Droid RAZR Touchscreen Going Crazy While Charging FIX (sort of)

StephenC

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X (2nd Gen)
I'm not sure if I'm the only person this happens to or not, but whenever I charge my Droid RAZR or even my old Droid 2 Global, I absolutely cannot use the touch screen. It would start typing on its own, sending unfinished messages, calling people, etc. I've tried my aftermarket "Verizon" branded charger, my original Motorola charger, and even different sized cables, but nothing seems to help.

Here's the "fix" I found. The other day, I had my RAZR charging and wanted to listen to a song through my band's PA system. I plugged the phone into the system (consisting of a 1400 watt amplifier and two 215s), and what do you know, the touch screen immediately stops acting up. Since then, I've tried connecting my skull candy ear buds while charging the phone to see if they do the trick, but they do not; however, my powered computer speakers work just as well as the PA system.

I'm wondering if anyone else has looked into this issue, or has even had this problem? My findings seem to point towards the "glitch" being a grounding issue inside the phone.

tommyduncan

Reaction score
Are you using the charger that came with the phone? If I used my cousins Blackberry charger or if he used mine the same thing would happen. I use the charger that came with my LG headset and it works fine. So does my g/F's cheap Cricket phone charger...

OP
StephenC

StephenC

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X (2nd Gen)
Are you using the charger that came with the phone? If I used my cousins Blackberry charger or if he used mine the same thing would happen. I use the charger that came with my LG headset and it works fine. So does my g/F's cheap Cricket phone charger...

Yes the charger that came with the phone does the same thing as my Verizon charger. I've tried every logical solution, but to no avail. :( The trick I discovered is the only anecdote I've found so far.

eddiekeyton

Banned
Reaction score
Twitter
eddiekeyton
StephenC said:
Yes the charger that came with the phone does the same thing as my Verizon charger. I've tried every logical solution, but to no avail. :( The trick I discovered is the only anecdote I've found so far.

New charger is needed. Its either under powering or over powering. Prolly a short in it

blake28

Reaction score
Today is the first time that this has happened to me. But I went to Verizon and bought there 9ft power cord and used it last night to charge my phone and I will say that it charged my phone quite fast, but my screen was so laggy and would not hardly work at all. This has never happened with the Moto charger that's like 2 ft. So stupid that u can't get a Moto charger that's longer than that from Verizon. I need a longer cord than that to reach my bed and now I cant even use this after market cord from Verizon, unless u don't use the phone while its charging.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

OP
StephenC

StephenC

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X (2nd Gen)
blake28 said:
Today is the first time that this has happened to me. But I went to Verizon and bought there 9ft power cord and used it last night to charge my phone and I will say that it charged my phone quite fast, but my screen was so laggy and would not hardly work at all. This has never happened with the Moto charger that's like 2 ft. So stupid that u can't get a Moto charger that's longer than that from Verizon. I need a longer cord than that to reach my bed and now I cant even use this after market cord from Verizon, unless u don't use the phone while its charging.

I think maybe the length of the cord has something to do with the screen going insane. I haven't tried my short Moto cord, but the short Verizon cord makes the screen not work. I have the 9ft Verizon cord as well for the same reason and I also have a long Moto cord (from my D2G's dock) and both make the screen screw up.

Sent from my resurrected DROID RAZR that I rebuilt myself

blake28

Reaction score
OK, so I got the screen working perfectly by just not using the Verizon wall adapter and just plug the cord into the Moto adapter. All is well now and I noticed that this Verizon plug is an energy efficiency plug and I think may e it's not providing enough amperage or something of that sort to the device. Because obviously the same cord is working just fine with the Moto plug.

Anyways, has anyone else noticed this problem, and if they did, were they using the Verizon after market, universal energy efficient POS plug???

eddiekeyton

Banned
Reaction score
Twitter
eddiekeyton
eddiekeyton said:
New charger is needed. Its either under powering or over powering. Prolly a short in it

As stated a few days ago by me...use a new charger as that one probably has a shortage or to high amperage or to low amperage.

"Warning: You cant shave with your RAZR. I tried!!"

OP
StephenC

StephenC

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X (2nd Gen)
Looks like I'll be hitting up eBay pretty soon to buy a replacement charger. The charger that originally came with my D2G was not the usb wall adapter, the cable was permanently fixed to the wall adapter. Unfortunately, it died so Verizon replaced it with their piece of junk. Once I get my replacement wall adapter, I will let you all know if it's the Verizon wall adapter causing my problem.

blake28

Reaction score
Yeah that sucks that it wasn't the USB wall adapter and it was 1 if the older models. But what sucks more is the fact that u can't even buy the genuine charger that came with the phone in the first place and we r forced to buy their branded crap that doesn't even work with their own phones that they sell.

Hope u get something that works 4 ya!

OP
StephenC

StephenC

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X (2nd Gen)
Hopefully eBay can pull through for me. Lol

Sent from my resurrected DROID RAZR that I rebuilt myself

drunkclever

Reaction score
As stated a few days ago by me...use a new charger as that one probably has a shortage or to high amperage or to low amperage.

"Warning: You cant shave with your RAZR. I tried!!"

well... i use the charger the stock moto charger... the only problem i have is getting past the screen lock after that its all good.

xtor

Reaction score
StephenC said:
I'm not sure if I'm the only person this happens to or not, but whenever I charge my Droid RAZR or even my old Droid 2 Global, I absolutely cannot use the touch screen. It would start typing on its own, sending unfinished messages, calling people, etc. I've tried my aftermarket "Verizon" branded charger, my original Motorola charger, and even different sized cables, but nothing seems to help.

Here's the "fix" I found. The other day, I had my RAZR charging and wanted to listen to a song through my band's PA system. I plugged the phone into the system (consisting of a 1400 watt amplifier and two 215s), and what do you know, the touch screen immediately stops acting up. Since then, I've tried connecting my skull candy ear buds while charging the phone to see if they do the trick, but they do not; however, my powered computer speakers work just as well as the PA system.

I'm wondering if anyone else has looked into this issue, or has even had this problem? My findings seem to point towards the "glitch" being a grounding issue inside the phone.

I had the same problem, I'd plug my phone into a blackberry charger and plug in my hdmi to stream Netflix, and no touch screen, but, it doesn't happen every time, so i started using the original charger and no problems

point of origin