Moving from broken Droid to new one

bovisrex

Reaction score
Hey! I apologize if this is a duplicate from another thread, but I wasn't able to find anything like what I'm looking for. I just got a replacement Droid after my old one started developing unrepairable problems with the touch screen. So far I've had to import my contacts three times and still not all of them are showing up on the new phone. As for importing my applications, txt messages, and user data, I'm at a complete loss. Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks!

(PS - As far as I know, the SD card is seated properly but I've reseated it just to make sure.)

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey! I apologize if this is a duplicate from another thread, but I wasn't able to find anything like what I'm looking for. I just got a replacement Droid after my old one started developing unrepairable problems with the touch screen. So far I've had to import my contacts three times and still not all of them are showing up on the new phone. As for importing my applications, txt messages, and user data, I'm at a complete loss. Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks!

(PS - As far as I know, the SD card is seated properly but I've reseated it just to make sure.)

:welcome: to the Droid Forums. Your contacts will be attached to your Gmail account so all you should have to do is synch your phone to gmail. Settings/Accounts & Sync press your gmail account and make sure sync contacts is on.

All your apps will be in your downloads in the market with the exception of the free ones. Those you'll have to go and get back on your own. Remember, everything is tied to Google.

Hope this helps.

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Welcome to Droid World, bovisrex! Glad to have you here!

rotordroid

Reaction score

Thanks!

Did you keep your SD card from the old phone? If so, what app did you use to back things up on the old phone?

If you have activated your new phone with the same Google account as your old phone, the market should know the apps you've had installed under "download"

If you used Astro, Titanium, or MyBackup then re-downloading that app and running the appropriate recovery for it should get you back in pretty good shape.

I think Hookbill beat me to it :)

OP
B

bovisrex

Reaction score
Yeah, I didn't back up anything... the guy at the Verizon store told me that all I should have to do was move my SD Card over. As a computer tech I should have known better. I may reactivate my old phone (I haven't sent it back yet) and back it up before going back to the new one, but I was hoping there was an easier way to get at least the texts and photos off of it.

Thanks for the tips on Google, though... I'll try that.

tmaster

Reaction score
We are having the same problem the touch screen is deal of the left and verizon sent a replacement. Problem is this is my sisters phone and when they set it up they created a google account but the password they wrote down does not work and they do not have it connected to the correct email address so I can not recover it. My sister already had a google account but they did not use it.

Can not find anything on the net that explains this but here is how to do it.

Go into contacts and select export to export all contacts to the memory card. Then import them into the new phone.

Install the Motorola Sync software on your PC and SYNC everything. Then connect the new phone and sync to it. This moves all photos and music

I connected the old phone by wifi and installed the SMS backup program and backed up SMS messages to the card. Then moved the card to the new phone and used SMS backup to restore all the SMS messages.

Best way to have done all this was to backup everything before activating the new phone

update found a SMS backup app that will sync all your text messages into a GMAIL folder this is another backup option.dancedroid

Last edited: