Modifying your TPU Case (Those of you who have problems with the volume rocker)

iKN0WaGH0ST

Reaction score
Just made this quick video showing you how you can modify your TPU case so that your volume doesn't go crazy when you press the buttons.

Just BE CAREFUL. I used a box cutter to make the slits.

I don't take responsibility if you slice your arm off, or mess your case up.

[video=youtube;CBX6oPw4h8Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBX6oPw4h8Y[/video]

screaminz2002

Reaction score
I just took an exacto and cut the buttons out altogether . You have to push inside a bit to hit the button but I kept accidentally hitting them anyway.. I like this much better as I really don't adjust the volume all that much.

GTX1

Reaction score
Is this an issue that a lot of users are experiencing? I got my Nexus yesterday and I've been fondling it to no end. I haven't noticed any issues with my rocker. It doesn't sit "loose" in the casing, but if I push it side to side there's some wiggle room.

Maybe I'm just lucky. If your fix works, it works.

OP
iKN0WaGH0ST

iKN0WaGH0ST

Reaction score
I just took an exacto and cut the buttons out altogether . You have to push inside a bit to hit the button but I kept accidentally hitting them anyway.. I like this much better as I really don't adjust the volume all that much.

I did that on my spare case to see how it would feel. It felt okay, but it was way too sloppy, and it would be hard to have a clean cut. I was in the process of cutting out my buttons all together, but I decided to see if it made a difference by just making two slits.. And it did. The buttons feel much more tactile, and you can't even tell it was messed with.

Is this an issue that a lot of users are experiencing? I got my Nexus yesterday and I've been fondling it to no end. I haven't noticed any issues with my rocker. It doesn't sit "loose" in the casing, but if I push it side to side there's some wiggle room.

Maybe I'm just lucky. If your fix works, it works.

I had the problem with 2 TPU cases (different brands), so it was my guess that I wasn't the only one.

Last edited:

BL4Z3D247

Reaction score
I did the same exact thing earlier this morning because every time I went to turn the screen off it wouldn't due to the case holding volume down button. It was also putting the phone into silent mode, I missed a few calls.

OP
iKN0WaGH0ST

iKN0WaGH0ST

Reaction score
I did the same exact thing earlier this morning because every time I went to turn the screen off it wouldn't due to the case holding volume down button. It was also putting the phone into silent mode, I missed a few calls.

Exactly the same problem I was having. I couldn't even feel the buttons on my volume rocker, but now I can. :happy3:

BL4Z3D247

Reaction score
Exactly the same problem I was having. I couldn't even feel the buttons on my volume rocker, but now I can. :happy3:

I could feel the volume up button but not the down. Two razor slits did the trick and now I'm good to go. :D

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Just made this quick video showing you how you can modify your TPU case so that your volume doesn't go crazy when you press the buttons.

Just BE CAREFUL. I used a box cutter to make the slits.

I don't take responsibility if you slice your arm off, or mess your case up.

[video=youtube;CBX6oPw4h8Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBX6oPw4h8Y[/video]

Dude, I sliced my arm off! ;)

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
I cut out a big section similar to how it is on the power side. Works better now but looks a bit crappy. Volume rocker is still recessed so at least it's protected. This will hold me over til I find one that's built correctly.

triplejnj

Reaction score
I did the same exact thing earlier this morning because every time I went to turn the screen off it wouldn't due to the case holding volume down button.

HA!!! And I thought it was a bug when my phone would not turn off from time to time. Thanks! Going to try the slit trick tonight.

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
Anyone try the Incipio case? Sounds like a soft gel case inside of a hard tpu case. Soft gel flexibility + hard case protection = best of both worlds? $29 isn't cheap though, but if the case is nice, I might jump on this.

gloveman

Reaction score
Anyone try the Incipio case? Sounds like a soft gel case inside of a hard tpu case. Soft gel flexibility + hard case protection = best of both worlds? $29 isn't cheap though, but if the case is nice, I might jump on this.

I bought this case last night. Fits awesome! No need to be slicing and hacking on the Incipio. Great Case!

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C

Had the soft/hard Incipio on my DX and loved it. I just ordered the new Incipio feather light last night.

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
I bought this case last night. Fits awesome! No need to be slicing and hacking on the Incipio. Great Case!

So the volume rocker works well with this case? Its easy to distinguish up from down?

The volume rocker part of my current case is unacceptable. How hard would it have been for them to cut it out like on the power button side.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

gloveman

Reaction score
So the volume rocker works well with this case? Its easy to distinguish up from down?

The volume rocker part of my current case is unacceptable. How hard would it have been for them to cut it out like on the power button side.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Well, considering I've never had a case that didn't have a cut-out section to operate the control buttons, I was pleasantly surprised at how well the Incipio functions. There is a space/gap between the volume control buttons so it's pretty easy to distinguish between up/down by feel.