Need Help Getting Started

JOSHSKORN

Reaction score
I've looked at the stickied thread on the Safestrap Guide for RAZR. Problem is, it was written over a year ago and a newer version of safestrap and Android is available. Secondly, when going to the site, I don't know which file to download and install for which part of the instructions. I also saw another thread where someone installed Safestrap via mattlgroff's utility, and I did not see an option for this unless I missed it.

I'm on JB 4.1.2 (the OTA .16 version).

My phone IS rooted.

My overall goal is to install CM 10.2. Can someone point me in the right direction?

GotnFX

Reaction score
Here is the thread:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...t912-jellybean-windows-mac-linux-all-one.html

But you don't need it since you are rooted already.

Safe strap is like an app that you would download from the Play Store except you can only get it from Hashcodes site. Assuming you have the US VZ version, you can download any SS version apk that has spyder in the name..ie Safestrap 3.5x spyder. Once you download, go to download in your drawer and open up the apk. It will ask you to install.

Check this video out..it talks about an older version of SS, but gives you an idea of how to use it

[video=youtube;9_YD_QBy7Zg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_YD_QBy7Zg&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

This person also has another video on the newer version of SS and so check them out as well. Good Luck! You'll be happy with CM once you have it on your Maxx.

OP
J

JOSHSKORN

Reaction score
Safe strap is like an app that you would download from the Play Store except you can only get it from Hashcodes site. Assuming you have the US VZ version, you can download any SS version apk that has spyder in the name..ie Safestrap 3.5x spyder. Once you download, go to download in your drawer and open up the apk. It will ask you to install.

Check this video out..it talks about an older version of SS, but gives you an idea of how to use it

[video=youtube;9_YD_QBy7Zg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_YD_QBy7Zg&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

This person also has another video on the newer version of SS and so check them out as well. Good Luck! You'll be happy with CM once you have it on your Maxx.

Thank you, I did highlight a portion of your text which was the meat and potatoes of what I needed.

I looked at the playlist and will actually off of this video:

[video=youtube;XXtwGQ0LpHE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXtwGQ0LpHE&list=PLaPvcEA8BA-I4mODsZdh-OVm5EV0MHt9U&index=24[/video]

According to the video, you place the folder on your sdcard, and he puts it in the ROM folder. Not sure if that is necessary or not but I will do the same.

One thing I'm unsure of, is, what to do after. It looks like he's doing something in Boot Options but I don't follow it and why some options are red.

Another thing, when installing CM 10.2 in the following video, if you go to 3:16, it lists two files. Where do you get the Google Apps?

[video=youtube;DCEOrsqKHLo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCEOrsqKHLo&list=PLaPvcEA8BA-I4mODsZdh-OVm5EV0MHt9U[/video]

Edit: Whoops! Link for Google Apps is in the description of the video!

Edit #2: Important Files (for my notes - correct me if I'm wrong):

Safestrap
Safestrap-Spyder-3.53.apk

CM 10.2 (Nightly Files - Update probably recommended often)
CM 10.2 - cm-10.2-20130915-NIGHTLY-spyder.zip
Google Apps: - gapps-jb-20130813-signed.zip

Last edited:

YellowJacket

Reaction score
Looks good Josh.

The nightlies have been very stable so it is not necessary to update them often... unless you just want to. The good things about the updates though is it is a simple process that is all done through CM. No need to wipe everything other than the cache and reflash.

David

OP
J

JOSHSKORN

Reaction score
Looks good Josh.

The nightlies have been very stable so it is not necessary to update them often... unless you just want to. The good things about the updates though is it is a simple process that is all done through CM. No need to wipe everything other than the cache and reflash.

David

Thanks again, David. I'm going to try this in the morning. Will I need to reinstall all of my apps? Is this essentially the same thing as having a dual-boot PC (i.e. Windows 7/XP)? In which case, the answer would be yes.

GotnFX

Reaction score
Thank you, I did highlight a portion of your text which was the meat and potatoes of what I needed.

