No Headphone Jack For The Google Pixel 2?

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Screenshot-2017-03-06-at-00.37.39.png

Removing the headphone jack seems to be the upcoming trend for smartphones. Apple called themselves courageous for removing the headphone jack from the iPhone 7. Motoroloa did the same with the Moto Z series. I carried the Moto Z for a while and even though I use bluetooth much of the time I found it quite annoying to have to find an adaptor for those times I actually needed the headphone jack. Bluetooth headphones and accessories continue to get cheaper and more reliable, and wireless everything does seem to be the future.

According to new reports Google will be following this trend with the Pixel 2 and won't include a 3.5mm headphone jack. This is according to leaked internal documents regarding the device. 9to5Google says that the document presents the removal of the headphone jack as matter of fact, but they could not obtain a secondary source. They are giving this rumor a 6 out of 10 for confidence level so take it as you will.

via 9to5Google

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, Was considering the Pixel 2 XL to replace my S7 Edge. I will have to rethink this now.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I get why a lot of people are taking issue with manufacturers removing the headphone jack, but it's really not a deal breaker for me these days. I use BT in my truck and have 2 pairs of inexpensive BT headphones that get the job done.

However, I do like using my wired noise cancelling cans with the Daydream VR. Still, I could easily get an adapter to make those BT as well.

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I had an issue with it at first, but then I couldn't think of the last time I used wired headphones while charging.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
Maybe there is a USB C to Y 3.5mm adapter and charging cable. I have seen Lightning versions for iPhones.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Have never used the 3.5mm jack. Don't even know if it works.

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
Whaaat!?! My phone doesn't have a 3.5mm jack??? I've had it for 8 months and never noticed. I know some people would like to have it though. The quest to make the thinnest phone in existence is what brought about the demise of the 3.5mm jack. I think that the thinnest phone possible isn't such a great idea. I don't want a brick, but a little thickness to the phone actually makes it easier to hold AND give room for a 3.5mm jack for those that want it.

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Personally Im happy with the Thickness of my Moto Z Force with the Incipio OffGrid Battery Mod. A phone with that kind of thickness is find for me but at that point im working with 5,700 mAh for Battery. Make a little Thinner with a 5,000 mAh standard with QC and Golden. The BLU Energy XL has a 5,000 mAh Battery and is 8.4mm thick. The Moto Z Force is 7mm. The Pixel XL is actually Thicker @ 8.5mm. yeah i know the Hardware is not as Powerful but it shows that MFG are capable of putting a Large Battery in a Phone without Making it a Brick.

Dark Lazer

Reaction score
I mean I still would prefer having one since I still use it at the gym when my bluetooth headphones need to be charged, and I have an aux port in one of our cars that doesnt have bluetooth built in. But it's not a make or break type issue for me anymore.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I can't remember last time I used wired headphones...wires are so yesterday ...my beats wireless go for two weeks before I need to charge ...

7+

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I guess if they make some really small BT Receiver that can plug into the Headphones (Obviously the ones with Replaceable Cords) this would be much of an issue. I thought about getting one but the still seem to large to be Dangling from my Samsung Level Headphones.

kevsgroove

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I guess it's good that I still have a 160GB iPod classic that I use for music. I can use my cans or buds. I do have a pair of BT buds that I use If I'm listening to a show on Sirius. Tough when you're old school.;)

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
I don't use it often but I'd like to have that option if need arises. Lots of other gadgets that use headphones jack besides headphones.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
My beef with Bluetooth being used in vehicles is I'm not really big on hearing folks lives while sitting at a stop light. Do folks not realize everyone within a city block can hear both ends of the conversation? They do cell yell into speakerphone, other person comes back through the gazillion watt stereo system. It's almost as bad as being at work as Sally Sue is arguing with someone over speakerphone, again everyone within a block is inundated with their business.
Removing headphone jacks will only make it worse.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><