nonnasmyladie

Reaction score
Website
www.leonhascal.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
Nonnasmyladie
It worked great for months when I bought it (for the absurd price of $600).

Overnight basically it has slowed so much that it is impossible to uses.

I tried uninstalling every app and still a delay.

Anyone else have this problem?

I think it may be due to an OTA update that was pushed.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Have you tried a factory data reset? That's usually the last resort but should solve your problem.

tap'n on my S5

OP
nonnasmyladie

nonnasmyladie

Reaction score
Website
www.leonhascal.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
Nonnasmyladie
Have you tried a factory data reset? That's usually the last resort but should solve your problem.

tap'n on my S5
Yeah factory reset helped a little but still has new kernel and isn't as good as when I first got the phone and still unrootable.

I spent $600 on a phone that Verizon turned into a useless piece of crap!

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Please watch the language (edited.) Have you tested towel root? Most phones show age, and a lot of the time user expectations are exaggerated or too high.

Sent from my XT1060

OP
nonnasmyladie

nonnasmyladie

Reaction score
Website
www.leonhascal.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
Nonnasmyladie
Please watch the language (edited.) Have you tested towel root? Most phones show age, and a lot of the time user expectations are exaggerated or too high.

Sent from my XT1060
Get over yourself with the watch your language crap.

Towel Root has been rendered useless by the verizon update.

Phones don't "age" and if you reinstall the software it should run exactly the same as the day you got it. Hardware doesn't get slowed down over the matter of a few months.

The expectation that I would be able to send text messages and use my phone as a phone is not exaggerated.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
^^edited.

This is a family friendly forum, there are rules set in motion for a reason. I did not mean to offend you, or start a problem, but please refrain from further actions.

Hopefully someone with some answers will be along shortly.

Sent from my XT1060

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Lol. Sure buddy.

(^^edited)

Sent from my XT1060

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I asked for some information in another post, if you want to stay in this one that's fine but I'm not going to jump between 3 threads to help you. Let's start with the basics. Who is your carrier, what OS version are you on, what have you tried so far? Have you turned off your animations in developer options?

tap'n on my S5

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Verizon Galaxy S5 NI2 How To Root Latest 4.4.4 OT…:
Here's a great video walkhrough on rooting your S5 if you're on NI2. All the files needed are included in the video description.
If you're on a different OS version let me know and I'll get you those directions.
Good luck and holler if you need a hand with anything.

tap'n on my S5

OP
nonnasmyladie

nonnasmyladie

Reaction score
Website
www.leonhascal.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
Nonnasmyladie
Verizon Galaxy S5 NI2 How To Root Latest 4.4.4 OT…:
Here's a great video walkhrough on rooting your S5 if you're on NI2. All the files needed are included in the video description.
If you're on a different OS version let me know and I'll get you those directions.
Good luck and holler if you need a hand with anything.

tap'n on my S5

Thanks but I had already tried this method unsuccessfully. I am running NI2 but I can't flash the NCG kernal. I think it is because I'm using jOdin since I'm on a mac right now I've noticed android and macs don't play nice together.

I really don't want to waste much more time on this if Verizon is just going to pull this again. I don't have the time to be backing up and restoring my phone constantly and flashing kernals to reroot my phone every time verizon decides they want to force some new bloatware down my throat.

I'm on verizon android 4.4.4 w/ all animations off, no apps installed and basically every feature off. Still getting lag issues.

Frankly it is ridiculous that I would buy a phone and then have to turn off the animation and all the advertised features to make it run properly but that is my own fault for getting a samsung phone.

However, I bought this phone third party off contract so I think it is absurd that Verizon was still able to push updates OTA and bog down my phone with additional bloatware and security features that I didn't want. Verizon basically disabled my product by pushing that update which is BS. I bought this phone for a specific purpose and I was using it for that purpose and then verizon made it impossible for me to continue to use it for that purpose. I don't know why people let verizon get away with stunts like this.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Sorry you're having so many problems. The fact is, turning off your animations has been standard operating procedure on all Flagship Android devices for the past 4-5 years at least. The stock animations are worthless anyway. If you want cool animations switching from one screen to the next, I suggest going with a third party launcher, they are much more noticeable and there are many more to choose from.
As for Odin and root, you need a pc, as you've experienced it doesn't work on a MAC. (its been this way for as long as I can remember, although there are other methods such as mobile odin, etc. Although this is currently the only method available on the S5) There's a program called Heimdall that makes rooting possible via a Mac, but it's a PITA , and not very user friendly. I don't think it's been updated yet to work on the S5
If your stock device is giving you so many problems, you might try exchanging it under warranty. The two S5s in my household run great under stock with no lag. The only reason we rooted was to get rid of ads and to use Titanium Backup so we could freeze bloat. The fact is EVERY Verizon & Samsung device will have a certain amount of bloat, that's simply the way it's been since smartphones arrived on Verizon. You might be better off switching carriers if it's that problematic for you.
As I mentioned, you may simply have a defective device if your 4G doesn't work and your phone is that laggy. If still no change after a factory data reset, replace it under factory warranty, it won't cost you a dime.
Good luck and let me know if I can be of more assistance.

tap'n on my S5

Last edited by a moderator:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I'm going to say that for the most part all computer devices of a particular model are going to function virtually exactly the same if the same Software is installed in them. They are all benchmarked as part of a final gamut of tests before leaving the factory and any that don't perform to within tolerances are pulled from production before packaging and shipping. Since these are digital devices, again they should all perform virtually identically through their entire life until some form of catastrophic failure occurs or if there is a corruption of data or firmware/software.

Generally the only other time when a device may perform abnormally is it hasn't failed is if the is a great related issue and as one or more components heats beyond tolerances the out of range resistances, capacitances and voltages cause logic errors that then become extra work for the error detection and correction processes and this results in a noticeable lag or freezing.

Unless there is some inherent PROBLEM such as just mentioned for example. Any device, whether new or older should perform virtually the same ONCE they are factory reset and the OS is refreshed from ROM.

In the case of the 4G failures that's a different game altogether since now we're talking about RF radio transmission and reception, as well as signal generation, modulation, amplification and filtering. Logic is pretty much a massive binary matrix of switches and gates, and they're all based on being in one of two states...off or on. If any one logic gate or switch fails there will be a logic error and then it's the error correction that addresses the problem.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Heimdall will not work. It can't complete the final handshake required between the S5 and Heimdall.

I had a similar issue when trying to root my Note 3 and ended up having to borrow a Windows laptop from my friend. Five minutes later I was rooted.

I have since bootcamped Windows 8 onto my MBP and Odin (not JOdin) works flawlessly.