simple newbie questions/ext or int sd card

azhummer

Reaction score
Hi all,

a few questions..

1. can I install a custom rom WITHOUT an external sd card on the droid 4.. it has an internal sd card that is never touched by the built in android factory reset.. i'm just not sure if the ROM related wipe/cache etc. will format the internal droid4 sd card?

2. I successfully rooted my droid 4 with 4.1.2 OTA (verizon)... i'm now confident there will be no more OTA's from verizon so i'd like to start with custom ROMS.. Can anyone recommend the "leanest" or closest to stock JB custom ROM for the droid 4... that uses 4.1.2?

3. i cant find a nice clean custom rom/safestrap step-by-step guide specifically for the droid 4... can anyone confirm the precise order of steps (i dont think i need the super detailed steps, just want to make sure i dont brick it by doing safestrap wrong) i should take to install a custom rom on an already rooted Droid4... from what I know itll be install safestrap (not sure what version is recommended now).. can i install rootkeep later if verizon did pump out another OTA after 4.1.2?

4. FoxFi Wi-fi should work with a custom ROM right? (it stopped with verizons JB update)

thx all.. sorry i spent a few hours tryin to search for most of these answers with no solid answers..

myfishbear

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Hi all,

a few questions..

1. can I install a custom rom WITHOUT an external sd card on the droid 4.. it has an internal sd card that is never touched by the built in android factory reset.. i'm just not sure if the ROM related wipe/cache etc. will format the internal droid4 sd card?

2. I successfully rooted my droid 4 with 4.1.2 OTA (verizon)... i'm now confident there will be no more OTA's from verizon so i'd like to start with custom ROMS.. Can anyone recommend the "leanest" or closest to stock JB custom ROM for the droid 4... that uses 4.1.2?

3. i cant find a nice clean custom rom/safestrap step-by-step guide specifically for the droid 4... can anyone confirm the precise order of steps (i dont think i need the super detailed steps, just want to make sure i dont brick it by doing safestrap wrong) i should take to install a custom rom on an already rooted Droid4... from what I know itll be install safestrap (not sure what version is recommended now).. can i install rootkeep later if verizon did pump out another OTA after 4.1.2?

4. FoxFi Wi-fi should work with a custom ROM right? (it stopped with verizons JB update)

thx all.. sorry i spent a few hours tryin to search for most of these answers with no solid answers..
1 yes you need a sdcard. no it won't format your emmc or internal
2 droidhd jb or eclipse jb
3 dl safestrap from hashcode and busybox from Google play
install busybox first, than run the installer. than do the same for safestrap except you flash recovery.then copy the Rom to your sd card and reboot. during the reboot press the hardkey on the left to boot into ss. in ss you make a new Rom slot and wipe system and factory reset and flash. reboot and wait a bit
4. foxfi will not work on jb use WiFi tether... its in both Roma

OP
A

azhummer

Reaction score
1 yes you need a sdcard. no it won't format your emmc or internal
2 droidhd jb or eclipse jb
3 dl safestrap from hashcode and busybox from Google play
install busybox first, than run the installer. than do the same for safestrap except you flash recovery.then copy the Rom to your sd card and reboot. during the reboot press the hardkey on the left to boot into ss. in ss you make a new Rom slot and wipe system and factory reset and flash. reboot and wait a bit
4. foxfi will not work on jb use WiFi tether... its in both Roma

Ok, thank you myfishbear.. just some clarification. at what point of #3 above am I making sure my original "factory/verizon" state is backed up? does safestrap, by default, never touch the primary/original state?.

in your scenario above for #3 is busybox used in any fashion? it seemed safestrap does everything.

i take it WiFi tether works in a similar fashion to foxfi in that, if not abused, verizon may not see it as tethering use? :D