mounting/ unmounting sdcard

Reaction score
usually i just mount and unmount my card from my phone and dont usually fool with turning it off on the pc side. is this ill advised??

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
usually i just mount and unmount my card from my phone and dont usually fool with turning it off on the pc side. is this ill advised??

My personal opinion is you should take the time to do it right, however I've seen many people say that it makes no difference. I have a mac and my mac gets upset if I don't do it right. But it doesn't seem to harm anything.

jimnutt

Reaction score
in a word, yes.

Longer explanation, it depends. If windows is writing to the card when you pull the plug (so to speak), it could corrupt the data on the card. Also, Windows tends to cache data in memory before writing to the card, you might remove the card before the data gets a chance to be written to it. Worst case scenario is that the file system on the card gets corrupted and you lose all the data on the card. Mind you, that's unlikely, but it is a distinct possibility.

Reaction score

I would unmount from the phone. You could possibly cause data corruption if you are transferring something. Unmounting just makes sure nothing is moving across.

Edit: Above post, beat me to it.