My 3rd BIONIC since 29 September

golfore97

Reaction score
Thought i would share some of the issues i've experienced with the BIONIC since i have had the pleasure of owing 3 since they were released. The first phone (#1/Brand new/ordered on line from VZ) was replaced due to the network connection issue. I assume the problem was fairly new to MOTOROLA and Verizon since they had me visit a corporate store to get a NEW phone citing it was a phone hardware failure. That was my only issue with #1, i wish i had kept that phone since it was much faster than the following two. My second phone (#2/brand new/picked up at VZ corp store) would randomly delete apps; not just apps i downloaded, but the pre-installed apps too. I would have to re-download MOTOCAST a couple times a day when i noticed it or other apps gone from the screen. #2 would also lock up on occasion and require the battery and SIM card to be removed to restart the phone. #2 also dropped network connectivity which is no surprise since the a majority of the BIONIC community is talking about this problem. The third BIONIC (#3/refurbished/sent from VZ) is still deleting random Apps to include pre installed, but there are new issues with #3 that i haven't seen in any threads. #3 switched itself to Airplane mode somewhere in the middle of the night, it was a good thing no emergency phone calls came in thru the night since #3 was not accepting phone calls. LOL..... I can't say i am done with MOTOROLA, i upgraded to the BIONIC from the OG DROID. If the power button was still functional on my OG i would still be rockin that phone, it was a trooper for 2 years and i can't complain about it. I can say i was hoping for a better product from MOTOROLA, this is not the quality i was expecting. But i'm holding out for a fix/update to the software so the phone can be as great as it should be. I am however considering a request to VZ to switch me to the RAZR, i seem to have worn out my BIONIC experience. Any thoughts??

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Hi and Welcome to the Forums! :) .. First of all their is a patch expected to be released for the bionic at the end of Nov. As for apps dissapearing, this will be addressed in the patch, the work around is to go into settings/applications/manage applications/media area. Make sure nothing is checked there, if it is, move it to phone. Your apps will stop disappearing. The patch will address this issue.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Hopefully the update will fix those issues. Just as an FYI the disappearing apps issue isn't Bionic exclusive. I've read about the attrix 2 having the same problem. So I don't know if they fixed it for the razr.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

konellaz

Reaction score
I'm use 7.893 I'm on my
4th bionic.. Update didn't do anything
I'm a Druid.. Are you?

OP
golfore97

golfore97

Reaction score
Thanks for the updated info and potential fixes to my App problem. So i understand this correctly, applications stored in the "Media area" have the potential for disappearing vs. being stored "on the phone"? Is this a conflicting path for media usage or just a incompatible storage location? I'm still contemplating my option of switching to a different DROID, but i want to believe my BIONIC will be working right soon.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Thanks for the updated info and potential fixes to my App problem. So i understand this correctly, applications stored in the "Media area" have the potential for disappearing vs. being stored "on the phone"? Is this a conflicting path for media usage or just a incompatible storage location? I'm still contemplating my option of switching to a different DROID, but i want to believe my BIONIC will be working right soon.

Well from what I gathered, the EXT-SD card, the removable one, was never intended to be used to store apps. The media area is not the ext-sd card. As long as all your apps remain on the phone and not the media area you will be ok until the patch.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Partitions are as follows:

/data standard location for apps
/mnt/sdcard commonly known as the "media area"
/mnt/sdcard-ext commonly known as the removable sdcard

Whereas on an OGDroid you only had /data for apps or apps2sd could put them on /mnt/sdcard (which would now be /mnt/sdcard-ext)

Sent from my Safestrapped, Rooted, ROM'd XT862

geoffwhite18

Reaction score
I also came from the og Droid. That phone is arguably the best Droid phone ever made. I am a little disappointed with the bionic myself. However, even though my bionic is more buggy and unstable than my overclocked and modded og droid, I love it! The bionic has every bit of potential that the og Droid did. Its just suffering from a lot of bugs that haven't been worked out yet. Even though motorola won't admit it, I think they are having problems trying to figure out the dual core processors and the LTE system. Both are fairly new, so bugs should be expected.

