Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
In the past three days I have seen that story reported several different ways.... cancelling the Moto Z, cancelling the Moto X, cancelling Moto Mods, etc. I'm sure there is some truth to the scale back of employees (unfortunately....that's very sad) but there are too many rumors swirling to know what's true about product cutbacks.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I can see the Moto X being cut, I don't think the new Moto X4 sold very well. That's just my guess, judging by the number of posts related to that phone on the Moto Forum compared to other phones. But the Moto Z and Moto Mods are their "bread & butter" right now, so I don't see those going away. I think they need to consolidate their mid-range lineup into maybe one phone; the Moto G and E are great phones, but why do we need both? I have no idea what the Moto M is all about since it's only sold in China. But why not combine the Moto G and Moto E production into one mid-range phone? And then have the Moto Z as the flagship. Those are just my thoughts, as a long time Moto fan and Moto owner.

Last edited:

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm horrible at predicting tech, but I thought Moto mods was pure genius and that's something you need to patiently play the long game on.

Phones are already basically a commodity, and with the trend toward smaller bezels they will all practically be clones. The money will be in upgrades and special mods/attachments - that's the space I'd want to pioneer and be the brand name in.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I take all of these articles with a big grain of salt. Here is an excerpt from another related story, as reported by Gizmochina:

"A few days ago, it was reported that Lenovo (Motorola) had laid off a large percentage of its staff in Chicago. According to an employee, the workforce was cut by half. Lenovo has issued a statement saying that the report is false. In a response to an inquiry by Engadget, Lenovo did admit that there were layoffs but added that it didn’t affect half of its workforce in Chicago. It also that the “Moto Z family will continue”.....The Moto X4 will still not get a successor but we will receive a third generation Moto Z series, a 6th gen Moto G lineup including a Play variant, and a new Moto E series."