my Razr keyboard doesn't work while connected to charger?

bellyLOL

Reaction score
I upgraded to the Droid Razr Dec 2011 and finally sent it back because my keyboard randomly messed up,ie, added letters, numbers,
the screen would switch to the number screen, returns would appear in the middle of typing, the cursor moved around. RESULT: I was
Sent a used like new phone that had the same keyboard issues. And to make a further long story short... I discovered tonight that
these keyboard issues were only happening while my Dro
id Razr was plugged in to the house chargers, but not the car phone charger?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I upgraded to the Droid Razr Dec 2011 and finally sent it back because my keyboard randomly messed up,ie, added letters, numbers,
the screen would switch to the number screen, returns would appear in the middle of typing, the cursor moved around. RESULT: I was
Sent a used like new phone that had the same keyboard issues. And to make a further long story short... I discovered tonight that
these keyboard issues were only happening while my Dro
id Razr was plugged in to the house chargers, but not the car phone charger?

A known issue that is far worse with third party chargers but is either very minor or a non-issue with the stock Motorola charger.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2

keel098890

Reaction score
So you seem to know about the problem, and I'm here posting about it in August of 2012, yet I still have the same issue with my phone. Instead of telling us the problem (which we already know) why don't you guys fix it? Just a thought

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
So you seem to know about the problem, and I'm here posting about it in August of 2012, yet I still have the same issue with my phone. Instead of telling us the problem (which we already know) why don't you guys fix it? Just a thought

Why the hostility? You do realize that this isn't a forum owned or operated by Motorola, right? There are many things that we can't just fix that only Motorola can address. You'd be better off directing that anger towards Motorola directly rather than at people here who freely give of their time to help others.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Also, this isn't an issue only with the RAZR. The screen on my Galaxy S3 becomes inoperable, and then sporadically jumps around, when I use a cheap, third-party charger. It works just fine with all of the OEM chargers I've used (Samsung, Motorola, HTC).

gtofan350

Reaction score
I really [take exception to comments like those by] keel. Just saying... Also my RAZR does the same thing but i just see it as a minor inconvience.

Last edited by a moderator:

kijutsu

Reaction score
A known issue that is far worse with third party chargers but is either very minor or a non-issue with the stock Motorola charger.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2

Really? Is it just the really crappy third party chargers that present the problem? I use one of the high-output dual port chargers in my truck and I've never had an issue with the screen going wonky. I bought it specifically to charge my tablet, but I stuff the phone in using the 1amp port to charge it on the long @)* trip to work.

yaterml

Reaction score
Heck it has this issue with the charger that Verizon sells. Trust me I am plugged in right now and have to keep retyping things.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Really? Is it just the really crappy third party chargers that present the problem? I use one of the high-output dual port chargers in my truck and I've never had an issue with the screen going wonky. I bought it specifically to charge my tablet, but I stuff the phone in using the 1amp port to charge it on the long @)* trip to work.

I am not sure what part of what I said you are in disagreement with. Are you saying your "high-output dual port charger" is one of those "really crappy third party chargers" and yet it doesn't do what I eluded to, therefore what I've said is somehow wrong? Or are you saying it's the phone and it doesn't matter what charger is used (something I can disprove explicitly)? Or are you saying that you agree with what I've said and that your "high-output dual port charger" is NOT the "really crappy third party charger" and your experience backs up my claim? I really don't understand your reasoning. Please help me to know what it is exactly that you are trying to prove with your post.

The screen's digitizer is using a very unique method of detection of your finger's location by reading the Mutual Capacitance at capacitor junctions just below the screen surface, and it's that mutual capacitance, or more accurately the change in that mutual capacitance that is used to triangulate the position of your finger(s), and also allows for multi-touch (detection of more than one contact point at the same time), as well as the ability to detect finger presence even with a screen protector in place. The issue with these screens becoming confused by chargers that are not as well filtered (clean power with little detectable ripple or RF interference), is that they are detecting extremely small changes in electrical charge difference at the junctions beneath the surface of the digitizer's glass, and it's that tiny change in the capacitance beneath the glass and your finger or other potentially electrically charged surface acting on the electrostatic field surrounding the individual capacitors that allows the screen to identify where your finger or other pointing device is positioned.

Many people think these screens actually need finger to glass contact in order to work, but any screen protector that allows these screens to operate can prove this wrong. In fact, a piece of notebook paper, a piece of plastic food wrap (both of which are insulators) can be laid on the screen and you can still select and scroll. In fact, you can place the phone inside a closed zip-lock bag, and still use it normally. You can even (if you're extra steady with your hand and careful), select or scroll the screen without actually touching it, but by getting your finger so close that it is almost touching.

It's not really any different than how a small transistor radio can be made to receive different radio frequencies by bringing your finger near the tuner, instead of turning the tuning knob. What's actually happening behind that knob is a variable capacitor is being adjusted so that the separate elements (vanes) of that capacitor are being either moved closer to or farther away from each other so that more or less of the surface areas of opposing elements are in close alignment, creating more or less potential capacitance between the two closely spaced conductive surfaces. See Variable capacitor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. If you bring your finger near one of those variable capacitors inside the cabinet - without touching while the radio is playing, you will cause a change in the capacitance by disrupting the electrostatic field around it and the radio will actually tune to a different station - all without turning the dial.

So why does a "really crappy third party charger", or even a "not so crappy third party charger" (such as the Apple iPhone charger I have at home) cause this screen to become jittery or act sporadically? Because those tiny fluctuations in the voltages or current coming from the chargers imparts another variable into the already extremely precise calculations going on which detect finger position. ANY additional "vibration" of the voltages can potentially be interpreted as a change in the capacitance difference of a finger being placed on or moved about the screen.

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Heck it has this issue with the charger that Verizon sells. Trust me I am plugged in right now and have to keep retyping things.

This is true to an extent (as I've experienced this too), but no where near as bad is it is with most third party charger adapters.