My new KitKat flavored brick...

Blogmudgeon

Reaction score
It started out so simply. My XT926 running 4.1.2 kept bugging me to run the OTA to 4.4.2 KitKat. Since the bluetooth has become increasingly unpredictable in the past few months--I decided to bite. Phone has been rooted since ICS nearly two years ago. Never a tap of trouble with OTA in the past. So this morning, I open up Titanium and unfreeze all of the bloat, clear the caches, and do a full backup. Check. Turn off debugging. That was probably my second mistake after deciding to do the update. Temp unroot through Voodoo, and reboot. Check. At the OTA screen, tell it to do the deed. Download competes, goes into red dot part of boot--and stays there for 45 minutes. After a bit over an hour, I tried a soft reboot. No response from the buttons. Split the case and disconnected the battery ribbon. Goes into boot, and ends up on the pitiful dead droid laying on his back. Loops back every minute into the full red dot reboot.

It will boot into the first white letter screen--but nothing of any import happens with Fastboot. Menu comes up at the dead droid--but will only clear the cache and do a sideload from the SD card with the recovery tools. Tried that with the blur zip that is the most current--says its already loaded and aborts. Same thing with adb. Incidentally, this is the only mode that adb will connect--and it has to be initiated on the phone first. No other commands work to exit this mode--nor enter another. Rebooting out of sideload adb cannot find the device--on any port--via the previously identified device name. RSD Lite 6.1.4 has never been able to show the device. I downloaded the full 4.1.2 SBE (the last version, VRZ_XT926_9.8.1Q-94-1_CFC.xml.zip) ) and edited out the XML file getvar line. But it will not connect. Too tired to go up a version on the RSD tonight.

Every suggestion available has been done. Three kinds of drivers. No joy. I simply cannot get adb to connect any way but sideload. Fastboot is not working correctly. Damned thing keeps looping through boot to dead droids and back again. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
This has been reported many times here and on Moto sites. Root seems to be the only common theme. Voodoo will not work on anything above 4.3 anyway. I have not seen anyone able to fix this as of yet. You may need to wait until the 4.4 files are released for the phone.

If your bootloader is unlocked you may be able to get it back going... So is it?

Sent from my DE Moto X

OP
B

Blogmudgeon

Reaction score
If your bootloader is unlocked you may be able to get it back going... So is it?

Unfortunately no. Never had a need to go beyond the stock ROM, as my only intent with root was to freeze bloat and gain hotspot/tether functionality... :icon_frown:

Looks like I have an expensive paperweight--and will need to replace it on Monday with a secondary market phone. It's for work--and Verizon is not budging on the5 months left in the contract over paying full price for another phone.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Have you considered telling them the Ota broke the phone and leaving out the root part? Since this is happening to so many then they may already be working on replacements or a plan of action.

Please don't just take my word for your phone being bricked. Do some searches and keep checking the forums to see if people are having luck fixing it.

Here, Moto forums and xda are good places to keep an eye on.

Edit: could try a factory reset in stock recovery but note this did NOT work for one other person I suggested it to. Plus even if it does work you lose everything on your internal sd.

Sent from my DE Moto X

Last edited:

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
if he cant get the ota to sideload, rsd wont cconnect, and fastboot isnt working correctly as he states, its bricked.
one of those options would be needed to fix the phone if we had the sbf, if they dont work, it cant be fixed.

FYI for those not in this situation yet,
you must have a 100% stock, never rooted, never debloated phone or these situations will continue to happen.
the only way to take the update if you were rooted or debloated is to flash back to stock with rsd first.
no method of unrooting or re-bloating fixes the phone properly back to stock except rsd.
you have been warned!

ascholz81

Reaction score
It started out so simply. My XT926 running 4.1.2 kept bugging me to run the OTA to 4.4.2 KitKat. Since the bluetooth has become increasingly unpredictable in the past few months--I decided to bite. Phone has been rooted since ICS nearly two years ago. Never a tap of trouble with OTA in the past. So this morning, I open up Titanium and unfreeze all of the bloat, clear the caches, and do a full backup. Check. Turn off debugging. That was probably my second mistake after deciding to do the update. Temp unroot through Voodoo, and reboot. Check. At the OTA screen, tell it to do the deed. Download competes, goes into red dot part of boot--and stays there for 45 minutes. After a bit over an hour, I tried a soft reboot. No response from the buttons. Split the case and disconnected the battery ribbon. Goes into boot, and ends up on the pitiful dead droid laying on his back. Loops back every minute into the full red dot reboot.

It will boot into the first white letter screen--but nothing of any import happens with Fastboot. Menu comes up at the dead droid--but will only clear the cache and do a sideload from the SD card with the recovery tools. Tried that with the blur zip that is the most current--says its already loaded and aborts. Same thing with adb. Incidentally, this is the only mode that adb will connect--and it has to be initiated on the phone first. No other commands work to exit this mode--nor enter another. Rebooting out of sideload adb cannot find the device--on any port--via the previously identified device name. RSD Lite 6.1.4 has never been able to show the device. I downloaded the full 4.1.2 SBE (the last version, VRZ_XT926_9.8.1Q-94-1_CFC.xml.zip) ) and edited out the XML file getvar line. But it will not connect. Too tired to go up a version on the RSD tonight.

Every suggestion available has been done. Three kinds of drivers. No joy. I simply cannot get adb to connect any way but sideload. Fastboot is not working correctly. Damned thing keeps looping through boot to dead droids and back again. Any suggestions?

My XT926 has done the same thing!!! Not previously rooted. I tried all sorts of suggestions including all of the above and no luck. I too have an expensive brick. Now, to convince verizon it is their fault. They'll never admit it :(

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Take the phone to VZW. Tell them this is what you have after the update and ask them to fix or replace the phone.

rmcelroy

Reaction score
is there a kit kat 4.4 sbf image available for the RAZR MAXX HD yet?

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Not that I'm aware of no.

Sent from my DE Moto X

ascholz81

Reaction score
Yes, sadly there is no SBF yet!! However, I did call Verizon. I'm out of warranty, but the phone is still under motorola's warranty. So Motorola shipped a replacement. I'm currently waiting for it now. Sitting in a FedEx location! "Priority Overnight" and still can't get it to me. It will be along sometime. If I had the SBF wouldn't have been a problem at all. Why don't they just release those publicly? If people want to upgrade via SBF and RSD what's the harm? That's what they are going to do once they receive my phone. Plug it in and SBF it. This would save so many hassles if they just loosen the reins.

ascholz81

Reaction score
PS: The phone operating systems should be like computer operating systems. Its your phone, do what you want. They obviously have methods to restore (SBF for motorola.) Just like formatting your computer. Its your fault if you screw up the phone and can't make calls.

(Puts away soapbox.) :)