iOS 9.3 Beta Code Hints At No Headphone Jack For The iPhone 7

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

It has been heavily rumored that the iPhone 7 will not include a 3.5mm headphone jack. This has been widely accepted by premium headphone makers who have turned their focus to blutooth and lightning connectable headphones. Now we have even more insight that this may truly be the case for the iPhone 7.

A well known jailbreaker "@kyoufujibaya" has found a particularly intriguing line in iOS 9.3 beta 1.1 code. The line of code found "Headphones.have.%sinput.NO." suggest that Apple may indeed decide to not include a 3.5 headphone jack on the next iPhone. That being said all rumors and speculation about the Android phone lineup of 2016 would suggest that all Android phones will include the 3.5mm headphone jack. Just one more reason to go with Android if you ask me.

There are some great quality bluetooth headphones on the market, but most of these great quality headphones are kind of expensive. A 3.5mm headphone jack gives you the freedom to use any headphones. Many audiophiles are obsessed with wired connections anyhow. How important is the inclusion of a headphone jack in a flagship device to you?

via @kyoufujibaya

Last edited by a moderator:

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
Oh brother. This means that all of the "Me Too!" manufacturers will follow suit. The Android handset that doesn't follow this Apphole trend will get my coin.

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
I rarely use a wired headset but if they ditch the wired connection, they need to beef up the BT signal. I have a terrible connection between my 6P (and did also with my Note 4) and my LG headset (previous gen LG headset also) when my phone is my back pocket. I have to take my phone out of my pocket to hear and be heard on my BT headset. :(

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Does Apple provide earbuds with their phones these days? Can't remember the last Android phone I got that came with them.

If they provided a set of earbuds with the lightning connector (I don't see them giving everyone a bluetooth set), I don't think it's that big of a deal.

Kinda like the switch to USB Type-C. As long as I'm provided with what I need, I can always get more third-party stuff as time goes on.

Where this could really suck, IMO, is for folks who travel a lot. Sitting in an airport terminal listening to music/podcasts/etc. and your battery is about to die. Can you charge through that lightning connector while still listening to your media on your headphones? That's the part that would worry me in some situations.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I can see it now. "Galaxy S8/Note7 to include sd card capability but no headphone jack, rant threads about need for plug ensue, hundreds promise on forums , social media, and Reddit to never use Samsung again for removing a needed feature/capability"

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Yup headphones come with iPhone ...and also came with Samsung Edge 6+ ....They will most definitely include the adapter if it becomes real ...

I personally think it will be coming possible not making it on next one but we shall see ...

6s Plus

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I think it's a horrible idea. To simply make it thinner is what I'm hearing people say. Thinner? It doesn't need to be thinner. Have you held a 6S? It's very svelte...very thin. It's kind of nice actually. It does NOT need to be thinner!

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I think it's a horrible idea. To simply make it thinner is what I'm hearing people say. Thinner? It doesn't need to be thinner. Have you held a 6S? It's very svelte...very thin. It's kind of nice actually. It does NOT need to be thinner!
I agree. My friend bought the new 6s plus?? It felt just like my 6P. Getting rid of the headphone jack is crazy. I use BT for almost all my music listening except in the office. I use a cheap pair of headphones. If they get stolen I don't care.

Yes, itoys still come with headphones.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Agree love the current build doesn't need to be thinner ..now tell me you plan on improving sound quality and that's why you are getting rid of it and I'm in ...

6s Plus

xDMONEYx

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Twitter
bentxnail
Ever since I started using Bluetooth headphones, I have slowly converted to using Bluetooth for all my audio needs regarding my phone. Even bought a Bluetooth to AUX adapter for my car, so I didn't have to buy a whole new deck to get Bluetooth capabilities in my car. I really like Bluetooth/wireless connectivity, but I like the backup option of the headphone jack.

The problem with Bluetooth devices I have most, is the fact that they have their own batteries. I always have a pair of wired headphones on hand in case I (inevitably) forget to charge my Bluetooth headphones one night after multiple days of use without a charge. So while I hardly ever use the headphone jack these days, it's nice to have as a backup in case I ever need it.

Getting rid of the jack simply to make the phone thinner is just dumb, if you ask me. But I guess like everything else that has been discarded for similar reasons, such as microSD slots and removable battery capabilities, I would get used to it if it became standard.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Looks like Evan is at it again...

Blass did not reveal a source for his information but as the reputation of being right more often than he is wrong and stated that the new device is likely to be known as the iPhone 6SE and SE Plus, rather than the iPhone 7.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'd guess is generally not for the sake of making the phone thinner but as it'sslightly easier to integrate the circuitry. We discussed this in another thread in regards to some other new devices. Anyway, it's still strange to me that it's all the tech sites, where innovation is always a buzzword, where people complain about this most.

As I said before the best thing about it is that never again do I have to worry about a top mounted headphone jack, and that I am very grateful for.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'd guess is generally not for the sake of making the phone thinner but as it'sslightly easier to integrate the circuitry. We discussed this in another thread in regards to some other new devices. Anyway, it's still strange to me that it's all the tech sites, where innovation is always a buzzword, where people complain about this most.

As I said before the best thing about it is that never again do I have to worry about a top mounted headphone jack, and that I am very grateful for.
Complaints about those "horseless carriages" were rampant at 1 point. I'd be willing to bet some cavemen complained fire being a bad thing. "We were doing just fine being cold and eating raw food." Or the "wheel is just for that young generation that's too lazy to carry all those rocks".

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I'm still anti removing the jack actually.
2X this summer I found myself in someone's older car on a longer trip and glad they had an Aux-in...