Monkey see Monkey do: S8 no headphone jack?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
hqdefault.jpg

Technically Motorola was first but the company that got the most publicity for leaving out the headphone jack was Apple. The iPhone 7/7+ went without a headphone jack and the world lost their minds at first but quickly got over it. Plus it opened the door for companies to innovate ways around it.

As much as Samsung made the headphone jack a staple of their commercial, it is ironic that they themselves are looking to follow suit. But this is not the first time we have seen this with android as the Droiddoes commercial made fun of Apple for a lot of lacking features only to the adopt those same features (or lack thereof) in future iterations.

So was Apple right, are 3.5mm headphone jacks no longer needed?

Source: Exclusive: Galaxy S8 is not going to feature a 3.5mm headphone jack

thc1967

Reaction score
They're probably unnecessary for daily use, but there are some special cases that still need them. For example, sound / mixer boards usually don't have bluetooth connectivity. If you want to play music from your phone through a PA system, you need a wired connection.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
For my personal use of a phone, the 3.5mm jack has been useless and unwanted for years. Not because I want bluetooth headphones but because I don't use headphones in general.

I however don't want phones to get rid of the 3.5mm jack just because I don't want Apple to somehow get validation for being "courageous".

zinethar

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8 and Note 10
When I travel I want to watch/listen to my things in private and use headphones (I have an expensive set that works with my hearing aides). Sure you could get the adapter (gee just another adapter...) but then the extra batteries and chargers are useless and you have to take turns with the devices. To me it seems like another way to make them even skinnier which generally makes them more brake prone. How about making a phone that doesn't need a case instead?

redbert31

Diamond Member
Reaction score
When I travel I want to watch/listen to my things in private and use headphones (I have an expensive set that works with my hearing aides). Sure you could get the adapter (gee just another adapter...) but then the extra batteries and chargers are useless and you have to take turns with the devices. To me it seems like another way to make them even skinnier which generally makes them more brake prone. How about making a phone that doesn't need a case instead?
I use my headphones every night to listen to the radio and the late night talk shows( coast to Coast AM) without keeping my husband awake all night.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
android-g1-1.jpg

The point of that video being here was to point out that the G1 did not have a headphone jack.

How many of you were aware of that?

kinfolk248

Reaction score
granted ppl wh
android-g1-1.jpg

The point of that video being here was to point out that the G1 did not have a headphone jack.

How many of you were aware of that?
granted that ppl were kinda still using cd players and walkman or something like that back then b/c phones werent quite capable of music playback, not true playback...

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
my Samsung Omnia did not have a Headphone Jack & neither did the Samsung Black Jack. There were many phones back in the day that did NOT have 3.5mm Headphone jacks. Hell at one time all there was were 2.5mm Jacks. Apple is Hardly the First but as with many things because of the way Apple advertises and Draws attention many think they are the first. Like these "Simply Magic" Commercials riding in the Rain. Um NOT the first that could get wet. They were the First to Make you your phone look like crap using Glass on Both Sides so when you dropped it it was totally cracked. I give them that.

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
No love for WinMo Phones. I remember buying my 1st one a Moto Q9m just to use my slingbox one the go. They were Smart phones after all. Samsung Blackjack was 2006 no headphone jack, whole bunch of interconnecting cables for headset and charging. Heck these phones were out before 1st gen iPhone.