Physical keyboard duplicates letters

duck on quack

Reaction score
I have no idea if this is related to the ROM or not, but the issue is driving me insane.

Recently when I type anything with the physical keyboard (I never ever use the screen for typing and bought a D2 specifically for the keyboard), it randomly duplicates letters. For example, a text meant to say "Hello, how are you?" would instead be "Hellloo, hoow aree yoouu?"

I've tried tinkering with everything in the keyboard settings but nothing seems to solve the issue. Google results seem to suggest that it is a problem inherent to the Android keyboard, but installing an alternative (such as SwiftKey X) still results in duplicate letters. Any help would be appreciated; I am desperate for a solution.

My apologies if this is unrelated to the ROM itself, but I am curious to know if anyone else on Liberty experiences this.

OP
D

duck on quack

Reaction score
Recently when I type anything with the physical keyboard (I never ever use the screen for typing and bought a D2 specifically for the keyboard), it randomly duplicates letters. For example, a text meant to say "Hello, how are you?" would instead be "Hellloo, hoow aree yoouu?"

I've tried tinkering with everything in the keyboard settings but nothing seems to solve the issue. Google results seem to suggest that it is a problem inherent to the Android keyboard, but installing an alternative (such as SwiftKey X) still results in duplicate letters. Any help would be appreciated; I am desperate for a solution.

dieselmk5

Reaction score
i am having the same exact problem! i thought i had messed up my phone because ive dropped it a few times and whenever i use the physical keyboard every other letter will duplicate over and over again, its so frustrating! i used to rely on the external keyboard so much. currently running the liberty rom version 0.9 but its been doing this since i installed liberty. used to be on froyo fission and didnt have any issues with the keyboard.

edit: and ive tried using multiple keyboard apps and they all seem to have no effect so ive just been using the on-screen swift key app

mjs1015

Reaction score
Yeah my wife and I both have droid 2's but her keyboard does the same thing as yours and mine is fine. I tried everything I could think of to fix it but couldn't. She just uses the on screen keyboard now. Hopefully someone knows the answer to fixing this.

Sent from my CM74D2

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It's a hardware issue. Truth is, the physical D2 keyboard is crap and it can't handle being used daily. So, over time, the keymat under the actual keyboard is worn out causing duplicate letters.

Sent from my Apex'd D2

TheHype

Reaction score
If your like me and you used your physical keyboard alot you probably have just worn out your keyboard.

I took my phone to verizon and they replaced it with a certified refurbished one for free since it was still within the 1 year warranty.

If you want to make claiming your refurbished device quicker call up tech support and tell them you have:
a) disabled any downloaded keyboards
b) taken off auto correct on the physical keyboard
and
c) did a factory restore
and it still has the same issue(or else they will make you go through all these steps.) Once you say you have done that they will start your submission for a new device.

Just remember to sbf before turning it in.

dieselmk5

Reaction score
i thought about that but this problem seeming happened overnight as soon as i installed liberty v.07? too much of a coincidence for me to think the keyboard is just worn out, i used to use the physical keyboard 95% of the time and it definitely didnt wear out over time, just wondering what could possibly cause this to happen

TheHype

Reaction score
Try and restore a nandroid. I doubt its the rom, id say its either the keyboard settings or your keyboard is dying. the keyboard dying is a very common problem with this phone. I know a few people who use the stock droid 2 and have the same problem.

If your 100% sure its not the keyboard itself then i would suggest unistalling all keyboards and disabling auto-replace, auto-cap, and auto-punctuate in built in keyboard (under language & keyboard settings). If it still doesnt work then sbf or restore nandroid where you know it worked and see if it works.

JokerSeven

Reaction score
My fresh out of the box warranty replacement phone is doing the same thing.

Khiraji

Reaction score
Mine has started doing this a little, and it's super annoying. I find it's a lot worse when my hands (and likely the keys) are cold; when it's warm I'm able to strike each key decisively and maybe one in ever 100 letters duplicates.

Still, no real fix... =/

stompsfrogs

Reaction score
I registered for this forum just to say thanks for pointing out that debounce app... you're my hero dancedroid

Jeffyo

Reaction score
We had the same thing and on both phones one did it and one did not. The stock phone was the one that did that so its not the ROM.

exchanged for new one on warranty.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

NickZee10

Reaction score
Oh, wow. Thank you for this!

I've been having the same problem and didn't really want to get a refurb phone because the same problem would end up happening again.

The other thing that I'm still having trouble with is my P button doesn't wanna push sometimes - but other than that - I'll just have to get used to my keyboard again because I've been using Swiftkey for a few months now.

Is it good to keep swiftkey enabled when using the physical keyboard?