Phone will loop boot screen, and not boot. Help.

reflex99

Reaction score
I'll get this out of the way first: Yes, I am a noob, if i put this in the wrong section, sorry.

Yesterday, I rooted my droid 1, using the guide on here. That went fine.

Flashed it to Cyanogenmod (pretty sure it is 6.1.2, but i could be wrong). That wen't great as well.

Then i tried to flash a theme....... being the noob I am, i flashed it over cyanogenmod...... yes, i'm fairly certain that that was dumb, but like i said at the top, i am a noob.

I did make a recovery right before I messed it up, not sure if that helps me or not though.

So now, whenever I turn on my phone, the Motorola logo will show, then the CM logo will come up (android on skateboard with the), and then it will got black for about .5sec , and then the CM logo will come back, and start over, rinse repeat.

This loop doesn't end until I remove the battery.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. :heart:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
When you get into recovery as the previous poster stated, do a wipe of both data and cache. That will stop the boot loop.

OP
R

reflex99

Reaction score
What happens when you hold the power + X buttons? Can you get into recovery?

Yea,

@hook, i'll see what happens

EDIT: btw, youguys>XDA. Thread posted on XDA at 7am (PST), still 0 responses.

OP
R

reflex99

Reaction score
boot loop still there after wiping both data and cache.

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Did you wipe data and cache before flashing the theme?? If so, that's your problem. A theme is not a full rom, and is meant to be installed over the top of the rom without wiping (just to change the look of the rom). So, once you go back into recovery and wipe, you will need to install the rom again and reboot. After you sign in and let the mkt sync all your apps, then you can go back into recovery and flash the theme. Again, don't wipe before installing the theme, just wipe before flashing the rom.

Good luck!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
R

reflex99

Reaction score
Did you wipe data and cache before flashing the theme?? If so, that's your problem. A theme is not a full rom, and is meant to be installed over the top of the rom without wiping (just to change the look of the rom). So, once you go back into recovery and wipe, you will need to install the rom again and reboot. After you sign in and let the mkt sync all your apps, then you can go back into recovery and flash the theme. Again, don't wipe before installing the theme, just wipe before flashing the rom.

Good luck!

Chronological order:

1. root
  2. install CM6
  3. create recovery (backup?)
  4. attempt to flash theme
  5. come to forum, and make thread

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Also, you have to make sure the theme is for the EXACT version of the rom you're flashing. If jot, you wool boot loop. So, if you're trying to flash a theme for CM 6.1.1 onto CM 6.1.2, you will get a boot loop. That's cuz most dev'rs make tweaks to framework in different rom versions. No matter how small the tweak, if the theme framework doesn't match you'll boot loop.

OP
R

reflex99

Reaction score
Also, you have to make sure the theme is for the EXACT version of the rom you're flashing. If jot, you wool boot loop. So, if you're trying to flash a theme for CM 6.1.1 onto CM 6.1.2, you will get a boot loop. That's cuz most dev'rs make tweaks to framework in different rom versions. No matter how small the tweak, if the theme framework doesn't match you'll boot loop.

that is probably why. Like i said, total noob here.

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just fyi, the order should be:

Wipe data and cache
Format boot and system in partitions menu
Flash rom
Reboot, sign into Google, and let mkt dl all your apps
Boot into recovery and flash theme
Reboot

It's not advisable to flash rom and then theme right away, without first booting up the rom, by itself.

OP
R

reflex99

Reaction score
fixed it.

Just found the restore option in the reovery thing. retored to restore file. Works fine now.

Thanks for all the help !

EDIT: i did boot the rom first. But like you said, the theme was not made for 6.1.2

Last edited:

rubiksc00p

Reaction score
Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
how do i flash a rom in recovery mode?

Put the zip on your sd, reboot into cwm recovery. Then "Install zip from sd"> choose zip (find your file on the sd card)> yes. You navigate using volume up down, power for back and at least for the DX, camera to select, just check your specific device to see what it is.
Is that what you were wondering?