Micro SD Slot??????

Bear in NM

Reaction score
Don't get that card. Myself and a couple others had issues with it locking up the phone, as most class 10 cards will do.

Will a class 6 card be fast enough to handle HD video? Anyone know what the speed is of the card in our Droid 1's? I'm guessing class 2 (I yanked it out and there is a "2" marked in the corner of the card), I'm guessing we may have problems recording 1080p video to that? Anyone with better knowledge of removable media able to chime in?

Well, it has more to do with how the video is encoded then anything. 1080p can require a variety of different things, depending on this.

A Class 2 card generally provides 2MB/s write speeds. In most situations this wouldn't be enough to record 1080p at, but I'm sure the D3 records in a highly compressed format, thus reducing overall quality, which might make 2MB/s okay. I wouldn't really know either way until it was tried. It might not be able to default the recording of the video to SD instead of internal storage so the point might be moot.

It would make sense the video is going to internal as the phone ships without an sd card, and it external was the only way then the phone would be shipping without video cability from the box. That would seem odd. But then stranger things have been known to happen from the mfg.

So this begs the question (if indeed internal), can you move "stuff" from internal storage to the SD card? I watched the tutorial in the faq. section here, perhaps one of the menu options besides sending to sms or email might be send to sd card?

Craig

Edit: I forgot to ask. Back when discussions of the class rate and D1 were happening, there seemed to be no hard evidence about what the D1 was capable of supporting, other than just 32, with no info on rate. Folks just tried and tested. Are there specs from Moto about this? Would be nice to have something more just "up to 32".

Last edited:

Amee

Reaction score
I was going nuts when setting up my Droid 3, looking all over the place for the SD card that I assumed came with it. I had to go check the specs online to find that it didn't actually say it came with one, just that it supported 32GB.

Raptor007

Reaction score
Pick up a class 10 microSD card and stay away from the cheap ones, they will cost you more in the long run. Amazon has Patriot 32GB with SD adapter for $64.99 after $15 MIR.

Yonnor

I r Teh Greetest
Reaction score
Im using a 16GB class 6 atm and it works flawlessly. I personally doubt i'll fill it up. Of course I keep all my music on my mp3 player though.

Beamed down from my Droid 3

Last edited:

Raptor007

Reaction score
I haven't run out yet to get a Class 10 card, and I still have my Class 2 card sitting here, but its nice to have a faster read/write speeds.

darkmatter

Reaction score
I'm curious what the read/write speed of the internal memory is for the d3.

I'm thinking moto made a good move by not including an sd card but with massive internal memory. They get to assure the user of high speed memory, while cutting costs on something that the user probably already has anyway.

how many people buying a d3 don't already have a micro sd card? besides, with that much internal memory, the d3 really doesn't -need- more, its just nice for those of us that load gigs and gigs of movies and music.

Snow02

Reaction score
Try writing something to it. Windows will show you the transfer speed.

Immolate

Reaction score
Just copied a 400MB file from internal to internal using the computer, 4.40MB/s.
SDCard to SDCard using computer (came from Thunderbolt), 3.23MB/s.
Computer to SDCard, 5.56MB/s.
Computer to internet, 5.46MB/s.
Internal to internal using the phone, 5.27MB/s.
SDCard to SDCard using the phone, 2.92MB/s.

psouza4

Reaction score

That's a really bad way to benchmark the performance though. You're better off running a script directly on the phone.

echo "Write speed test on internal SD card:"
/system/xbin/dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/sdcard/zerofile.000 bs=4096 count=25600
echo "Read speed test on internal SD card:"
/system/xbin/dd if=/mnt/sdcard/zerofile.000 of=/dev/null bs=4096
rm /mnt/sdcard/zerofile.000

This was from my DX2 which was rooted and had busybox, so you'd have to tweak it somewhat, but there you go.

Snow02

Reaction score

That's a really bad way to benchmark the performance though. You're better off running a script directly on the phone.

This was from my DX2 which was rooted and had busybox, so you'd have to tweak it somewhat, but there you go.

Meh. If you get anything drastically different I'd be shocked.

Snow02

Reaction score
Just copied a 400MB file from internal to internal using the computer, 4.40MB/s.
SDCard to SDCard using computer (came from Thunderbolt), 3.23MB/s.
Computer to SDCard, 5.56MB/s.
Computer to internet, 5.46MB/s.
Internal to internal using the phone, 5.27MB/s.
SDCard to SDCard using the phone, 2.92MB/s.

Right. So a class 4 should be perfectly fine. Maybe a class 6 if you want to risk having problems. But there's certainly no point in a class 10 card.

psouza4

Reaction score

Write speed was way off on my DX2 (by about double).

Snow02

Reaction score

Sans screenshots , I don't believe you. And you need to transfer a sufficiently large file to test it. 4MB is not sufficient.

psouza4

Reaction score

Sans screenshots , I don't believe you. And you need to transfer a sufficiently large file to test it. 4MB is not sufficient.
I returned my Droid X2 and purchased the Droid 3 instead, so can't offer you any screen caps. Also, 4096 x 256 = 1 MB which is plenty to test on slower flash memory since I don't believe the Android OS is going to perform I/O caching like Windows will, but the values are tweakable for whatever.