My car dock hack. HDMI out to car audio/video (webtop/mirror/netflix)

Discussion in 'Droid Bionic Hacks' started by InspiredGS, Sep 18, 2011.

1. oneway

oneway New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Very nicely done. Two thumbs up.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

2. InspiredGS

InspiredGS New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    A couple of things you might try.

1. Make sure your converter wires (audio and video) are not installed on the same side as the cars' positive wire.
    2. The composite wires that come with the converter is junk in my opinion. I suggest using a different cable.
    3. Try a different grounding point for the negative wire on the converter.
    4. The convertor itself might be defective. Try connecting your converter to a house tv. Connect your phone and see if it is still grainy. As for me, When I first got the converter, there were distorted horizontal lines across the screen, but after 10 mins, it went away. These converters are cheap. Also, we've all be accustomed to hi-def. Since this mod is returning to old technology, we can't expect the quality to be great.
    5. Find out the resolution of your stock navigation screen. This might also be the cause. As for me, the resolution on my headrest monitors are better that the stock head unit.

Thx.

3. LuciferDR

LuciferDR New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Cool setup, now all we need to do is enable remote touch like this guy did.

I wonder if this setup will work with your car dock hack instead of using the mulimedia dock? in theory it should. The dock is a good way to mount, but dont have anywhere to put it. I was thinking on the dash, but the sun will probably cook the phone.

4. mannab79

mannab79 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Still having issues, looking for some help

Myself and my friend have been trying to set this up in my car but we are failing. I am hoping someone here has had a similar problem or can help us diagnose it.

I connect the phone via HDMI to the converter suggested (Amazon) and from there to the AV inputs in my car. It pops up asking me if I want to mirror and I say yes. At that point I only see a few random lines that flicker but absolutely no image off the phone. I then tested in my apartment on TV and couldn't even get that far. As soon as I connected the HDMI cable, Motorola Docking Service turns and on and off rapidly and eventually crashes.

Any and all suggestions welcome because this is frustrating! =P

5. revelated

revelated Member

Ratings:
    +5
    While that looks conceptually nice, I just don't see the point when you could embed a 7" Galaxy Tab and do the same thing, better. Or if it's the 4G that's appealing to people, a Motorola Xoom should fit the bill nicely and with less overall investment. In fact I've thought about adding a 4G tablet to my various gadgets for the purpose of car installation, but I just can't justify the level of time investment needed to get it done, plus for some reason it just doesn't seem to work with a Nissan Altima for some odd reason.

6. LuciferDR

LuciferDR New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have thought of a tablet before, but not really keen to spend days fabricating my dash if you know what I mean. With this system looks like you can fit a touchscreen + LCD with very minimal fabrication. The cool thing about this system is if you change you Android phone your in car system will change also.. so you would only need to download apps on one device :)

I read up that this thing can actually mesh in with your existing factory touchscreen and monitor, so you can actually toggle between your phone and you factory system. You then can use the touchscreen for both the phone and factory system. Now.. I'd like to see a tablet that can do that!

7. ral7792

ral7792 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Details, please!

Okay so I am very new at this. I have the droid bionic, a pioneer nav stereo (no dock) that has input for AV and USB. I bought a switch to convert hdmi to AV. I plan to go in through glove box to plug AV and leave switch in glove box. NOW...I think all I have to do is power the switch? How do I do that?? Help a noob!

8. MadBlackLady

MadBlackLady Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Very impressive

9. MadBlackLady

MadBlackLady Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Touche

10. InspiredGS

InspiredGS New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Is the hdmi convertor set to NTSC? Also, try connecting the hdmi convertor to your tv and connect a ps3 or blu-ray player(HDMI) and check if the video plays as a composite on your tv. If that doesn't work, my guess is that the hdmi convertor is faulty. I would suggest you to swap the convertor.

11. InspiredGS

InspiredGS New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You need a power inverter from 12 Volt DC to 110/120 Volt AC like these. Amazon.com: power inverter: Electronics

12. LuciferDR

LuciferDR New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    What switch do you have? The HDMI to A/V converter I'm using has a 5v input. I simply cut of the 110v power pack and connected it to a 12v to 5v converter (1 Amp) eliminating the need for an inverter. That's one less box to hide :)

Search tags for this page
car audio with hdmi input
car hdmi
car radio hdmi input

car radio with hdmi input

car stereo hdmi

car stereo with hdmi
hdmi car radio

hdmi car stereo

hdmi in car
head unit with hdmi input