Physical keyboard duplicates letters

Discussion in 'Liberty ROM D2' started by duck on quack, Aug 2, 2011.

1. duck on quack

duck on quack New Member

I have no idea if this is related to the ROM or not, but the issue is driving me insane.

Recently when I type anything with the physical keyboard (I never ever use the screen for typing and bought a D2 specifically for the keyboard), it randomly duplicates letters. For example, a text meant to say "Hello, how are you?" would instead be "Hellloo, hoow aree yoouu?"

I've tried tinkering with everything in the keyboard settings but nothing seems to solve the issue. Google results seem to suggest that it is a problem inherent to the Android keyboard, but installing an alternative (such as SwiftKey X) still results in duplicate letters. Any help would be appreciated; I am desperate for a solution.

My apologies if this is unrelated to the ROM itself, but I am curious to know if anyone else on Liberty experiences this.
  2. dieselmk5

dieselmk5 New Member

i am having the same exact problem! i thought i had messed up my phone because ive dropped it a few times and whenever i use the physical keyboard every other letter will duplicate over and over again, its so frustrating! i used to rely on the external keyboard so much. currently running the liberty rom version 0.9 but its been doing this since i installed liberty. used to be on froyo fission and didnt have any issues with the keyboard.

edit: and ive tried using multiple keyboard apps and they all seem to have no effect so ive just been using the on-screen swift key app
  3. TheHype

TheHype New Member

If your like me and you used your physical keyboard alot you probably have just worn out your keyboard.

I took my phone to verizon and they replaced it with a certified refurbished one for free since it was still within the 1 year warranty.

If you want to make claiming your refurbished device quicker call up tech support and tell them you have:
    a) disabled any downloaded keyboards
    b) taken off auto correct on the physical keyboard
    and
    c) did a factory restore
    and it still has the same issue(or else they will make you go through all these steps.) Once you say you have done that they will start your submission for a new device.

Just remember to sbf before turning it in.
  4. dieselmk5

dieselmk5 New Member

i thought about that but this problem seeming happened overnight as soon as i installed liberty v.07? too much of a coincidence for me to think the keyboard is just worn out, i used to use the physical keyboard 95% of the time and it definitely didnt wear out over time, just wondering what could possibly cause this to happen
  5. TheHype

TheHype New Member

Try and restore a nandroid. I doubt its the rom, id say its either the keyboard settings or your keyboard is dying. the keyboard dying is a very common problem with this phone. I know a few people who use the stock droid 2 and have the same problem.

If your 100% sure its not the keyboard itself then i would suggest unistalling all keyboards and disabling auto-replace, auto-cap, and auto-punctuate in built in keyboard (under language & keyboard settings). If it still doesnt work then sbf or restore nandroid where you know it worked and see if it works.
  6. xfloggingkylex

xfloggingkylex New Member

Don't waste time restoring backups or anything like that. It is a firmware issue related to the debounce (or in this case the lack of).

Do a search for the milestone 2 debounce app. Root required. 10ms debounce = bye bye double letters.

EDIT: I'm bored at the airport, here's the link

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=14019158&postcount=60

Sent from my DROID2
  7. stompsfrogs

stompsfrogs New Member

I registered for this forum just to say thanks for pointing out that debounce app... you're my hero dancedroid
  8. xfloggingkylex

xfloggingkylex New Member

Glad it helped you. :)

Sent from my DROID2
  9. Jeffyo

Jeffyo New Member

We had the same thing and on both phones one did it and one did not. The stock phone was the one that did that so its not the ROM.

exchanged for new one on warranty.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums
  10. NickZee10

NickZee10 New Member

Oh, wow. Thank you for this!

I've been having the same problem and didn't really want to get a refurb phone because the same problem would end up happening again.

The other thing that I'm still having trouble with is my P button doesn't wanna push sometimes - but other than that - I'll just have to get used to my keyboard again because I've been using Swiftkey for a few months now.

Is it good to keep swiftkey enabled when using the physical keyboard?
Search tags for this page
android keyboard duplicate text
android physical keyboard double letters
droid keyboard repeating letters
droid pro double letters
droid pro keyboard double letters
droid pro keyboard wear
galaxy s4 keyboard duplicates letters
having trouble with keyboard duplicating number1
i am having trouble keying duplicates keyboard support
keyboard duplicating letters

milestone 2 debounce