My Droid screen shattered!!!

dsully

Reaction score
Malvado, no. Warranty work = free. However, if it's a cracked screen, you only have to pay $75 and they will replace the screen instead of making you buy a whole new one.
so then is that guy lying or what cuz from what i read, it seems that he sent it to be repaired cuz of a cracked screen also =[...but 75 is cheaper than getting a replacement thru my insurance =]

WARRANTY would replace at NO CHARGE. I am paying $75+ shipping; therefore, this is NOT a FREE WARRANTY repair/replacement.

That said, for this situation, this is cheaper than insurance, if you factor in the $80 deductible + the recurring monthly insurance premium. I should note that my damage was limited to a shattered screen. The LCD was not damaged and the phone was functioning perfectly. I have no idea what the cost would have been if both the LCD and the glass screen were damaged.

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Malvado, no. Warranty work = free. However, if it's a cracked screen, you only have to pay $75 and they will replace the screen instead of making you buy a whole new one.
so then is that guy lying or what cuz from what i read, it seems that he sent it to be repaired cuz of a cracked screen also =[...but 75 is cheaper than getting a replacement thru my insurance =]

Insurance, warranty, and repair are all completely separate services.
i understand that but the post from dsully states that he got his phone fixed from a cracked screen thru warranty from MOTOROLA
and then someone tells me that u cant get it fixed thru warranty ?????????????:cus:

dsully

Reaction score
You misread the post.
ok i get it now...sorrry dsully i didnt see ur post rite above mine =]...but wit that being sorted out ima stik with the cracked phone til i get a new job =[...

Make sure you cover it with clear packing tape. tape should slow down the spider cracking and will prevent you from slicing your finger open like I almost did. Its sort of a pain to apply but once you figure out how to lay it down and work out the bubbles it works fine.

mudpro69

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that bro...

I know you probably don't want to hear this but rooting it and installing Nandroid will sett it back to your desired settings...But then theirs the root/insurance thing...Good luck, hope all goes well on the replacement....

dsully

Reaction score
UPDATE: Confusion at Motorola sets in. I should have known this was going too easy!

I tried, unsuccessfully, at three different Verizon Stores, to get an instore Verizon tech to submit my phone for $50 warranty replacement. None would do it and the last one told me Verizon/Motorola have cracked down(pun intended) on this practice cause it was being abused. I suspect it was eating into their insurance revenues as well. The only option I was offered at the store was to pay full RETAIL($579) for a new one.

Well my forum friend, I have found a solution. I called Motorola's Android Series help desk, and was able to send in my phone to have the cracked screen repaired. The MAX cost of this repair is $75 plus shipping and shipping insurance.

NOTE: the rest of my phone functions perfectly including the LCDs under the screen, so this $75 fix will likely only apply to those of you with the same scenario.

The number to call is 1-800-734-5870. How you conduct this call is important because as I found the process is not as intuitive as you might think. You will be asked a series of questions by the rep and at the end they will likely say you are going to receive an email with instructions on how to connect your phone(USB to your computer) to the Motorola Troubleshooting Tool (which you have to download) and go through a Repair Ticket Submission Process.

Do not let the REP send you through this merry go round. IT DOES NOT WORK, at least not for a cracked SCREEN ISSUE. 1st, the software doesn't install properly so you wind up in a endless circle of web forms and downloads. Learn from my experience. Insist that the REP issue you an RMA# and give your shipping instructions and address while on the call. RMA=Return Mechandize Authorization and it associates your work order with you.

DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT let them off the phone until you have the RMA# for you repair and Shipping address (likely in MCALLEN, TEXAS?).

I sent mine out yesterday and will post an update once I receive it back (8-10) days. Thank goodness I kept my previous phone and was able to activate it for the next 10 days.

Folks, Yesterday, I received an email from MOTOROLA'S repair department confirming that my phone had been received and was in que to be repaired. I received a second email this morning from MOTOROLA telling me that my repair was completed and that my phone had been shipped.

To review, I mailed my Droid with cracked screen via USPS Priority Mail on Thursday 1/28 (insured for appx $600), it was received, repaired and shipped on Tuesday 2/2 (3 business days later) and I should receive it late this week.

Pretty good service so far. I will provide an update once I receive the phone, power it up and test her out.

Folks, All is not well at Motorola Customer Repair. If you have been following my repair progress, all is not lost, but you have to be on your toes when dealing with Motorola on repairs.

To summarize past 24 hours: yesterday I reported that I received an email from Motorola stating that my phone was repaired and sent to shipping. Killer, right?