With the self deleting apps, although its not a real solution, and pretty much just a bandade for the problem, moving the apps to the phone stops them from disappearing. I don't like the solution either, but it works.

pbcarch

Reaction score
Ok while I understand to a point that it is a new phone, tech and LTE they still are charging full price!

I have gone from a D1 to the bionic and it is now being replaced with a "certified likw new" phone. Data issues first time around got me a new SIM card, then repeated Google Framework errors forced me into a factory reset and now no data what so ever gets me a replacement.

All I can say is if I was able to get away from Moto at this point without causing me financial pain I would.

geoffwhite18

Reaction score
Yeah its frustrating. Luckily I haven't had as many problems as some people have. But I would be pissed if they wanted to give me someones old broken used crap and tell me its as good as the brand new phone I just paid so much for!

RacingTiger03

Reaction score
Yeah its frustrating. Luckily I haven't had as many problems as some people have. But I would be pissed if they wanted to give me someones old broken used crap and tell me its as good as the brand new phone I just paid so much for!

at this point the refurbs are probably better than the launch date brothers lol. The software is the same, but even if moto won't admit it be it changed manufacturer or slight design change, I think the radio is slightly different in the bionic I received last week (refurb replacement #1). Both phones suffered from data drop, New bionic, data would disappear for long periods of time with no retrieval except calling VZW and getting the forced reset on their side. Refurb bionic keeps data, and just hitting airplane can fix it when it does go away. The problem with this for me has been the occurences. For me it has been WORSE than (for those that remember..) The FIRST ROMs running GB on the OG droid! I'm sure there are plenty of early adopters that remember how annoying that was. I never complained to VZW cause I knew that before I went to the new rom.. but loved other features enough that airplane fix was no biggie.... but it was only after phone calls or texts. Data is already gone at that point anyways, one extra button to get it back no big deal. Bionic takes the fail on this one cause it is completely random and VERY often. I hope it's as simple as some kernel and radio changes like it was on the OG.... *crosses fingers* Only phone aside from the bionic that even has my interest is the Nexus.. but I would take a Rezound if that's the only option VZ will give me to truly stop dropping data! So sick of it from them... I use this phone way too much for this crap. I treat it like a laptop or a tablet, but its so portable that I use it as such EVERYWHERE lol.

Seb181

Reaction score
Im on my 3rd as well.

konellaz

Reaction score
Im on my 3rd as well.

4th here !! Working on my 5th I have customer relations involved.. So far I have two months of data credited.. Whoop dooo im grandfathered.. Good thing at 30GB a month. Now I have actual Lte management involved because im refusing.. Thunder, charge, razor, and rezound. I want my bionic to work or give me a nexus.. Waiting on the brass to call me back tonight. First time ive gotten someone higher than customer relations. Those guys have power.. We will see what the higher UPS have to say when I start reading all these posts from this thread. :)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

djspy

Reaction score
Where did you talk to to get offered a different phone? I am on my 6th OG Droid and going to activate the 7th in a few minutes. The reps refuse to help me saying they wont do nothing but keep sending refurbished phones.

konellaz

Reaction score
Where did you talk to to get offered a different phone? I am on my 6th OG Droid and going to activate the 7th in a few minutes. The reps refuse to help me saying they wont do nothing but keep sending refurbished phones.

Ask for customer relations. Refuse to talk to anyone else.. Seem very upset, but talk in a complete professional manner.. And come full of ammo!! Other examples of known issues, know your contact and how to use it against them.. vzw is measured by subscribers.. it kills their customers service index when they lose accounts.. As much as they try to act as if your the inconvenience , when actually they will do just about anything to keep you from buying out at a measly 250 feature phone 350 smart phone... They know profit is in the two years at 100 or so a month.

Side note.. My Bill is over 200 a month.. Three smartphones all grandfathered in.. I don't take no sh&$ from them.. That's more than my maxima a month.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk