Motorola Droid 3 in Verizon Database; May Initially Come with Froyo

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
droid3-verizon-database.jpg

Sometimes you just gotta scratch your head at some of the decisions that manufacturers/retailers make; Case in point: The Motorola Droid 3 just showed up in the Verizon database... Yay! :)

Sadly, the database also indicates that it will ship with, Froyo... Boo! :icon_eek:

While the release of this amazing phone potentially coming soon is news to celebrate, it seems to make no sense that they will release it with an older OS. For crying out loud, you can get Gingerbread on the Droid X now. Oh well... I suppose we should look on the bright side that the phone may be coming as soon as June!

Source: Droid-Life

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Maybe they want GB to go out OTA so they can track us crooked rooters who wont take the update! Conspiracy city!!

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
It was benchmarked running 2.3 a few weeks ago. This will be totally lame if true.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey, maybe if they want to tweak GB to track tethering it means the device will be unlocked :)

Anyone else kind of feeling like GB may be a dead OS version and the majority of capable phones will just skip it for Ice Cream in Q4?

GardenWeasel

Reaction score
It would be interesting to start with FroYo and update within a month to GB...just to see the speed increase mentioned above!

The Robot Cow

Reaction score
I think this so called gingerbread update is a superstitious myth lol

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Appears "fruitcake" may have been a better name for GB, but I guess Froyo already took the "F"

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
Fortunately this isn't written in stone so the OS TYPE field could change. Besides, I doubt it will be long before someone roots the Droid 3 and starts cranking out Gingerbread ROMs for it.

matt2783

Reaction score
So my OG has been running Gingerbread for months and the Droid 3 is (supposedly) going to ship with Froyo... This is why I refuse to buy a locked down phone.