No GPS while on a call?

jismail

Reaction score
sheesh.. I sure hope I'm wrong, but I was in LA motoring along using the Navigation feature of my phone.. Life was good. Then my boss calls and I have to answer it, next thing I know, i miss my turn because it appears that the GPS feature doesn't work while the phone is being used.... Is this true or did I just mess up something in settings? :icon_eek:

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think this is true.....unfortunately the Droid can run multiple apps at one time, but it cannot utilize data and a voice call at the same time....

But thats what the iPhone is kinda famous for I know.....

ShowTime

Reaction score
This has only happened to me once, and it was over a month ago right when I first got the phone, but I'd swear I remember that that during the call, when it came time to take my exit, the voice navigation came through the earpiece telling me to turn then returned to the call.

edit: too slow typin my response... hmm apparently I'm remembering incorrectly then. Man, cocaine's a helluva drug... :laugh:

2nd edit: I thought I've heard that when you use navigation, it loads your route for you and you can continue to follow it/get directions, even if you lose signal (the maps will no longer be able to update your view, but the actual programmed route will still be available). Wouldn't this mean, in theory, that even though you aren't receiving data while on a call, the directions for your route could still be going?

Last edited:

billyidle

Reaction score
As long as you stay on your route, turn prompts will still come in even on a phone call.

gentlefury

Reaction score
If you install an offline GPS app you won't have this problem. Google Nav relies on data usage. MotoNav is really cool....and it is all offline so it works in airplane mode and while in a call. Maverick caches map tiles as you view them, so you can also use that offline as long as you go to the map and view your route prior to leaving.....MotoNav is easier.

OP
J

jismail

Reaction score
You will lose data whenever using the phone, unless you have wifi.

so does that mean that the GPS in the phone is not really using a gps type chipset and talking directly to a satellite but is more or less just a cell phone app of sorts that is using the Verizon data network? I guess that means you cant use the GPS in airplane mode then either?

gentlefury

Reaction score

so does that mean that the GPS in the phone is not really using a gps type chipset and talking directly to a satellite but is more or less just a cell phone app of sorts that is using the Verizon data network? I guess that means you cant use the GPS in airplane mode then either?

no it means that you need internet to see the map. Nav will continue to track your location but there won't be a map or directions. Just a blank screen with your location on it. If you use offline GPS systems it works fine while in a call or in airplane mode.

billyidle

Reaction score
No, it is a true GPS that receives satellite gps signals. There is also the less accurate cell tower based gps inside your droid, you get both. The google nav software does not cache maps, so when you lose data, you lose maps. Only your current route will continue working.

ShowTime

Reaction score
As long as you stay on your route, turn prompts will still come in even on a phone call.

Right, this is what I was saying. So, for the OP and others, you should still be able to get the voice turn by turn directions of your original route, even while on a call (because the call only disrupts the ability to receive data ie: updated map views; not the ability to follow the pre-determined route), right?

OP
J

jismail

Reaction score
No, it is a true GPS that receives satellite gps signals. There is also the less accurate cell tower based gps inside your droid, you get both. The google nav software does not cache maps, so when you lose data, you lose maps. Only your current route will continue working.

Thanks for clearing that up. Is the a recommended replacment app on the market that will not cost to much (or free?) that will work well for turn by turn navigation while still chatting on the phone?

tu3218

Reaction score
If you install an offline GPS app you won't have this problem. Google Nav relies on data usage. MotoNav is really cool....and it is all offline so it works in airplane mode and while in a call. Maverick caches map tiles as you view them, so you can also use that offline as long as you go to the map and view your route prior to leaving.....MotoNav is easier.

I tried searching motoNav in the market and I didn't find it. Is there another way I should search for it?

gentlefury

Reaction score

I tried searching motoNav in the market and I didn't find it. Is there another way I should search for it?

just search google for it....its not technically an app...it is a hardware GPS that someone ported over to the android OS (the hardware Nav runs off of android...so it was inevitable.)

It's over here:

http://droidappz.org/showthread.php?3898-iGO-My-way™-iGO-MotoNav™-cracked-by-JetMouse

I just downloaded the CA map since I don't really go out of state much...but if you need another state just dl it.

apastuszak

Reaction score
The GPS is not data

The GPS is not data. The lack of data while on a call is a limitation of CDMA. GPS doesn't go over CDMA Data.

Andy

apastuszak

Reaction score

My understanding is that your route is pulled down and cached, so if you lose data, you still get directions. If you go off-route without data, you may be in trouble.

Andy