My review of Google Navigation after 3000 miles

mbeatle

Reaction score
I agree with a lot of your points. I've used a Nuvi 350 for the past 3 years and overall I was pretty pleased. Google Navigation shows a lot of promise, but I'd still take a dedicated GPS for longer trips, especially when the route would go into rural areas where I could lose cell coverage.

silverx10

Reaction score
No free roam mode. This is crazy annoying as I love just turning my GPS on so I can see things around me but I already know the way to where I’m going so I don’t really need to set up the route, especially since I might disagree with the route.
Not sure what you mean on this? If I just go to Google Maps it will show my location and follow me as I go...

By all means, please share how you do this, then. I've been looking for this functionality for some time now. Granted, it'll show me where I'm at, but it'll use the dot vice the arrow, and it won't actually FOLLOW me, it'll center the screen on the initial dot location, and if I drive off screen, I have to manually recenter it.

ConqSoft

Reaction score
Are you running the latest Google Maps, and have all the labs enabled?

Just to clarify, I go to the Car Home, and choose View Map (or choose Navigate and hit the Back button once to hide the navigation inputs at the top.)

I'll see if I can get a video of it this week.

Last edited:

silverx10

Reaction score
I know that I've got the latest release of Maps installed, and I'm almost 100% certain that I've got everything enabled that can be, but I'll double-check this evening. 's more than just a li'l chilly out to be going out to check on a Maps setting alone.

...Going out to check on a Maps setting on a food run, however... that's a horse of a different color. ;)

OP
J

JoeFresco

Reaction score
No free roam mode. This is crazy annoying as I love just turning my GPS on so I can see things around me but I already know the way to where I’m going so I don’t really need to set up the route, especially since I might disagree with the route.
Not sure what you mean on this? If I just go to Google Maps it will show my location and follow me as I go...

By all means, please share how you do this, then. I've been looking for this functionality for some time now. Granted, it'll show me where I'm at, but it'll use the dot vice the arrow, and it won't actually FOLLOW me, it'll center the screen on the initial dot location, and if I drive off screen, I have to manually recenter it.

I'll respond to both here.

If you tap the Menu botton then "My Location" in Google Maps, it will center on your location. If you don't touch ANYTHING else, then it will follow you. But if you move the screen or sometimes even change zoom levels after it's following you, it has the behavior your describe.

However, this isn't the same as free roam in Google Nav would be because it doesn't keep the perspective always facing the direction you are going. Instead, I have to interpret what it should look like out my windshield based on the arrow and its location.

OP
J

JoeFresco

Reaction score
I cannot find any way to save a location other than creating a contact for it. This is extremely annoying. The icon next to the locations when creating a route makes one think a bookmark could be displayed there, but I can’t figure out how. If you plan on switching Google nav on and off (if you want to use Google Maps, for one thing, or you want to find food, etc, on your route), then make sure a contact has the address you’re routing to, or you’re going to be entering that address a lot.
Longpress on home screen>Shortcuts>Directions

I have all of mine in a folder on one of my home screens named Navigation. Hope that helps. :)

This is a very good point. I'm going to add it as a tip. The only downside is that you have to enter the address and can't simply tap a location on the map (or use the current location) to save that address. I think its best use is on multi-destination trips so all the destinations can be set up in the folder for the trip ahead of time.

OP
J

JoeFresco

Reaction score
Ok, I updated the review with links to related Android Issues. If you believe these things need work, please star these issues. Thanks.

Dan.Droid

Reaction score

Mine doesn't. I haven't tried setting a route with it yet, but using it while driving to work to test it, I noticed the screen doesn't move for me. It centers on where I start and once I move out of it, I have to thumb the map over. It may just be a setting, but I haven't found it yet.

Dan.Droid

Reaction score
Are you running the latest Google Maps, and have all the labs enabled?

Just to clarify, I go to the Car Home, and choose View Map (or choose Navigate and hit the Back button once to hide the navigation inputs at the top.)

I'll see if I can get a video of it this week.

Latest google maps, yes. Labs enabled, not all, no. I will activate them and test it driving to work in the morning.

OP
J

JoeFresco

Reaction score
I haven't tried after enabling Labs... I just assumed it still would.

Potts112005

Reaction score
I am completely new at using Google Nav, and was just wondering does it route you around traffic if it is heavy or just show the red dot to let you know there is heavy traffic? Thanks.

jimboman

Reaction score
Excellent write up!

I guess from my perspective the Navi the Droid offers is more than enough. This is coming from someone who doesn't frequently have a need to travel great distances, and find specific locations on a map. I also have a speedo in my car that works, and am not overly concerned about excessive light coming from the device at night.

I guess the bottom line is that for a beta app it is quite sufficient. For folks looking for more usability features it might not be for them.

Big Lou

Reaction score
One thing that constantly drives me crazy is how it speaks literally every possible road for a highway.

"In 1/4 mile, turn left onto Exit 162 Highway 64 West towards Wentzville Missouri 40 South Missouri 61 West"

Not only is this confusing, but by the time it's done saying everything, I've come to the turn and it says it AGAIN!!!