My review of Google Navigation after 3000 miles

JoeFresco

Reaction score
I've driven more than 3000 miles in the past month with my Droid in its car dock. After using it this much, I have a pretty good understanding of how it works and I wrote a review comparing it to the Magellan GPS I used for the previous 50k miles. I also threw in some tips that might help you better use Google Nav and the Droid while driving. I hope it helps... let me know what you think.
Google Navigation version 1 real life review Joel Kleppinger

pandroid

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
i finally had a chance to use it the navigation app today. coming from a tomtom i really liked it. but you did point out some good downsides like the mph and nightmode, which i missed dearly tonight

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
GREAT article I definitely agree with a lot of your points. I just recently moved and google navigation has been my life saver, not only has it gotten me more confidence to drive in unfamiliar places but I've found it a great way to explore your new surroundings. I can now mostly drive to wherfe I need to go without navigation.

IMO navigation is best when its used for city travel, but due to limitations with cell phone converage I still think a dedicated gps unit is still best when going on long road trips.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Good write up.
I too have noticed that the 'route choices' aren't always the best (trying it driving to somewhere I already know how to get to) but it does re-route very very fast when you don't follow the suggested route.

OP
J

JoeFresco

Reaction score
Sorry. My website went down. I'm working on it.

By the way, I know Google Nav is "in beta," but it's also something they are advertising and promoting with the Droid so I thought a full review was in order, especially because I've used it so much.

omnibus

Reaction score
I'm waiting for your site to come back up but in a recent 1100 mile trip from northeast Wyoming to Phoenix AZ, Google Nav routed the trip more than 200 miles further than Garmin and Microsoft streets and trips. Google steadfastly routed the trip on Interstates while the other routing was on U.S. and state highways but a far more direct route.

Now, after reading your review I agree with almost all of your points except the final one that Google navigation wins. Maybe by comparison to Magellan but certainly not against Garmin. But it's fun to play with if you know in advance where you're going.

Last edited:

jodyberry

Reaction score
Great info - thanks!!

The main issue I've had is getting back to nav after answering a call. I had to do like you said and re-enter my nav address and it'll go back to nav in progress.

As an early release OS, I expect these issues will be resolved at some time. As a (previous) Storm owner, the Droid is FAR better coming out of the gates than the Storm was. I had mine since day one and the Storm STILL lacks the intuitive nature of the Droid.

OP
J

JoeFresco

Reaction score
I'm waiting for your site to come back up but in a recent 1100 mile trip from northeast Wyoming to Phoenix AZ, Google Nav routed the trip more than 200 miles further than Garmin and Microsoft streets and trips. Google steadfastly routed the trip on Interstates while the other routing was on U.S. and state highways but a far more direct route.

Now, after reading your review I agree with almost all of your points except the final one that Google navigation wins. Maybe by comparison to Magellan but certainly not against Garmin. But it's fun to play with if you know in advance where you're going.

I don't really think Google Navigation "wins." The list of downsides is definitely larger than the positives. What I said was "I think Google Nav is good enough to use as a primary means of navigation, but not by a lot." Basically, I think it's workable as it is, which was the question I wanted to answer most. From looking at the cons, it certainly isn't up to the overall level of Magellan, TomTom, or Garmin.

I'm going to edit it later today with links to Android Issues related to Google Navigation (some of the things I brought up in the review), and people who agree that these need to be fixed can star those issues.

ConqSoft

Reaction score
It’s tricky getting back to the overall route in Google Maps so I can see it from a big picture viewpoint rather than my current location. You can’t simply tap “Maps” because that will bring up Google Nav, not Maps. Many times when I am working on this, I end up exiting navigation and have to search again and set up the navigation again. Which leads us to…

Menu -> Route Info

No free roam mode. This is crazy annoying as I love just turning my GPS on so I can see things around me but I already know the way to where I’m going so I don’t really need to set up the route, especially since I might disagree with the route.

Not sure what you mean on this? If I just go to Google Maps it will show my location and follow me as I go...

DPilot

Reaction score
I cannot find any way to save a location other than creating a contact for it. This is extremely annoying. The icon next to the locations when creating a route makes one think a bookmark could be displayed there, but I can’t figure out how. If you plan on switching Google nav on and off (if you want to use Google Maps, for one thing, or you want to find food, etc, on your route), then make sure a contact has the address you’re routing to, or you’re going to be entering that address a lot.

Longpress on home screen>Shortcuts>Directions

I have all of mine in a folder on one of my home screens named Navigation. Hope that helps. :)