My Droid screen shattered!!!

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't want to jinx myself, but I have not dropped my Droid yet. When I first got it, all I thought about was dropping it, I was seriously having anxiety about messing it up, but now I just try to be as careful as I can be.

I use the Seidio case and screen protector and I don't keep my keys in my pocket anymore either, so it's still looking pretty good.

I still worry about the screen shattering, as I don't have insurance on it(Mine was a gift), so hopefully if I ever do crack it I can do the $75 repair that was mentioned above, looks like that may be the best bet.

I had my Razor for 6 years before I got the Droid, the only thing I had to do for the Razor was get the battery replaced like a month before I got my Droid too heh. I dropped the Razor a good 3-4 times and I just know the Droid will get dropped at some point, let's just hope it survives the fall.

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
droid screen is so fragile =[...had mine since it came out and today i was walking to my room to get my charger and got it....was holding the phone and charger in one hand...the charger plug in -end touched my droid screen and CRACK!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
droid screen is so fragile =[...had mine since it came out and today i was walking to my room to get my charger and got it....was holding the phone and charger in one hand...the charger plug in -end touched my droid screen and CRACK!!!!!!!!

Were you making stabbing motions with your charger cable or something? I don't see in anyway how this is the phone's fault. Especially for the fact that some guy dropped it 15 feet on to concrete and the screen didn't crack.

I honestly don't know how you can miss the plugin by that much, let alone crack your screen attempting to charge your phone.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Completely correct in that if it was a fully covered rubberized phone, no one would want it.

If it was a type of rubber/silicon that stretch from the power button down over the bottom lip and you could easily unwrap the bottom and stretch it down the camera face to re-wrap on the bottom lip again then you'd have a protector that fully rubberized the glass front yet you could easily unwrap and secure it across the camera face to use it. You could keep it that way most of the time even. Have a hole in it so the camera isn't blocked in that mode. Think body glove with a flap that covers the glass face and wrap/hooks on the bottom. The flap can fold backwards over the top of the phone, stretch down and wrap on the bottom lip.

jthorpe

Reaction score
i got out of the car and it was in my lap (in the bodyglove) got out and it "slid off my lap" and. i was like whatever since it barley fell and picked it up and put it in my pocket. pulled it out 10min later to call my wife and holy $H** its completely shattered:(

The exact same thing happened to me less than 48 hours ago. I was not happy about that at all. I guess I should have gotten insurance. I have it with my replacement phone, that's for sure.

TimChgo9

Reaction score
I have dropped my Droid no less than 3 times in the last week... No damage, but one of them scared me to death... I was listening to Pandora Radio the other day, and had my phone connected to my laptop, and both were sitting on the computer desk. I was cleaning the living room, and was getting ready to dust the computer desk. I was in a hurry and started moving stuff around, and not thinking, I lifted my laptop to quickly, and my Droid went flying. It flew off the laptop, and in that moment, I didn't know what to do..... it was either drop the laptop and grab the phone, or let the phone fall, and hope it hit the area rug, and not the hardwood floor... Well, the phone arced outward, pulled the USB cable taut, and then headed for the floor... I lifted the laptop higher, and that stopped the Droid from hitting the floor, as it hung their still connected to the USB cable.... I breathed a hefty sigh of relief, and put everything back on the desk, and finished the dusting. Neither the phone nor the cable were damaged, much to my relief, but it was a close call.

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com

Were you making stabbing motions with your charger cable or something? I don't see in anyway how this is the phone's fault. Especially for the fact that some guy dropped it 15 feet on to concrete and the screen didn't crack.

I honestly don't know how you can miss the plugin by that much, let alone crack your screen attempting to charge your phone.

I wasnt charging my phone i just said i went to get my charger and had both charger and phone in one hand while i was closing the door...i think the screen cracked cuz i kinda put pressure on the screen while i had the charger next to it i never said it was the phones fault either

davidtaylorjr

Reaction score
The apps themselves are not stored on google, just the list of what you have downloaded. You can go into the market and redownload all of these apps.

MyBackupPro works really well for restoring the device to its exact state. However, there is a problem with the apps. They will backup and restore, however you will not receive any updates for the apps at all unless you physically redownload from the market.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The apps themselves are not stored on google, just the list of what you have downloaded. You can go into the market and redownload all of these apps.

MyBackupPro works really well for restoring the device to its exact state. However, there is a problem with the apps. They will backup and restore, however you will not receive any updates for the apps at all unless you physically redownload from the market.

I had to return my phone due to a rebooting issue. My desktop layout was gone, no shortcuts or folders but most of my apps were still in the drawer, including payed ones. Some free ones were gone. I kept my SD card so that's what must have saved them. My wallpaper was still the same too as were my wifi settings and passwords for various wireless networks. Messages and call logs were gone. I probably only had to redownload 5-6 apps. Not a big deal.

dsully

Reaction score
UPDATE: Screen Repaired and Phone Shipped Today

I tried, unsuccessfully, at three different Verizon Stores, to get an instore Verizon tech to submit my phone for $50 warranty replacement. None would do it and the last one told me Verizon/Motorola have cracked down(pun intended) on this practice cause it was being abused. I suspect it was eating into their insurance revenues as well. The only option I was offered at the store was to pay full RETAIL($579) for a new one.

