Muting GPS while on call?

asmallchild

Reaction score
I use the speakerphone option my car quite a bit.

I also use the GPS option quite a bit.

The GPS has this annoying habit of interrupting my conversations and I find myself having to exit navigation, then make a phone call, then resuming navigation which is obviously very dangerous while driving.

Any way to definitively mute GPS while on a call?

SGTiger

Reaction score

The GPS has this annoying habit of interrupting my conversations and I find myself having to exit navigation, then make a phone call, then resuming navigation which is obviously very dangerous while driving.

While in Google Navigator, click the menu button then choose MUTE.

FunN4Lo

Reaction score

While in Google Navigator, click the menu button then choose MUTE.

I posted this question a while back and got the same answers as above, which is not the answer I was looking for. My stand alone GPS with blue tooth speaker phone was smart enough to automute when on a call. Pandora or iheartradio auto mutes for a call on my Droid. Why doesn't GPS? Is there an app for that?

craigs93

Reaction score
I agree

I agree... this isn't a huge issue, but it is REALLY annoying when your call is interrupted (especially when it's a long winded exit name.) This needs to be addressed and be auto muted when a call is made or received...
IMO

SGTiger

Reaction score
My stand alone GPS with blue tooth speaker phone was smart enough to automute when on a call. Pandora or iheartradio auto mutes for a call on my Droid. Why doesn't GPS? Is there an app for that?

I agree that having the phone auto mute navigation during a call is a no-brainer. Google devs supposedly use the Google Product Ideas website to decide future enhancements according to Thom in this thread:

New! Google Maps Navigation (Beta) for Android OS 2.0 - Google Mobile Help

I suggest everyone go over to the Google Product Ideas website and vote for the mute idea which only has 36 votes the last time I looked. We need thousands from this site to inundate and vote for this and any other no-brainers for Google Navigation:

Google Product Ideas

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
My stand alone GPS with blue tooth speaker phone was smart enough to automute when on a call. Pandora or iheartradio auto mutes for a call on my Droid. Why doesn't GPS? Is there an app for that?

I agree that having the phone auto mute navigation during a call is a no-brainer. Google devs supposedly use the Google Product Ideas website to decide future enhancements according to Thom in this thread:

New! Google Maps Navigation (Beta) for Android OS 2.0 - Google Mobile Help

I suggest everyone go over to the Google Product Ideas website and vote for the mute idea which only has 36 votes the last time I looked. We need thousands from this site to inundate and vote for this and any other no-brainers for Google Navigation:

Google Product Ideas

I voted, thanks for the heads up. Please everyone vote for this. If you haven't had an issue with this yet, you will

zakany

Reaction score
If I need to use nav to get somewhere and I talking on the phone while driving (!), I want the nav to interrupt the call to get me where I want to go. To me, it seems dumb for it to work the other way around.

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
If I need to use nav to get somewhere and I talking on the phone while driving (!), I want the nav to interrupt the call to get me where I want to go. To me, it seems dumb for it to work the other way around.

If you're jackin wit your homies it may seem dumb.

But some of us run real businesses on our phones. I can read the Nav screen and talk on the speaker phone at the same time. I do it everyday. But I can not carry on a conversation with a client, over the Nav voice.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

But some of us run real businesses on our phones. I can read the Nav screen and talk on the speaker phone at the same time. I do it everyday. But I can not carry on a conversation with a client, over the Nav voice.

Sorry. No sale. I, too, have to conduct business from time to time when I'm driving (though I don't like to do it). On the other hand, I only use the Nav system when I really don't know where I'm going. And if I have to put up with a momentary interruption for a driving instruction my business associates understand.

Your solution of watching the nav screen and carrying on a conversation makes perfect sense except for that other activity you're engaged in....You know...DRIVING! I do know you, though. I see you on the road practically everyday weaving in front of me.

systemofadonut

Reaction score

Sorry. No sale. I, too, have to conduct business from time to time when I'm driving (though I don't like to do it). On the other hand, I only use the Nav system when I really don't know where I'm going. And if I have to put up with a momentary interruption for a driving instruction my business associates understand.

Your solution of watching the nav screen and carrying on a conversation makes perfect sense except for that other activity you're engaged in....You know...DRIVING! I do know you, though. I see you on the road practically everyday weaving in front of me.

Yeah really, what's with these people? There's nothing at all annoying about being interrupted in the midIN 300FT, TURN LEFT ONTO 200TH STREETand of course that's when I decided to quit the circus. Anyway, what was I saying...ah yes...Not only should google not give anyone an option to turn it off, they should go one step further and automatically disconnect any call that dare interrupt its all-important turn-by-turn direcTURN LEFT ONTO 200TH STREET argh forget it I give up.

Seriously though, it's so annoying and counter-productive to have anything interrupting phone calls. Imagine the lawsuits when google navigation interrupts someones emergency 911 call! Hopefully someone at google does the common sense thing and either eliminates the interrupting navigation or makes it optional. The few people who demand to be interrupted could check off the box and the rest of us normal working folk could continue merrily about our way, un-interrupted.

I'll leave you with a brilliant joke...
*Knock Knock
- Who's There?
*Interrupting Google Navigation
- Interrupting Google Navi*TURN LEFT ONTO 36TH STREET

beckx020

Reaction score
I'm on both sides on this. I hate it to interrupt me on a call, but I DO need it to do that. You can't, you just can't drive, watch the screen, talk on the phone all at the same time. So, I have to vote to keep the voice prompts. But maybe they could quiet it down a bit and don't have as many prompts getting ready for a turn when you are on a call.

eliassami5

Reaction score
its not like its muting your call just so it can speak..it speaks over the call and most of the time the caller cant even hear the Nav talking.
If you are talking on the phone, driving, and looking at the nav screen at the same time you have bigger issues to worry about.

Google did the right thing here.

IcyStorm

Reaction score
Not really a fix or anything, but maybe you can use Tasker to do that? I don't know if it's possible (don't have it installed currently), but perhaps you could have it disable GPS when a phone call begins, and then have it reenable GPS when the call ends. I wouldn't know how to make it only do that when GPS was already enabled though. Perhaps if it also detects that Google Navigation is running?

ntrddragn

Reaction score
Not really a fix or anything, but maybe you can use Tasker to do that? I don't know if it's possible (don't have it installed currently), but perhaps you could have it disable GPS when a phone call begins, and then have it reenable GPS when the call ends. I wouldn't know how to make it only do that when GPS was already enabled though. Perhaps if it also detects that Google Navigation is running?

having tasker kill GPS while on a call will defeat the purpose of using the gps in the first place. I would assuming most people are using the gps because the dont know the way. If its off during a call you can drive pass your exit, no? Unless you have 300 miles to go it wouldnt work. :)

Ej4

Reaction score
Taking a quick look at your gps while driving isn't going to kill anyone, well for most people anyways.