My 3g sucks

CD95YJ

Reaction score
Just picked up a better dl/ul speed and this is stock / rooted 2.3.340

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Reaction score
Lol, be happy you aren't on Sprint. Only bad thing about my Epic is Sprint's massive network upgrade going on to fix backhaul issues and stupidly slow 3G speeds. I'm lucky to see consistent 300-400 kbps down on speedtest. When I was on business in Nashville, TN I was seeing comparable speeds to Verizon though. Here I could get 2,000kbps down at night but more like 700-1200 during the day using my old DX.

If you really want to be jealous, speedtest race someone on T-Mobile with a MyTouch 4G (with 4G off obviously) in a HSPA+ coverage area (which is most places IIRC). Those guys are getting close to 3,000 down on 3G.

Simply put, the GSM carriers have the CDMA carriers beat when it comes to speed and it isn't even close. With Verizon/Sprint you get the coverage since they share towers but the speed suffers. With AT&T/T-Mobile (same thing soon unless Congress says no) you get hella speeds but coverage can be meh if you live in the boonies.

Reaction score
Lol, be happy you aren't on Sprint. Only bad thing about my Epic is Sprint's massive network upgrade going on to fix backhaul issues and stupidly slow 3G speeds. I'm lucky to see consistent 300-400 kbps down on speedtest. When I was on business in Nashville, TN I was seeing comparable speeds to Verizon though. Here I could get 2,000kbps down at night but more like 700-1200 during the day using my old DX.

If you really want to be jealous, speedtest race someone on T-Mobile with a MyTouch 4G (with 4G off obviously) in a HSPA+ coverage area (which is most places IIRC). Those guys are getting close to 3,000 down on 3G.

Simply put, the GSM carriers have the CDMA carriers beat when it comes to speed and it isn't even close. With Verizon/Sprint you get the coverage since they share towers but the speed suffers. With AT&T/T-Mobile (same thing soon unless Congress says no) you get hella speeds but coverage can be meh if you live in the boonies.

The sharing towers part, thats confused me, because I often hear people complain about having no service, including sprint customers who were just a few feet from me. To my understanding, based off what I found on google, they do share towers. But, they do not share the same coverage. Apparently they operate on different frequencies or something.

Now, I might be wrong, because I'm quoting someone else who was supposedly "clarifying the myth". So, you didn't hear this from me.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

Dr.Dad

Reaction score
I guess it's just my area but I have ruin speed test 50 times over the least few months on different roms. I range from .16 to .9 with an average of .4 mbps download. Upload is consistently .5.
Slowwwwwwwwww!

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Reaction score

The sharing towers part, thats confused me, because I often hear people complain about having no service, including sprint customers who were just a few feet from me. To my understanding, based off what I found on google, they do share towers. But, they do not share the same coverage. Apparently they operate on different frequencies or something.

Now, I might be wrong, because I'm quoting someone else who was supposedly "clarifying the myth". So, you didn't hear this from me.

They do share towers but if someone on Sprint right next to you has a single bar of service the phone will not roam onto Verizon's towers. Mainly because the roaming agreements make it so you'll go way over your roaming limit if the phone simply picked out the best tower to use from either service. I guarantee if those guys used an app called Roam Control and forced their phones to roam onto Verizon they'd get the same service as you.

Reaction score

They do share towers but if someone on Sprint right next to you has a single bar of service the phone will not roam onto Verizon's towers. Mainly because the roaming agreements make it so you'll go way over your roaming limit if the phone simply picked out the best tower to use from either service. I guarantee if those guys used an app called Roam Control and forced their phones to roam onto Verizon they'd get the same service as you.

It makes sense. It just doesn't perfectly match up in real world use from what I've witnessed multiple times. Usually the phone will be out of service searching, and the person will move it around and pick up service for a second, then lose it again, etc. Ill have at least 2 bars usually more not losing coverage at all.

Reaction score
Their PRL is probably way out of date then, if somone gets a phone even a few months before a tower goes up and never updates the PRL the phone won't pick up the new tower. That, or even though you aren't seeing any bars on their phones it is getting enough signal to keep it from roaming. Again, easy way for them to tell is to buy roam control from the market and force the phone to roam, then see how the signal/speed is. It is a paid app but it is like $1.50 which is nothing not to mention it can literally save your life if you are trying to call 911 and you can't get through on one of your home carrier's towers for whatever reason like low signal or weather causing tower issues or whatever.

Reaction score
Their PRL is probably way out of date then, if somone gets a phone even a few months before a tower goes up and never updates the PRL the phone won't pick up the new tower. That, or even though you aren't seeing any bars on their phones it is getting enough signal to keep it from roaming. Again, easy way for them to tell is to buy roam control from the market and force the phone to roam, then see how the signal/speed is. It is a paid app but it is like $1.50 which is nothing not to mention it can literally save your life if you are trying to call 911 and you can't get through on one of your home carrier's towers for whatever reason like low signal or weather causing tower issues or whatever.

that pretty much counters what I just said pretty well. The average user will almost definitely never update his/her prl throughout the life of the phone because they're either not aware of it or just don't care if they are. Even I tend to only update it once every few months.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
A 911 call will get forced through whichever network is there, sprint or verizon it does not matter. Even unactivated phones can dial 911, and gsm phones without a sim (which makes it impossible to register on the network) can as well.

Reaction score
(Sent From a Rooted GB_DROID X)

Wow your 3G speeds are crap... Even my boost service gets faster than that half the time... I just tested my DX and since it is Saturday and midnight (married with a toddler means you don't get out as much as you used to lol) it hit 2200kbps down which is screaming fast for Verizon. Still not as fast as my co-workers MyTouch 4G on T-Mobile (on 3G) was during the middle of the day. That HSPA+ network they run is freaking crazy...

Reaction score
A 911 call will get forced through whichever network is there, sprint or verizon it does not matter. Even unactivated phones can dial 911, and gsm phones without a sim (which makes it impossible to register on the network) can as well.

I know that but say you are in an area with 1 bar and your call is garbled or you are having trouble with static or whatever. It obviously still went through but on a cell phone it is alot harder to locate you vs. a static land line so they can't just immediately send help to said address like they can on a wired phone. My arguement was that in this case, say you are on Verizon and all you hear is every other word or it is cutting out and you are starting to panic you can hit RC and make the phone jump onto a Sprint tower with more bars etc... Maybe I am reading into this too much and maybe there is some provision built in already to force a call through on the strongest tower in the area? Dunno.