Motorola Milestone loops at boot!

KiloLee

Reaction score
Like the title states, my mom's Milestone just loops at boot. All we get is the "M" logo, then the Android logo flashing over and over.

The phone is running on official Motorola (Ntelos network) firmware, and has NOT been modified in any way. (Yes, I'm sure.)

My mom was ending a call, and wasn't able to get the phone back on. Any idea how to maybe reset it all?

She's had to switch back to an ancient "smartphone" until she can get something else, so I'd like to be able to fix this one for her.

I appreciate any help in advance.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Have you tried booting into stock recovery and doing a factory reset? I am not sure exactly how to do it on the milestone but I am sure between us we can find it online somewhere. Let me know and I will try and look if you haven't performed this step yet.

OP
KiloLee

KiloLee

Reaction score
Have you tried booting into stock recovery and doing a factory reset? I am not sure exactly how to do it on the milestone but I am sure between us we can find it online somewhere. Let me know and I will try and look if you haven't performed this step yet.

I browsed around online, and I tried a few reset options that I found, but nothing works. Unfortunately, all other options I can find all assume that the phone is rooted :/

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
If you booted into recovery and did a full reset but that did not help then you may have to do what is known as "SBFing your phone." There are tons of guides on how to do it, including videos, so a Google search should return many results. Let me know if you need help finding anything.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
I think ntelos is CDMA so that's what I was going by. Not sure if there is an SBF for that or not honestly.

ufcfan72

Reaction score
I think ntelos is CDMA so that's what I was going by. Not sure if there is an SBF for that or not honestly.

I use Cspire & it's a smaller carrier that had the milestone cdma version. I don't remember having a SBF file for it.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

OP
KiloLee

KiloLee

Reaction score
If you booted into recovery and did a full reset but that did not help then you may have to do what is known as "SBFing your phone." There are tons of guides on how to do it, including videos, so a Google search should return many results. Let me know if you need help finding anything.

Well, I wasn't able to actually do ANYTHING, at all. Nothing I tried (button combos) would work. Here's a video I just took:
[video]http://s563.photobucket.com/albums/ss75/KiloLee/?action=view&current=2012-07-10_19-21-26_617.mp4[/video]

Is your phone the CDMA or GSM version?

I think ntelos is CDMA so that's what I was going by.

Yeah, CDMA, I believe.

I appreciate you guys helping me out with this

Last edited:

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Sorry, somehow I missed that you replied. When booting up you need to hold in the button combo until you get to the Android screen. In this video I do not see which buttons you hit at all so I am thinking that could be it possibly.

OP
KiloLee

KiloLee

Reaction score
Sorry, somehow I missed that you replied. When booting up you need to hold in the button combo until you get to the Android screen. In this video I do not see which buttons you hit at all so I am thinking that could be it possibly.

Oh, in the video, I was only showing the now-normal startup (without any button combos). The three button combos I used had literally no effect. I tried holding the buttons for varying durations, but nothing at all. :(