No Headphone Jack For The Google Pixel 2?

Discussion in 'Android News' started by DroidModderX, Mar 7, 2017.

1. DroidModderX

DroidModderX Super Moderator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,188
    [​IMG]

Removing the headphone jack seems to be the upcoming trend for smartphones. Apple called themselves courageous for removing the headphone jack from the iPhone 7. Motoroloa did the same with the Moto Z series. I carried the Moto Z for a while and even though I use bluetooth much of the time I found it quite annoying to have to find an adaptor for those times I actually needed the headphone jack. Bluetooth headphones and accessories continue to get cheaper and more reliable, and wireless everything does seem to be the future.

According to new reports Google will be following this trend with the Pixel 2 and won't include a 3.5mm headphone jack. This is according to leaked internal documents regarding the device. 9to5Google says that the document presents the removal of the headphone jack as matter of fact, but they could not obtain a secondary source. They are giving this rumor a 6 out of 10 for confidence level so take it as you will.

via 9to5Google

2. LoneWolfArcher

LoneWolfArcher Silver Member

Ratings:
    +618
    Hmmm, Was considering the Pixel 2 XL to replace my S7 Edge. I will have to rethink this now.

3. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +8,379
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    I get why a lot of people are taking issue with manufacturers removing the headphone jack, but it's really not a deal breaker for me these days. I use BT in my truck and have 2 pairs of inexpensive BT headphones that get the job done.

However, I do like using my wired noise cancelling cans with the Daydream VR. Still, I could easily get an adapter to make those BT as well.

• Like Like x 1
  4. popcenator

popcenator Droid X Rescue Squad
    Rescue Squad Premium Member

Ratings:
    +899
    I had an issue with it at first, but then I couldn't think of the last time I used wired headphones while charging.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  5. hammerhead13

hammerhead13 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +545
    Current Phone Model:
    Moto Z Force Droid
    Maybe there is a USB C to Y 3.5mm adapter and charging cable. I have seen Lightning versions for iPhones.

6. tgyberg

tgyberg Silver Member

Ratings:
    +325
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL & C
    I'm cool with an adapter

7. Mustang02

Mustang02 Diamond Member

Ratings:
    +6,074
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6P/5X
    Have never used the 3.5mm jack. Don't even know if it works.

8. jkaod

jkaod Gold Member

Ratings:
    +415
    Whaaat!?! My phone doesn't have a 3.5mm jack??? I've had it for 8 months and never noticed. I know some people would like to have it though. The quest to make the thinnest phone in existence is what brought about the demise of the 3.5mm jack. I think that the thinnest phone possible isn't such a great idea. I don't want a brick, but a little thickness to the phone actually makes it easier to hold AND give room for a 3.5mm jack for those that want it.

9. hammerhead13

hammerhead13 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +545
    Current Phone Model:
    Moto Z Force Droid
    Personally Im happy with the Thickness of my Moto Z Force with the Incipio OffGrid Battery Mod. A phone with that kind of thickness is find for me but at that point im working with 5,700 mAh for Battery. Make a little Thinner with a 5,000 mAh standard with QC and Golden. The BLU Energy XL has a 5,000 mAh Battery and is 8.4mm thick. The Moto Z Force is 7mm. The Pixel XL is actually Thicker @ 8.5mm. yeah i know the Hardware is not as Powerful but it shows that MFG are capable of putting a Large Battery in a Phone without Making it a Brick.

10. Dark Lazer

Dark Lazer Active Member

Ratings:
    +72
    I mean I still would prefer having one since I still use it at the gym when my bluetooth headphones need to be charged, and I have an aux port in one of our cars that doesnt have bluetooth built in. But it's not a make or break type issue for me anymore.

11. bkdodger

bkdodger Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +3,879
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6
    I can't remember last time I used wired headphones...wires are so yesterday ...my beats wireless go for two weeks before I need to charge ...

7+

12. hammerhead13

hammerhead13 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +545
    Current Phone Model:
    Moto Z Force Droid
    I guess if they make some really small BT Receiver that can plug into the Headphones (Obviously the ones with Replaceable Cords) this would be much of an issue. I thought about getting one but the still seem to large to be Dangling from my Samsung Level Headphones.