Droid 3 and Droid X2 Show-Up in Best Buy Database with Model Numbers Confirmed

crazynikka

Reaction score
I'm also hoping that these phones are unlocked, that would put me over the top on my decision to jump on one of these phones

gsdreams

Reaction score
From what I hear, on 4g you can talk and use data unlike 3g, obviously. So any phone that's 4g can do that

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
not true...well with the htc evo at least...i tried using data and talkin at the same time but it said it connection error

4G on the Evo (Sprint) is different than 4G on the Thunderbolt (Verizon). But as far as I know, voice over LTE has not been enabled. The ability to use voice and data at the same time with the Thunderbolt is on 3G right now, but I believe it uses a different type of 3G radio than the norm to make this happen.

Ok, let's clarify this.

The TBolt uses CDMA for voice and 3G Data. Voice and Data are only guaranteed to work in 4G coverage areas.

The reason? 3G CDMA and 4G LTE are two different technologies with different radios.

You are right that 4G only supports data which is why you can be on a CDMA (dates back past 1X) voice call and still use LTE data.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

Snow02

Reaction score
not true...well with the htc evo at least...i tried using data and talkin at the same time but it said it connection error

4G on the Evo (Sprint) is different than 4G on the Thunderbolt (Verizon). But as far as I know, voice over LTE has not been enabled. The ability to use voice and data at the same time with the Thunderbolt is on 3G right now, but I believe it uses a different type of 3G radio than the norm to make this happen.

Ok, let's clarify this.

The TBolt uses CDMA for voice and 3G Data. Voice and Data are only guaranteed to work in 4G coverage areas.

The reason? 3G CDMA and 4G LTE are two different technologies with different radios.

You are right that 4G only supports data which is why you can be on a CDMA (dates back past 1X) voice call and still use LTE data.

Wrong. SVDO is strictly a 3G/1x tech.
xQhdYlP

gsdreams

Reaction score

Ok, let's clarify this.

xQhdYlP

That type of service isn't guaranteed or supported by Verizon. Verizon only supports voice and data on. LTE + CDMA. I do support for Verizon and get trained in the new technology. Besides that I have 15 years IT background.

Now I did not say voice and data over CDMA wouldn't work, I said verizon doesn't support it or state it will work.

Reaction score
So if you're on the thunderbolt, and you're on a phone call using cdma, (and if you're in a 4g coverage zone) the phone will only use 3g data even though Lte is available?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

gsdreams

Reaction score
So if you're on the thunderbolt, and you're on a phone call using cdma, (and if you're in a 4g coverage zone) the phone will only use 3g data even though Lte is available?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

No, it uses 4G for the data.

Snow02

Reaction score
Ok, let's clarify this.

xQhdYlP

That type of service isn't guaranteed or supported by Verizon. Verizon only supports voice and data on. LTE + CDMA. I do support for Verizon and get trained in the new technology. Besides that I have 15 years IT background.

Now I did not say voice and data over CDMA wouldn't work, I said verizon doesn't support it or state it will work.

Not true. Ask anyone with a thunderbolt to run a speedtest while on a voice call. Not to mention people have used it in 3G-only areas. I'm sorry, you are misinformed.

gsdreams

Reaction score
Do you even understand how this technology works? Do you understand the fundamental basis of how the radios work?

My sister can only "sometimes" use voice and data on her tb in a 3G area and if you call verizon in a 3G area and complain about voice and data not working simultaneously they will tell you it isn't supported for a reason.

Snow02

Reaction score
I do. It's not "officially" supported as the 1x advanced system upgrade is not fully rolled out yet.

gsdreams

Reaction score
I do. It's not "officially" supported as the 1x advanced system upgrade is not fully rolled out yet.

If you understood the technology then you would understand how a 4G radio and 3G voice can work simultaneously, which is what verizon is pushing.

Snow02

Reaction score
While that should absolutely be possible, that's not how it's implemented. And if it is indeed being sold that way, customers are being lied to.

gsdreams

Reaction score
While that should absolutely be possible, that's not how it's implemented. And if it is indeed being sold that way, customers are being lied to.

I have to disagree. I know people with tbs, friends of mine, in Seattle who are definitely getting higher than 3G speeds while on a phone call.

Now although they don't get full 4G speeds that is to be expected by a phone that has a 1GHZ processor trying to pull off a voice call on one radio while running data on the other.

Snow02

Reaction score
You can disagree all you like. Just make sure to come back for the I told you so when you independently confirm you're wrong.

gsdreams

Reaction score
Trying to convince a friend to come on here who lives in Seattle and owns a TB unrooted and unaltered. While we were on the phone he just did a speedtest.net check and pulled 3MB. You can't do that on 3G.