No unmount option?

longboat

Reaction score
After I mount and transfer stuff.. I don't ever see an unmount option like I do when I connect to my computer, just "turn off USB storage. I was told I will corrupt my card if I don't unmount properly. I am using XP.

amb4582

Reaction score
You do not have to unmount it. It does it automatically when you remove the phone from the USB.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You do not have to unmount it. It does it automatically when you remove the phone from the USB.

thanks for answering. So it is safe to just click turn off usb storage and pull the phone from the usb cable.....

Assuming you're on a PC you should click on the device on the bottom of your screen and tell your pc to disconnect. Then you pull down the notification window and you wil see an unmount selection there.

Just disconnecting without taking these steps can cause problems.

amb4582

Reaction score

thanks for answering. So it is safe to just click turn off usb storage and pull the phone from the usb cable.....

Assuming you're on a PC you should click on the device on the bottom of your screen and tell your pc to disconnect. Then you pull down the notification window and you wil see an unmount selection there.

I was under the impression that with Windows XP OS and newer, the unmounting and "safe removal" options of disconnecting the USB were not necessary. I have done it probably hundreds of times with my Droid without corrupting or altering any data. I guess to be safe you can do that though.

OP
L

longboat

Reaction score

That is my problem there is no option to disconnect from my PC. I tried eject in My computer on that drive. Maybe that is it but did not give me a message, then I went to my phone>settings and found unmount in the SD card & phone storage and hit - unmount. I hope this is right. Not very clear. Easy to mount not so easy to unmount!

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
That is my problem there is no option to disconnect from my PC.
You don't have this icon in your system tray with the SD card mounted?

safely_remove_1.gif

rocketman45

Reaction score
Unmount

I have been doing what amb4582 has been doing without any apparent problem. I didn't realize that if I clicked on the icon in the tray I would get the opportunity to click to safely remove the USB device. I just tried this and then got the message, just above the system tray, that I could safely remove the device. However, this has not changed anything regarding the notifications and messages on the phone itself. I still have the same sequence: I pull down the notification bar and touch the message next to the USB symbol that says to turn off USB storage. When I do this a window opens with the exclamation point in the yellow triangle symbol and the message "Turn Off USB storage" beneath which there is a button "Turn Off". When I push this I get the message in the notification bar "Preparing SD card". That message disappears in a few seconds and then the USB symbol and the exclamation/triangle symbols reappear just as they do when you first plug in the cable attached to the PC (I have Windows XP by the way). At no point to I get any kind of message on the phone regarding unmounting. So even though I can now click to safely remove the USB device, the steps on the phone itself are exactly the same. Hard to know if clicking "Safely remove. . ." really affords any particular benefit. As I said I have been doing this without the "safely remove" function for some time without any apparent problems.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have the 'connected devices' icon in my taskbar as well.... i simply unplug the Droid when I'm done... haven't had any issues.

Also used to just 'unplug' my BB Storm with no issues. The only device I have used that I had to click on the 'device' icon in the taskbar was my iPod because if I didn't disconnect via the PC my iPod would never turn off.

928Droid

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.928gt.com
Look at the Notification bar "USB Connected notice", tap it and you can unmount it (if already mounted, or mount it if unmounted etc.) without disconnecting it from the PC.

This way it can still be charging while you use the Droid, or to test files that were transfered when it was mounted.