Well my forum friend, I have found a solution. I called Motorola's Android Series help desk, and was able to send in my phone to have the cracked screen repaired. The MAX cost of this repair is $75 plus shipping and shipping insurance.

NOTE: the rest of my phone functions perfectly including the LCDs under the screen, so this $75 fix will likely only apply to those of you with the same scenario.

The number to call is 1-800-734-5870. How you conduct this call is important because as I found the process is not as intuitive as you might think. You will be asked a series of questions by the rep and at the end they will likely say you are going to receive an email with instructions on how to connect your phone(USB to your computer) to the Motorola Troubleshooting Tool (which you have to download) and go through a Repair Ticket Submission Process.

Do not let the REP send you through this merry go round. IT DOES NOT WORK, at least not for a cracked SCREEN ISSUE. 1st, the software doesn't install properly so you wind up in a endless circle of web forms and downloads. Learn from my experience. Insist that the REP issue you an RMA# and give your shipping instructions and address while on the call. RMA=Return Mechandize Authorization and it associates your work order with you.

DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT let them off the phone until you have the RMA# for you repair and Shipping address (likely in MCALLEN, TEXAS?).

I sent mine out yesterday and will post an update once I receive it back (8-10) days. Thank goodness I kept my previous phone and was able to activate it for the next 10 days.

Folks, Yesterday, I received an email from MOTOROLA'S repair department confirming that my phone had been received and was in que to be repaired. I received a second email this morning from MOTOROLA telling me that my repair was completed and that my phone had been shipped.

To review, I mailed my Droid with cracked screen via USPS Priority Mail on Thursday 1/28 (insured for appx $600), it was received, repaired and shipped on Tuesday 2/2 (3 business days later) and I should receive it late this week.

Pretty good service so far. I will provide an update once I receive the phone, power it up and test her out.

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I tried, unsuccessfully, at three different Verizon Stores, to get an instore Verizon tech to submit my phone for $50 warranty replacement. None would do it and the last one told me Verizon/Motorola have cracked down(pun intended) on this practice cause it was being abused. I suspect it was eating into their insurance revenues as well. The only option I was offered at the store was to pay full RETAIL($579) for a new one.

Well my forum friend, I have found a solution. I called Motorola's Android Series help desk, and was able to send in my phone to have the cracked screen repaired. The MAX cost of this repair is $75 plus shipping and shipping insurance.

NOTE: the rest of my phone functions perfectly including the LCDs under the screen, so this $75 fix will likely only apply to those of you with the same scenario.

The number to call is 1-800-734-5870. How you conduct this call is important because as I found the process is not as intuitive as you might think. You will be asked a series of questions by the rep and at the end they will likely say you are going to receive an email with instructions on how to connect your phone(USB to your computer) to the Motorola Troubleshooting Tool (which you have to download) and go through a Repair Ticket Submission Process.

Do not let the REP send you through this merry go round. IT DOES NOT WORK, at least not for a cracked SCREEN ISSUE. 1st, the software doesn't install properly so you wind up in a endless circle of web forms and downloads. Learn from my experience. Insist that the REP issue you an RMA# and give your shipping instructions and address while on the call. RMA=Return Mechandize Authorization and it associates your work order with you.

DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT let them off the phone until you have the RMA# for you repair and Shipping address (likely in MCALLEN, TEXAS?).

I sent mine out yesterday and will post an update once I receive it back (8-10) days. Thank goodness I kept my previous phone and was able to activate it for the next 10 days.

Folks, Yesterday, I received an email from MOTOROLA'S repair department confirming that my phone had been received and was in que to be repaired. I received a second email this morning from MOTOROLA telling me that my repair was completed and that my phone had been shipped.

To review, I mailed my Droid with cracked screen via USPS Priority Mail on Thursday 1/28 (insured for appx $600), it was received, repaired and shipped on Tuesday 2/2 (3 business days later) and I should receive it late this week.

Pretty good service so far. I will provide an update once I receive the phone, power it up and test her out.
wait,,, so the warranty does cover cracked screens...thats great =]

Reaction score
Malvado, no. Warranty work = free. However, if it's a cracked screen, you only have to pay $75 and they will replace the screen instead of making you buy a whole new one.

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Malvado, no. Warranty work = free. However, if it's a cracked screen, you only have to pay $75 and they will replace the screen instead of making you buy a whole new one.
so then is that guy lying or what cuz from what i read, it seems that he sent it to be repaired cuz of a cracked screen also =[...but 75 is cheaper than getting a replacement thru my insurance =]

zero7404

Reaction score
pictures of the screen ? wonder how a droid screen shatters since it's made from gorilla glass....
hard luck as it must have fallen right on a rock or maybe you had it in your pocket and leaned up against metal or hard rock and it cracked....

Reaction score
so then is that guy lying or what cuz from what i read, it seems that he sent it to be repaired cuz of a cracked screen also =[...but 75 is cheaper than getting a replacement thru my insurance =]

Insurance, warranty, and repair are all completely separate services.