motorcycle mount ;)

Daver

Reaction score
Been thinking about doing this also, but I think I'll be too nervous to try come spring lol.

Devindroid

Reaction score
The problem with most of the mounts is the phone will not fit in the holder with the protective case on, looked at them at Verizon and will have to take the case off in order for the phone to fit...

skidemn

Reaction score
The problem with most of the mounts is the phone will not fit in the holder with the protective case on, looked at them at Verizon and will have to take the case off in order for the phone to fit...

Here's more detail to the motorcycle/bicycle mount I posted earlier. There are two versions available- low profile and standard. Standard comes with an eyeball type swivel to adjust viewing angle:
4222894655_ffae5c6da3_o.jpg

Here's the holder and strap retention device:
4222894709_7d37dd3f30_o.jpg

And here is the holder and retention device holding a Droid:
4222894763_9a88bf881b_o.jpg

Here's a link to the item page for the swivel mount: Motorcycle/Bicycle Swivel Mount for Electronic Devices by: iGrip -. The complete kit for the Droid (with magnet) can be ordered in the drop down box at the page bottom. If interested, please PM me for a coupon code good for 10% off.

Arkainzeye

Reaction score
being a rider myself and having a motorcycle Designed gps i will say the first things that come to mind is 1)weather resistant 2) shock resistant 3)what is the temp range on this product and what is the side effect of direct Sunlight on the screen over a period of time. I think one of the more important things would be shock from being hard mounted to a motorcycle with stiffer suspension.. Just my 2 cents.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
being a rider myself and having a motorcycle Designed gps i will say the first things that come to mind is 1)weather resistant 2) shock resistant 3)what is the temp range on this product and what is the side effect of direct Sunlight on the screen over a period of time. I think one of the more important things would be shock from being hard mounted to a motorcycle with stiffer suspension.. Just my 2 cents.
I'm curious to hear answers to your questions too. I've read on other motorcycle forums that a ziplock bag does wonders to keep GPS units (and Droids, no doubt) dry while riding. I'm not going to look too deeply into this until Spring now anyway, but seriously would like to get a mount when the time comes. I do like the idea of the straps going across the Droid though.

Arkainzeye

Reaction score
you might want to do this. look up the specs on what makes a motorcycle gps a cycle gps. i think its more than just being dry.. I would be more concerned with the vibration and bouncing of the road. like potholes and the shock to the phone, considering it is more of a phone than a all purpose gps. i have had 5 motorcycle gps's over the years and then themselves took a beating from the road and eventually broke.. i could only imagine what a cellphone would do over the long run. now keep in mind i use my gps on multi state trips, so maybe if you use it for just around town it might be ok?

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
you might want to do this. look up the specs on what makes a motorcycle gps a cycle gps. i think its more than just being dry.. I would be more concerned with the vibration and bouncing of the road. like potholes and the shock to the phone, considering it is more of a phone than a all purpose gps. i have had 5 motorcycle gps's over the years and then themselves took a beating from the road and eventually broke.. i could only imagine what a cellphone would do over the long run. now keep in mind i use my gps on multi state trips, so maybe if you use it for just around town it might be ok?
Very good points for sure. What I used to do when I had VZ Navigator with my Curve and then Storm was I'd go on motorcycle rides and just go wherever. Then when I wanted to go home, I'd turn on VZ Navigator, which also had audible turn by turn directions), put in my earplug under the helmet, and let it take me home, and it was in my leather jacket pocket, so it was safe. I guess very good point well taken about the bouncing and everything that will occur....but sure hope I don't hit that many deep potholes on my Vulcan!

Arkainzeye

Reaction score
WHATS bad for you like me is we live in PA.. our roads are known to be full of potholes and bumps... When i had my vulcan 2000 i bottomed out a few times! My victory vision doesnt bottom out like my vn2k did. but still these roads in pa will surely test the strength of a Droid! lol i can see the keyboard getting loose or something?

Very good points for sure. What I used to do when I had VZ Navigator with my Curve and then Storm was I'd go on motorcycle rides and just go wherever. Then when I wanted to go home, I'd turn on VZ Navigator, which also had audible turn by turn directions), put in my earplug under the helmet, and let it take me home, and it was in my leather jacket pocket, so it was safe. I guess very good point well taken about the bouncing and everything that will occur....but sure hope I don't hit that many deep potholes on my Vulcan!

atomicwedgie

Reaction score
The points made about vibration would be my biggest concern. I don't think a few potholes would be worrisome because if the mount has any give at all (like a flexible gooseneck) it would soften those blows.

Vibration can be hell on soldered parts especially if they're lead-free soldered as most new devices are to meet ROHS standards. To counter this you'd need a really flexible, almost rubberband like mount.

There are lots of places to get a weather resistant pouch to put the phone in or you could go with something like THIS which would also help with vibration. Of course it makes designing a mounting system more difficult.

Arkainzeye

Reaction score
i just had another thought. would the noise of the wind and the engine drowned out the turn by turn directions and would this cause you to take your eyes off the road to focus more on the screen? My garmin 2720 gps talks through my audio system on the bike so you dont have to take your eyes off the deer standing in the middle of the road waiting to give you a Big Kiss. lol I had all my motorcycle gps failed with in 2 years from normal use and these were device made to be in the Sun all day and the bumps of the road.. btw is direct sunlight on the screen for a period of time a problem for the Droid? Just something to maybe thing about. I wasnt sure if the Droid meant for that type of usage? My screen on my MC gps would turn black until i got it in the shade, but it would also go back to normal. Im not sure about a cellphone screen. Not saying it Will hurt it. just a thought.

OP
C

colby12cb

Reaction score
well my problem with the ram mounts is that my steering stabilizer would be in the way...ive given up on the idea of using it as a video camera and just decided to invest in a gopro hd model. GoPro HD HERO®: Pre-Production Test Footage

as far as the mounting goes ill be securing it with some 3m tape and some zipties as a failsafe device just in case, but its still artic here in Tennessee so i have plenty of time before riding season.

Arkainzeye

Reaction score
is there any tech specs for hte Droid as to the Temp range it can be used in? I know no one is going to use it in the artic cold, i was more concerned about Leaving it in the Summer Sun. is there a range

PrairieDog

Reaction score
However you decide to mount it here is an added bonus - I did a temp mount on my cruise motorcycle with a J&M CB system - not only can I hear the audible turn-by-turn navigation instructions through my helmet speakers, but I can listen to the music player AND place and receive phone calls hands free with the PPT (push to talk) microphone. Freakin' Sweet!

Arkainzeye

Reaction score
if you are in gps mode, and you get a call and answer it. does the data part of the gps (where it loads the maps as you drive) Stop due to a lack of data connection because of Now being on a phone call? just a thought? i havent tried it yet.