Movie theaters announce “zero tolerance” policy for wearable tech

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
34986_1_man_removed_from_movie_theater_and_detained_for_wearing_google_glass_full.jpg

Theater managers say they will kick out customers who don’t remove devices like smartwatches or Google Glass. This could prove difficult to enforce.

The Motion Picture Association of America, along with theater owners, has issued new guidelines aimed squarely at “wearable tech” devices such as Google Glass, watches and other gadgets that could record a movie.

[We] recognize the strong consumer interest in smart phones and wearable “intelligent” devices. As part of our continued efforts to ensure movies are not recorded in theaters, however, we maintain a zero-tolerance policy toward using any recording device while movies are being shown.

A smartwatch can capture about 15 seconds of video... What do you think? Leave you comments below...

Read more here

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Watches should be ok as long as they follow the same rules as cell phone use.

Google Glass, heck I live in Google's backyard and have yet to see it in public, but yeah they shouldn't be allowed in theaters.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
They shouldn't be able to disallow much of anything. That's the problem with America, you're guilty before committing a crime. Just because you have it doesn't mean it's being used illegally.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk 2

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
They shouldn't be able to disallow much of anything. That's the problem with America, you're guilty before committing a crime. Just because you have it doesn't mean it's being used illegally.

I think there are plenty of countries where that's a lot more accurate, and for all we "can't do," we should be happy that we don't live in THOSE countries. Just my 2 cents though.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Go ahead and try to kick me out for wearing a smartwatch. Can I kick out the moron who's talking during the whole movie as well?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Go ahead and try to kick me out for wearing a smartwatch. Can I kick out the moron who's talking during the whole movie as well?
I worked at and managed 2 movie theaters for 4-5 years. It's common practice for all of them to reserve the right to refuse service to anyone at any time, including asking them to leave with no refund for not complying.

I know not every theater is the same, but we were more than happy to come and ask someone to quiet down and/or to leave if they didn't quiet down after we asked them easily. All we needed was to have a customer come out and complain. We also had employees periodically "patrol" the auditoriums for people on their phones/talking/etc. Have you ever actually stepped out to find a manager/employee when people are doing that? Most people don't, but we always at LEAST investigated complaints like that.

Funny thing is, I got kicked out of one of those when I was younger because my friend was being obnoxious.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
We have. Problem is its usually two or three groups. And big momma ain't listening to anyone.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
You need better movie theater managers. I loved getting to lay down the law for people. Mostly because that same stuff pisses me off as well...I paid good money to see this movie, not the light from your phone screen and not to hear your ridiculous crap. It's one thing when it's an occasional comment that pertains to the movie, but if you want to jabber for 2 hours straight, go somewhere else.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I am betting this will not get enforced heavily especially on the watch side. The glasses yeah but watch is going to be hard to determine what someone have plus if it get too crazy people will take it off until they get past the usher and then put it back on when they are at their seats. Unless they are obviously using the device to record the movie leave them alone. Some people actually have kids who are being attended to by either family member or babysitter so the watch is actually better because they do not have to keep pulling their phones out making sure a message did not come through. As far as people texting I can careless as long as they dim their screen and turn off the sound and vibration. If they want to miss the movie they just spent 20 bucks on that is their business as long as they keep quiet. If I can watch a movie while playing on my phone from my house and not get distracted I am sure a screen 10 times the size of my tv will hold my attention where I am not distracted by someone texting in the theater but that is just me.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I think there are plenty of countries where that's a lot more accurate, and for all we "can't do," we should be happy that we don't live in THOSE countries. Just my 2 cents though.
That's typically the response. "It's not as bad as so-and-so, so it's still better here." When does it stop? There will always be worse. Do we keep restricting til we're at the bottom?

I'm talking about more than just watches and movie theaters. This may not be the place to talk about it in detail.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
So how much can Glass really record? What's the storage space? What's the battery life while doing intensive processing like that? Is it 1080p?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7

Copyright infringement costs billions annually in this country alone, and it ultimately raises the price for everyone at the end-user level, aka the ticket counter. If we can eliminate one more method that is used I say good. The watch is a stretch but the glasses...completely in agreement with that. You can't take them into a courtroom, into a classroom (except in extreme cases), to a concert, so why would the let them into a movie?