n00b question...

deek

Reaction score
I have been doing some searching, and I wanted to verify before I started messing around with this. I am a Droid X owner through Verizon. I didn't opt for the 3G Mobile Hotspot option for my plan. But, I should still be able to use my phone through available wifi connections w/o a charge correct? You would assume Verizon would rather have you using a different connection over their 3G connection to download content to free up usage. Just looking to verify and not incur any extra charges.

Thanks.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
3G moblie hotspot is $20/month and uses ur phone as a hotspot connection

connecting to wifi on your phone is free (as long as the network is free)

OP
D

deek

Reaction score
3G moblie hotspot is $20/month and uses ur phone as a hotspot connection

connecting to wifi on your phone is free (as long as the network is free)

Thanks... I have seen a few apps that will only run the video via wi/fi connection. So I just wanted to verify first... Still learning a lot about the phone and doing searches. My wifi search just brought up 1000s of threads about tethering... (The run around of using a mobile hotspot)

Now my next noob questions. I am still at version 2.1, and I have used my phone to check for updates. Now, from my understanding, 2.2 is already out. Is that correct? Will I only be able to update when it is available just for me?

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
the 2.2 that is out is a leaked version. the official 2.2 is due for "late summer" (verizons eta) so its up to you what you want..

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
2.2 is out for Droid 1. Droid X had an unofficial RC build leaked and Motorola shut that down. Nobody is hosting it that we are aware of and any links posted get taken down immediately due to a C&D order from Motorola.

2.2 for the Droid X will be available some time in September unless performance continues to be on par with a 5 year-old with a nose flute trying to play Rhapsody in Blue while rollerskating on ball bearings.

OP
D

deek

Reaction score
2.2 is out for Droid 1. Droid X had an unofficial RC build leaked and Motorola shut that down. Nobody is hosting it that we are aware of and any links posted get taken down immediately due to a C&D order from Motorola.

2.2 for the Droid X will be available some time in September unless performance continues to be on par with a 5 year-old with a nose flute trying to play Rhapsody in Blue while rollerskating on ball bearings.

Ha! Well that makes sense.. From what I have read (so far) they should have a speaker fix for the Moto Droid X.. Mine feels quiet compared to normal phones from the past and I am hoping to actually to be able to hear it after the update. Also, for some reason, that I have not checked into, my Alarm seems to offer no sound. Luckily, I use 3 other alarms to make sure I wake up as well.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

hey i only did that once and it wasnt that bad...

OP
D

deek

Reaction score
Played around w/ the WiFi, there is a significant drop off from what my PC gets to what my phone gets as far as download rates go. It's a little faster than 3G, but not by much.

I was pulling about 2 megs via droid X versus 3-4 megs via PC (which is wired and not wireless). My cable internet is 3-5 megs on normal.

I have seen my 3G pull 1 1/2 megs using the speed test app.

Oh well, an improvement, but not drastic.