I looked at the playlist and will actually off of this video:

YouTube Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXtwGQ0LpHE&list=PLaPvcEA8BA-I4mODsZdh-OVm5EV0MHt9U&index=24

According to the video, you place the folder on your sdcard, and he puts it in the ROM folder. Not sure if that is necessary or not but I will do the same.

One thing I'm unsure of, is, what to do after. It looks like he's doing something in Boot Options but I don't follow it and why some options are red.

Red is just highlighting that fact that the Stock ROM is active. It is like having two boot options in Safe Strap. One side is your stock and the other have ROM slots to where you can download and boot into customs ROMs. Check out this video:

[video=youtube;XkgV327UPCM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkgV327UPCM&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

Once your are in the stock ROM mack a backup..in SS there is a button that says backup. This way if something goes wrong you could always go recover your back up.

OP
J

JOSHSKORN

Reaction score
If I ONLY install Safestrap and don't do anything upon bootup, will I be booted into the Stock ROM? Do I have to tap a button to get into Safestrap when my phone is booting up?

Edit

Progress: Safestrap installed. Trying to backup my Stock ROM. Should I have changed a setting or will it automatically go to my SD Card? Just waiting for it now.

Last edited:
OP
J

JOSHSKORN

Reaction score
Help!! A step has been missed on the videos I'm looking at. I can't tell which Data Partition size to set.

YellowJacket

Reaction score
1 gig data partition is fine.

Gotta thank GotnFX EDIT: AND GoCliffGO as they are the ones who got me on the right track. :)

Once you install your new rom, it will walk you through the setup just like when you start fresh with your phone after a FDR. Log onto you google account and all your apps should install, including any paid aps you have. They will be stored in their own partition so any updates that are done will be done to the ones on that ROM. If you switch back to stock, then those apps will update too. Easy as pie.

When your phone boots and you see the safestrap boot screen you can let it continue or press the left or right soft button to choose safestrap or the current ROM. Just letting it go will boot into whatever ROM you used last.

David

Last edited:

GotnFX

Reaction score
1 gig data partition is fine.

Gotta thank GotnFX as he is the one who got me on the right track. :)

Once you install your new rom, it will walk you through the setup just like when you start fresh with your phone after a FDR. Log onto you google account and all your apps should install, including any paid aps you have. They will be stored in their own partition so any updates that are done will be done to the ones on that ROM. If you switch back to stock, then those apps will update too. Easy as pie.

When your phone boots and you see the safestrap boot screen you can let it continue or press the left or right soft button to choose safestrap or the current ROM. Just letting it go will boot into whatever ROM you used last.

David

Doh..ya beat me to it..:)

OP
J

JOSHSKORN

Reaction score
OMG, what did I do? I was in Safestrap and my finger hit the middle button on the bottom, it looks like a square (between the back and the home button). now I see black screen with the text "Updating partition details...". Other lines include "Activating ROM Slot", "Creating System.img", "Creating Filesystem.img"

I'm a bit freaked out. Anyone??

I see this when tapping on Boot Options. I had renamed Rom Slot 1 to something else but it set it back to rom slot 1. I am unable to get back to Stock ROM, much less, even use my phone.

It's worse than I thought. It now is giving me the message "No OS Is installed. Are you sure you want to power off?"

Edit: Please disregard the above. I solved the problem, not sure how but my phone now works.

Last edited:

andymandi1989

Reaction score
need help getting my lost picture from my internal storage and my phone is rooted i have the droid razr maxx xt912 model

ASAP NEED HELP ASAP

OP
J

JOSHSKORN

Reaction score
need help getting my lost picture from my internal storage and my phone is rooted i have the droid razr maxx xt912 model

ASAP NEED HELP ASAP

Then create your own thread. This thread has nothing to do with finding a picture and you'll get a better response, particularly with an appropriate thread title.

I'd plug it in though to a Windows PC (i'm sure MAC would do the same thing but I wouldn't know how) and just search the drive.