Well today I received an email from Motorola which totally contradicted yesterday's email. The email I received today stated my phone was received, was inspected and found to be cracked due to a non warranty defect and that i had to call to pay for repair. Duh, I already knew this! Confusing right? Especially since I rec'd an email yesterday stating the phone was repaired and shipped. I was now totally confused. So I called, spoke to a rep.

She basically took me through the original reporting process and issued a new repair authorization #. Moments later I received a new email confirming my repair number and instructions on how to pack and where to ship my phone. WTF, right?

I already shipped and according to Motorola the phone was rec'd repaired and in shipping back to me. So why the new instructions??? I have no idea, but I immediately called and spoke to another rep. He really couldn't explain why I was getting all these contradicting emails but he promised my phone was being repaired and would be shipped in 3-5 days.

I can only hope my phone is not lost and that its being repaired and will ship to me very soon. I will be calling daily until I have a shipping number from fedex and hope I don't received an old RAZR by mistake.

Moral of the story: Stay on top of Motorola if you choose this repair service. If you receive confusing/conflicting info call immediately. I will say this, they answer the phone quickly and wait times are nil.

FYI, its still a REPAIR (not warranty and not insurance) it still cost $75 to repair cracked screen.

dsully

Reaction score
UPDATE: MY PHONE HAS RETURNED with a NEW Screen

OK my phone have been returned. After $75, a little over two weeks wait and more calls to Motorola then I care to count, my Droid is back home and appears to be in original working condition.

For anyone who has followed my posts, my experience got even weirder earlier this week, prompting yet another call to Motorola where I was escalated to a manager. She appeared to solve my support issues and get the process moving.

This was a very strange experience. Multiple conflicting emails from Motorola. Five different reps gave me all conflicting "status updates". Including one who actually gave me a FEDEX number on Monday, that turned out to be totally bogus.

Yes the screen has been replaced. However, damage was done to the unit during the repair which I am not happy about, but can't stomach the thought of returning it and going through that again. Besides the phone is functioning properly so the damage is mostly cosmetic.

This was cheaper than insurance, but certainly a hassle. I recommend that anyone who chooses this route to fix a screen or anything on their phone, be extremely diligent in dealing with Motorola. I'm happy to have phone back, but exhausted by the time lost calling Motorola multiple times a day for the past two weeks.

Reaction score
Hey there.. Blazer again...

To be honest, all I did was go to the Verizon Store that I bought it from. I was expecting to hear that if I wanted it fixed, I would have to pay full price... but the Verizon Tech on site looked at it, kinda smiled and shook his head, then said "We have an app for that" that Verizon will charge me US$50.00 for a replacement phone but they had to send it out from their distribution site. I GLADLY pulled out my credit card! In two days, had the replacement phone. The replacement phone did not have a battery or the battery cover... but interestingly, it had a 16GB SD Card. I pulled my battery and my SD Card out of the old phone. Replaced my 16GB SD Card into the replacement and put the replacement SD Card into the broken phone. Put the battery from the broke phone into the replacement phone. Used the battery cover from the broke phone onto the replacement phone. I then activated it.. used google to d/l all my apps.. All is well.

So, I do applaud Verizon for their customer support (at least in THIS case).

Have a GREAT day... and HAPPY HOLIDAYS to everyone...
Blazer
Interesting! Where do you live?

Reaction score
Nooo way, holy good lord. Sucks to hear and i definently will not keep him on my lap in the bimmer. lmao as a matter of fact im gonna buy the car charger soon...veryyy soon

blazer

Reaction score
Hey there.. Blazer again...

To be honest, all I did was go to the Verizon Store that I bought it from. I was expecting to hear that if I wanted it fixed, I would have to pay full price... but the Verizon Tech on site looked at it, kinda smiled and shook his head, then said "We have an app for that" that Verizon will charge me US$50.00 for a replacement phone but they had to send it out from their distribution site. I GLADLY pulled out my credit card! In two days, had the replacement phone. The replacement phone did not have a battery or the battery cover... but interestingly, it had a 16GB SD Card. I pulled my battery and my SD Card out of the old phone. Replaced my 16GB SD Card into the replacement and put the replacement SD Card into the broken phone. Put the battery from the broke phone into the replacement phone. Used the battery cover from the broke phone onto the replacement phone. I then activated it.. used google to d/l all my apps.. All is well.

So, I do applaud Verizon for their customer support (at least in THIS case).

Have a GREAT day... and HAPPY HOLIDAYS to everyone...
Blazer
Interesting! Where do you live?
I live in Houston, Texas USA.. and the Droid is STILL working well.

And looking at the previous posts, I could not be happier with how Verizon/Motorola handled the problem. Had no problems at all. Sorry to hear about those that had problems returning the phone.
Blazer

Puffy

Reaction score
What a bummer! Glad I got insurance.:icon_ banana: