Most Durable Droid Phone

HowDoIUseAndroid

Reaction score
Anything with Gorilla Glass

I drop my phone on weekly/ monthly basis and need a phone that's screen won't crack on me...what phone should I get? And I know what your thinking, just get a case...not my cup of tea.

Yeah, the Gorilla Glass on my DroidX has never been scratched, it's great. The Droid RAZR has it, plus a Kevlar back. Certainly don't get a fragile iPhone ;)

mokes

Reaction score
Casio commando. I've dropped it from head height several times and no problems. The screen is recessed gorilla glass.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk

I would think this is the best bet too.

t35rk

Reaction score
I drop my phone on weekly/ monthly basis and need a phone ...what phone should I get?

a used one.

Original droids are $50. At that rate, they are disposable.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Based purely on phone build, the moto droids are probably the best. They all have metal housings and are pretty sturdy feeling. First thing I noticed when I got my Inc was how light and cheap it felt being made out of plastic.
Agreed. Phones have really dropped in quality until recently since the Moto Droid. That thing was solid and I still have it, but man it was a brick compared to my Nexus and Incredible.

Right now, I'd say the most durable phone is the Razr, and that's just based on what it's made of, I haven't seen any drop tests or anything yet.

HowDoIUseAndroid

Reaction score
Droid RAZR has Gorilla Glass and a Kevlar back.
You should talk to the phone sales guys and see what phones are being returned the most/least.

rubiksc00p

Reaction score
Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
Casio commando. I've dropped it from head height several times and no problems. The screen is recessed gorilla glass.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk

That's what I was going to say. The only thing is, it's a really weak phone! ;)

Agreed. Phones have really dropped in quality until recently since the Moto Droid. That thing was solid and I still have it, but man it was a brick compared to my Nexus and Incredible.

Right now, I'd say the most durable phone is the Razr, and that's just based on what it's made of, I haven't seen any drop tests or anything yet.

Uhm... ... I'm not sure about that. I've seen crash tests and read stories where the Razr shatters even from a low height. The Nex actually fared better in what I've read and watched.

I'd say the safest phone is the one in the Otterbox! ;)

Sent from the best phone on Verizon!

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Uhm... ... I'm not sure about that. I've seen crash tests and read stories where the Razr shatters even from a low height. The Nex actually fared better in what I've read and watched.

I'd say the safest phone is the one in the Otterbox! ;)

Sent from the best phone on Verizon!
Well the OG Droid was all metal, it could really take a beating. These newer phones can take a beating, but the phones in between (X, D2, Inc, etc.) all picked up any type of damage fairly easily from what I've seen. I had the Inc and my friends had all the other models and they all got damaged fairly easily. I take care of my phone too, but one time I brought it out to play basketball, accidentally dropped it maybe 6in and the bezel got a small chip. It certainly felt cheap.

These newer phones are made much better (D3, Razr, Nexus, etc.) Although most of these phones are made of plastic still I feel they're made of higher quality/more durable plastics. My nephew dropped my Nexus from a good 3ft onto marble and not a scratch, I don't think I could've said the same about my Incredible had it dropped from the same height. Also gave my OG Droid to my sister for a year and she is a klutz with phones or things she doesn't really care about and the Droid stood up to all that. The battery door is off alignment, but other than that it's in good condition still.

And I agree, the safest phone is in a case, but I personally can't stand seeing my phone in a case.

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
Just because a phone is made out of metal, doesn't mean it is any more or less prone to having something bad happen to it on a drop. A short drop can end any phone's life if you are unlucky. It can be made out of some indestructible metal, and a short drop will still jar something inside loose. Or the screen will get messed up.

Gorilla glass is scratch resistant, not bullet proof. You can still crack, shatter, and even scratch the display if you are unfortunate, or continue to put your device in the line of fire. I have seen pictures of many Gorilla Glass devices after what were allegedly short falls, and having lots of cracks on their display.

I realize this thread is over a year old, but the Casio Commando is probably the best bet as a couple folks have mentioned above. I believe it has military grade ruggedization. It isn't indestructible though, I am sure someone has figured out a way to kill it.

pinoy_92

Reaction score
i would say the original droid. i throw that phone whenever im angry and its still running. cant say the same with my razr cuz its so thin i feel that i can break it in my hand.

other than some paint getting chipped off the phone is in great quality.

DroidDex2

Reaction score
Well, if you read the pamphlets that come with your phone, they say any phone, no matter the material, should never hit the ground. I did have the Droid2 and dropped it countless times, concrete, asphalt, even slush piles in parking lots, jumping out of raised trucks forgetting it on my lap and watching it tumble to a painful garage floor. Not to mention every drop, of course my luck, would hit on a critical screen corner. Never even a crack to the glass, all four corners were mutilated and the bad boy still performed just ducky! That phone was never even cased mind you, only protected front and back by the Invisible Shield.

Now here with Mr. Droid 3 and it feels even more solid and durable than its older brother. But I can't go as far to say as its even equally as durable considering this phone hasn't even felt an impact to carpet after about two months of its life so far, and I don't intend on seeing in lower then my belt line. So from a personal view, any Droid in the Moto series should meet expectations in durability. Not to mention my loyalty to the Moto line up, love these phones, highly recommended!

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

mikeyd08

Reaction score
I drop my phone on weekly/ monthly basis and need a phone that's screen won't crack on me...what phone should I get? And I know what your thinking, just get a case...not my cup of tea.

So let me see.. you drop your phone on a weekly/monthly basis and don't want a case? What? Does this make ANY sense to anyone?

Sent from my GT-P7510 using DroidForums

Tillers_Rule

Reaction score
Casio has a new G Shock phone coming out. Supports 4G but they haven't released hardware specs yet. The thing looks pretty tough.

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2012/01/casio-g-shock-phone/

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums