Message I'm seeing for months, "Too many Contacts deletes" (exact quote)

jaybogg

Reaction score
I've seen that message before. Happens when I delete all my contacts on the phone and then sync to Google so that they get deleted there as well. (I do this prior to FDR and backing my current contacts to v card so I don't get duplicates). To solve it I delete no more than 5 contacts at a time, sync to Google, delete 5 more, sync to Google, etc. Try this and post back with a response to let is know if it worked.

This advice matches the limited research I did on the google search I previously mentioned. Evidently, when the sync gets out of whack IE. too many contacts to change at one time it gives this message. Perhaps a way of keeping you from accidentally deleting contacts, or just poor programming code, I don't know, didn't dig that deep.

I would follow his advice as one method. I also read the other method mentioned of backing up, deleting and then restoring the contacts through sync. Point is, as I understand it, your phone and whatever account you are synced to are grossly "out of sync" and this the reason for the message you keep getting. Another solution I read was to turn sync off! Not sure if that is the best advice but it would confirm if sync is causing the message. If not sure which account is at fault, I would step slowly, research, and back up my contacts before deleting anything. Hope this helps.

OP

211SSW

Reaction score
Backing up- what backup method do you use?

I'd be interested in knowing your method of backing up? Because I'm fairly new to this, I'm trying several.
I'm falling asleep while doing this so Bye, gotta go at 7:07!!!!

bruben7886

Diamond Member
Reaction score
211SSW said:
I'd be interested in knowing your method of backing up? Because I'm fairly new to this, I'm trying several.
I'm falling asleep while doing this so Bye, gotta go at 7:07!!!!

My backup that I have total confidence in is:
Open phone book
Press the menu soft key
Press import/export
Press export to storage
This saves my contact as a vcf file in the external SD card.

Best of luck on the surgeries.....and your attempt at English worked just fine...we understood you and that's the primary goal :)
PS. I don't believe the GO products had any bearing on your contacts problem.

YellowJacket

Reaction score
"Too many contacts deletes" sounds like poor English...

Are you using GoSMS or Handcent?

David

I just want to clarify the above statement to say that I was referrig to the English used in the products mentioned above, not in the conversation in this forum.

To see what I mean, just go to the vendors sites on google paly store and read their descriptions of the products. So, IMHO, I think the problem the OP is having may be related to a problem with an app who's devs primary language is not English.

That said, I just read the OP's post stating that he agrees with me on that so I feel better and hope I didn't offend anyone. :)

David

YellowJacket

Reaction score
My backup that I have total confidence in is:
Open phone book
Press the menu soft key
Press import/export
Press export to storage
This saves my contact as a vcf file in the external SD card.

Best of luck on the surgeries.....and your attempt at English worked just fine...we understood you and that's the primary goal :)
PS. I don't believe the GO products had any bearing on your contacts problem.

Thanks for posting that.

211ssw,

here is a thread from the support forums talking about cleaning your cache. http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr-maxx/217019-clearing-your-cache.html

Following the steps above also leads you to the option of doing a factory data reset. But follow the backup instructions above.

As for problem solving..... I always try to backtrack and undo what I did last. I will usually start fresh making only one change at a time until a problem occurs then go backwards and try to correct what I last did.

That process helped me a lot when I started having unusually fast battery drain. Going back through what I had recently done, I remembered that I started using the email widget and since then my battery drained more rapidly. Removing the widget fixed my problem. Just my "tried and true" method about problem solving.

David

OP

211SSW

Reaction score
OK, I've been away from forum for extended time but have only had huge numbers of medical appointments which completely wears me out. I had a surgical date but when person who will be my caregiver after orthopedic surgery developed serious illness, I had to postpone! That is SO frustrating but was necessary. Problem is, medical clearance lasts only 30 days so I need to get it done soon or they will need to do surgery on my head to fix insanity!
On topic of phone backup, I use several, My Backup Pro (4.5rating)by Rerware, SMS Backup & Restore (4.7 rating), SMS Backup+ (4.6 rating), Clickfree Mobile Backup (4.4 rating -surprises me as I expected it would be higher but people may not be familiar with their Click-free Backup Drives that I connect to my PC, set it up for time of daily backup & forget it. It's amazing & this is by same company. Due to my history with Clickfree, I have high confidence in their backing up. My plan was to have one app which would handle what was connected to one Gmail account, etc but as this has proceeded, my Contacts are for option "phone" rather than particular email account.
At one point I followed one method of deleting all contacts & was surprised that phone has memory from somewhere as it wasn't a dreadful experience. My next approach is going to be, send all contacts to vCard, send to Google, & see if that solves it. So far, nothing has made any difference so I'm getting all the same messages or alerts. While I have Backup Assistant, it has never worked, never synced. It shows Sync with circle that goes backwards with point at almost 9-10, that says "Too many Contacts deletes" & Backup Assistant+Contacts says "Sync unable to complete."
It's already too late to try anything involved in this thread tonight but I wanted to touch base & find out if anything new had come forward as possible solutions for my problems. I certainly appreciate your assistance & given another day, I'll expect to have more of a report. Thanks for the help along the way, Bye, S