Muting GPS while on call?

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
My kids will never know driving and navigating without using a GPS. I am guessing that is where the comments come... OMG...I have to have someone tell we where to go at every moment of my drive or I can not possible EVER find my destination!

I started using a GPS before anyone I personally know. But before that we had to use these things called "paper maps". These "paper maps" were made of "paper" and THEY DID NOT TALK. Somehow (maybe it is my superior intelligence) I was able to navigate across town or across country WITHOUT someone telling me EVERY move to make.

I like talking maps. I picked a Droid over every other smart phone because of Google and Google Nav. But the genre is "smart phone" and calls should take precedence over every other app.

beckx020

Reaction score
Back when you only had written directions (if you even did) and paper maps, I had adventures. I can still have them if I turn off the GPS. But I'd rather only have them when I want to.

Back in the good old days people were driving and looking at maps at the same time. Many accidents. I chose to never do that after my Uncle almost died in an accident with someone doing that. I would have to stop and look at a map along a route.

I'm glad I have GPS now.

lyam

Reaction score
Not really a fix or anything, but maybe you can use Tasker to do that? I don't know if it's possible (don't have it installed currently), but perhaps you could have it disable GPS when a phone call begins, and then have it reenable GPS when the call ends. I wouldn't know how to make it only do that when GPS was already enabled though. Perhaps if it also detects that Google Navigation is running?

having tasker kill GPS while on a call will defeat the purpose of using the gps in the first place. I would assuming most people are using the gps because the dont know the way. If its off during a call you can drive pass your exit, no? Unless you have 300 miles to go it wouldnt work. :)

Use Tasker to mute media volume?

WayTooSerious

Reaction score
If it was the other way...

People would be complaining about missing turns if the navigation prompts didn't trump the voice.

When complaints happen for both sides, the user interface should be modified to have an option for both.

Reaction score
Frankly if you are driving then maybe you shouldn't even be on the phone. Personally if the GPS nav is running the phone should be turned off. THAT is the setting I think we need to have.

But obviously a priority system needs to be setup so that people can set the phone to behave as they wish.

subru

Reaction score
Here is how to mute the Navigation voice during a call on an Android phone. Basically, you will download an App, have it notice whenever your "Phone" app is running (this is the case whenever you receive a phone call), and have it mute the Media Volume during the call. Here are the steps:

1) Download Tasker from the Android Market. It will set you back a few bucks.
2) Open Tasker, and create a new profile. Don't name it. Click checkmark to save.
3) The "First Context" window will pop up. Choose "Application", and then scroll down and select "Phone." Save.
4) Click "New Task". Don't name it, Save.
5) Click the "+" to add a new action, select "Audio", and select "Media Volume".
6) Change the Media Volume to zero.
7) Save everything. You're done now. The obnoxious navigation voice won't talk over your conversations anymore. $6.50 well spent, congratulations.