you're like me and feel the physical keyboard is important, I just wanted to share this post I found on phonearena.com under "Is this the Motorola Droid 5?". It kind of gives a new perspective to all those new features that are coming out on the new phones and makes me feel better about buying a new battery for my D3 (so I can hopefully wait out the new D5 with specs like the Droid Maxx). -- 48. Simprocity 26 Aug 2013, 21:39 posted on 0 Posts: 1; Member since: 26 Aug 2013

Unfortunately, some of you have some sort of addiction or affliction to the latest gadget someone tells you is cool. However cool the gadget is, it doesn't make you cool! Some of you feel that if you don't have the latest fad device, you'll be left in some Purgatory of loneliness until your contract dictates you can leave and go to fad Heaven.

Others have a purpose for the phones they choose that diverts from the latest and greatest fad. It's called functionality.

In my case I chose a DROID 4 a couple years ago because of the keyboard and other important features. For example:

Usable screen real estate. Your Samsung GS4 may have a larger screen, but the on screen keyboard consumes a substantial amount. When performing remote control functions, the pop up on screen keyboard is annoying. If you are drafting business text and emails, you definately don't want to use an on screen keyboard or swype unless you want embarrasing unprofessional results.

Reception: I personally have had the opportunity to try many many makes and models of phones. Motorola reception is always best in bad areas. Nokia in my experience is second. Casio seems to do pretty well. The Samsung models are always bad. The GS3 is awful and the GS4 is improved, but not as good as those I have mentioned. iPhones, well, sorry Apple.

Voice quality: All Samsung GS have terrible voice quality. The GS4, again, is better than the 3, but not great. Speakerphones always seem to be best on PTT phones. Motorola makes PTT phones and always has good voice quality and speakerphones.

Build quality: Motorola makes tough phones. I have seen more broken Samsung GS3/4s. Can anyone say cheap plastic? Come on Samsung!

Battery life: Motorola has great battery life when comparing to other phones released in the same time period. After all, what good is a wireless phone that is dead or tethered to a charger.

If you want to get work done, try a DROID with a keyboard. If you have time in your life to NFC playlists, you probably could use a job, some exercise or could help someone by donating time to the charity of your choice. If you are worried you might miss out on a feature you won't use, get the loaded GS4 (and be sure to buy a protective case or insurance). If you are/were a C or lower student, save yourself all the Android complexity (power) and buy an iPhone.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'd agree with the others, given your timeline and desires to have the latest and greatest, the G2 or Note3.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Notetoo

Mike.757

Silver Member
Reaction score
Mark, I respect your desire to have a physical keyboard and of them all, the Droid 4 is pretty much the best. However, I don't care for them and like the virtual keyboard. The only time I really want a full screen is when I am watching Netflix!! :D All of the other times I am good with sharing the screen with the keyboard.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Mark, I respect your desire to have a physical keyboard and of them all, the Droid 4 is pretty much the best. However, I don't care for them and like the virtual keyboard. The only time I really want a full screen is when I am watching Netflix!! :D All of the other times I am good with sharing the screen with the keyboard.

Who me? I was agreeing with you. I haven't used a physical keyboard since the enV1 was new

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Notetoo

droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
I agree with Michael....Note 3 for sure! I was a previous Moto advocate, however since getting my 3s that ship has sailed....:D

johnnie113

Reaction score
Not sure how much is your budget, if you can pay anything, then Note 3 is really a good choice.

Carol_in_FL

Reaction score
Oops!! I meant to direct that to Carol!!

I really do prefer a physical keyboard, but I have been researching all the new phones and the Note 3 does look attractive. I figure with the 13 MP camera, the bigger screen and the stylus I probably could manage without the physical keyboard. However, what about some of the other problems noted by Simprocity, like the durability (the flimsy plastic case), the reception and the voice quality? The durability was one thing I was concerned about with the Note 3, since I just throw my phone (a Droid 3 in a case) in my pocketbook and treat it pretty rough. The one hands-on video I saw yesterday of the Note 3 showed a very, thin, flexible plastic back to the phone -- not much protection for all those fancy, expensive circuits that will have to last 2 years. Can some Note 2 current owners comment on their experience regarding these issues?

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I really do prefer a physical keyboard, but I have been researching all the new phones and the Note 3 does look attractive. I figure with the 13 MP camera, the bigger screen and the stylus I probably could manage without the physical keyboard. However, what about some of the other problems noted by Simprocity, like the durability (the flimsy plastic case), the reception and the voice quality? The durability was one thing I was concerned about with the Note 3, since I just throw my phone (a Droid 3 in a case) in my pocketbook and treat it pretty rough. The one hands-on video I saw yesterday of the Note 3 showed a very, thin, flexible plastic back to the phone -- not much protection for all those fancy, expensive circuits that will have to last 2 years. Can some Note 2 current owners comment on their experience regarding these issues?

There are millions of happy Samsung S3 / S4 / Note / Note 2 owners that have the thin flexible plastic back and keep coming back for more. I wouldn't worry about it at all. I've only heard of the display breaking when dropped, cant remember ever hearing about any damage other than that.