My Droid is Eating My Gmail!

dkshaer

Reaction score
:icon_evil::icon_evil:

When I read an email in my gmail program and do nothing to it, just exit gmail, when I go back in later the email is gone. Not in any other folder, just gone. I believe it is deleted from the server too but I have to check on that. I cannot find a setting that looks like it would change this automatic wipe out.

Any thoughts?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

When I read an email in my gmail program and do nothing to it, just exit gmail, when I go back in later the email is gone. Not in any other folder, just gone. I believe it is deleted from the server too but I have to check on that. I cannot find a setting that looks like it would change this automatic wipe out.

Any thoughts?

It's not deleted from the server. And it should show up in your all mail tag.

foolydooly

Reaction score

Any thoughts?

This is called "archiving" isn't it? This can be disabled in GMail setting. (In website)

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Any thoughts?

This is called "archiving" isn't it? This can be disabled in GMail setting. (In website)

Let me back up a bit. The mail doesn't disappear off your phone, it just disappears from the notification window. Unless you delete if you go to your gmail icon it's still there.

If it isn't then I don't know what to tell you. But either way if you don't delete it it's going to be in all mail. And to the best of my knowledge you can't disable this, however I will freely admit I've never gone looking for a way. I use it frequently to store my emails I want to keep.

toddj

Reaction score
I agree with hook. It SHOULD be in all mail. Google's whole thing with email is to never have to delete a message. Perhaps there is a syncing issue with your phone and the gmail servers. Mine does similar weird things from time to time.
I delete the gmail local cache on my phone when it's acting wonky.

OP
D

dkshaer

Reaction score
I'm scared to touch the doggone thing till I get home and can see what is on the server (can't access from my office)

I did look in All Mail and they are not there. A whole lot of other stuff now is, which I'll have to delete one by one, but the new messages from today are not.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm scared to touch the doggone thing till I get home and can see what is on the server (can't access from my office)

I did look in All Mail and they are not there. A whole lot of other stuff now is, which I'll have to delete one by one, but the new messages from today are not.

Ok, all you have to do is go to www.gmail.com. Put your user name and password in there and you will find all your mail.

It's not disappearing. No offense but this is just a case of you not understanding how gmail works with the Droid. You're not telling us what exactly you're looking at with your Droid. Are you pressing the gmail icon, or are you looking at the stock email? Or are you just looking at the alerts, because they will go away once acknowledged. And that's what I think is happening.

OP
D

dkshaer

Reaction score
It appears that I don't understand how gmail syncs between the droid and the server. I noticed today that messages (or conversations) come and go, depending on the number days I set the sync to.

I could use a brief tutorial.

I did find all of the messages on the server last night but still don't get how they disappeared from the droid.

foolydooly

Reaction score
I could use a brief tutorial.

I did find all of the messages on the server last night but still don't get how they disappeared from the droid.

Goto GMail via website -> Settings -> Forwarding and POP/IMAP

"2. When messages are accessed with POP" change this to something else, like "keep gmail's copy in inbox"

also, to retrieve all mails back: Archiving mail - Gmail Help