Motorola Turning Legal Guns, Now Aimed At Apple

WenWM

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
moto.jpg

Now this is just getting ridiculous. Motorola today announced they are going after Apple for infringement over 18 of their patents. This 18 mostly involve 3G antennas and things in that nature.
Now I say this is ridiculous because now that Motorola has sued Apple, Apple will counter sue and go against Motorola for similar things as Microsoft is doing. This means the battle of who is being sued now involves everyone from Google to HTC and now Apple.
The Motorola patents include wireless communication technologies, such as WCDMA (3G), GPRS, 802.11 and antenna design, and key smartphone technologies including wireless email, proximity sensing, software application management, location-based services and multi-device synchronization
“Motorola has innovated and patented throughout every cycle of the telecommunications industry evolution, from Motorola’s invention of the cell phone to its development of premier smartphone products. We have extensively licensed our industry-leading intellectual property portfolio, consisting of tens of thousands of patents in the U.S. and worldwide. After Apple’s late entry into the telecommunications market, we engaged in lengthy negotiations, but Apple has refused to take a license. We had no choice but to file these complaints to halt Apple’s continued infringement,” said Kirk Daily, corporate vice president of intellectual property at Motorola.

I do not get why this is all happening now, but at this rate America will not have any good devices left since the International Trade Commission will ban them all.

News via: BGR

tiggerxplur

Reaction score
isnt most of that commonly used in a lot of devices not just phones why does it matter who is using common knowledge i know its all about money but competition is good for advertising and making more money just let everyone do what they want and have fun with it

XMasterMoronX

Reaction score
this might confuse some people into thinking that it was Motorola who implemented that ****ty antenna design :laugh::laugh:

RemyL75

Reaction score
this might confuse some people into thinking that it was Motorola who implemented that ****ty antenna design :laugh::laugh:

If Motorola did in fact invent the antenna that is used in the iPhone 4, then that would make Apple look even more idiotic than they already do for "borrowing" a design that ... well... SUCKED LMAO

RemyL75

Reaction score
All of these lawsuits/legal posturing/p!$$!^g contests really don't do much in the short term. They are not about to kick in your door and take you Android device (unless Steve Jobs somehow gets elected President in 2012), so not a lot to worry about right now.

Now, when the dust settles, depending on the winner(s), we might have some kick-ass devices, or we might be using a lot of cans and a LOT of string lol. In any event, I'll check back on this in 2011.

rcjames

Reaction score
Go get'em Motorola apple is dead **** and old technology VIVA ANDROID DROIDS. Find all the little **** and sue them that little company get them bankrupt. dancedroid

Nerotoxen

Reaction score
Maybe it's microsoft talking under the table saying "If you don't sue Apple, we're coming after you!" lol Kinda funny right???

Travillion

Reaction score
I wonder if this has anything to do with yesterday's announcement that Verizon might get an iPhone by early 2011 (Apple Making Verizon-Ready iPhone by Year End - WSJ.com). Maybe Motorola is worried their domination of Verizon's smartphone market will take a hit and so they're looking for some compensation. Then again, these Verizon/iPhone rumors have been going around for a while, so...maybe not.

chaz.ring

Reaction score

If Motorola did in fact invent the antenna that is used in the iPhone 4, then that would make Apple look even more idiotic than they already do for "borrowing" a design that ... well... SUCKED LMAO

I know that Dr. Martin Cooper of Motorola was indeed the inventor of the first non-car mobile phone...... it was patented on Oct. 17, 1973.

Cunha

Reaction score
Motorola probably has the most communications patents of anyone they were pioneers from the earliest days. Thats why so many people love them.

It would be nice to see the Iphone on verizon wireless. I don't care about motorolas profits so much as I do options for consumers.