Message I'm seeing for months, "Too many Contacts deletes" (exact quote)

211SSW

Reaction score
I'm not sure whether this speaks to backing up, syncing, or whatever but one thing it cannot be is too large a number of contacts. There was a situation which I fixed that made huge numbers of copying of contacts by Google. Example is one person whose only change was a marriage name change from maiden name to married last name and apparently, Facebook has relevance in contacts & this woman is in Facebook - her one name became 13 contacts! I have put in the huge amount of time to cut every contact to one place.
I don't know whether this is a sync issue or backup but I have concern regarding both issues.
Aside from the strange word order & strange sound of how this reads, I want to understand what problem this is trying to point out so that I can address it. I have a small business but none of those contacts are included here because all of those are contained on my computer in Outlook. I would like to have hope of transferring those contacts to my phone but as long as I'm seeing these messages, I wouldn't feel confident in moving them to my phone.
In another search I will include my issue with sync which deals with contacts but since it is a different problem, I'm choosing to offer them separately. Interestingly, in entering tags, "contacts deletes" isn't recognized as anything followed- nor does it make sense to me but I'm listing it as I read it.
Many thanks for your help.

OP

211SSW

Reaction score
86 people view my issue but not a soul has a comment! Thanks.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I'll respond.

I have no idea. If you're looking for a response that is from someone who is familiar with this problem , perhaps nobody is.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Honestly I'm having an extreme amount of trouble understanding what the problem is.

I'm not being a jerk but your question feels like one huge run-on sentence with multiple subjects and no real conclusive question or real concrete problem identified.

What exactly is happening aside from a contact split because I've got thousands of contacts (thanks Facebook) and have never seen that message.

Sent from my frozenly delicious bionic.

OP

211SSW

Reaction score
Message I keep seeing,Too many Contacts deletes- does this mean it can't backup, sync

I'm not sure whether this speaks to backing up, syncing, or whatever but one thing it cannot be is too large a number of contacts. There was a situation which I fixed that made huge numbers of copying of contacts by Google. Example is one person whose only change was a marriage name change from maiden name to married last name and apparently, Facebook has relevance in contacts & this woman is in Facebook - her one name became 13 contacts! I have put in the huge amount of time to cut every contact to one place.
I don't know whether this is a sync issue or backup but I have concern regarding both issues.
Aside from the strange word order & strange sound of how this reads, I want to understand what problem this is trying to point out so that I can address it. I have a small business but none of those contacts are included here because all of those are contained on my computer in Outlook. I would like to have hope of transferring those contacts to my phone but as long as I'm seeing these messages, I wouldn't feel confident in moving them to my phone.
In another search I will include my issue with sync which deals with contacts but since it is a different problem, I'm choosing to offer them separately. Interestingly, in entering tags, "contacts deletes" isn't recognized as anything followed- nor does it make sense to me but I'm listing it as I read i
THIS IS ADDED DUE TO COMPLAINT THAT I WAS NOT CLEAR.
To make clearer, although I doubt it's possible to make it clear. I am shown this message consistently. Separately, for clarity reasons, I also asked about my RAZR not successfully syncing my Gmail accounts or
Dropbox with one of the accounts. I do not know if this MSG is pertaining to not backing up my contacts or syncing or whatever. Because I wanted to avoid being told to go through my contacts & ascertain that duplicates were deleted, I included the example of the situation of 1 contact being expanded to 13 & under those circumstances, that message may make sense.
Also, these are my personal contacts. The number might have become an unmanageable number if I had included my business contacts found in my PC in Outlook.
Has anyone received this message and what does it mean?

OP

211SSW

Reaction score
OK, Foxcat, I won't expect resolution from you since you haven't dealt with what see.

I'm hoping that someone will be able to tell me what that constantly related message means. Since I got the RAZR in early summer of this year, that is in my pull down information. It never offers additional information, I don't know who leaves it but clearly, someone wants me to get this message.
Later, there is complaint about runon sentence. Thank you for not cutting me as this is a challenge for me to present & also attempt to include the work I've done prior to asking for help. I made sure that duplicate contacts were deleted. This was a challenge. I used the example of one person whose place in my contacts numbered 13 instead of 1 after changing her last name due to marriage. Involved in that magnification was Facebook in addition to being a contact in my list. I typically found that many contacts were multiplied by google.
Is there any Ned for leaving any contact name in list when it appears only to be a Google duplicate?
Thanks for simply saying you didn't know. Until I tell exactly the phrase I'm seeing, I don't know if it's a mystery or easy answer to those in this forum. Apparently, it's not familiar to you either.

OP

211SSW

Reaction score
Thanks, lifted plane, you DID HELP!

I attempted to remove the space splitting your " "liftedplane" which I typed correctly but even here, it was difficult to disallow autocorrection. It's not possible to correct the red line, I discovered.

Even though you were confused by what I described, by your saying that you have thousands of contacts & have not sen that message- that helps. It rules out (although you don't use a Razr) that my smaller number of contacts being beyond the ability of a phone to handle.
This is difficult to present beyond quoting the message I'm left with on my pull down info. I'm new to smartphones so please don't butcher me for not knowing the specific term for what I just referenced.
I felt that a likely suggestion might be about deleting duplicate contacts and used the example of 1 person who through marriage & name change wound up being the ultimate example because she became 13 contacts. I got rid of duplicates which is a time consuming task.
This issue has been driving me crazy because I have no idea what will fix it.

What my issue is -What to make of the consistent message, Too many Contacts deletes" !!! Hopefully, someone will know what this references & my hope is that the answer will not come with as much negativity as you included in your response.
I'm trying to solve a problem that has plagued my phone since early summer. I've been busy solving other issues & tonight became committed to putting my issues in front of others. I have spent weeks of reading in tying to educate myself about use of my phone with hopes that I would find answers to my issues while doing that reading. The issues that remain that have never been addressed elsewhere, I asked. I admit that I felt it a daunting task to adequately escribe my problems & apparently that remained unattained since you so clearly explained that you did not get my issue. It was stated in the title. What did that statement mean?
It's still a msyterious but thousands of people read these & I hope someone else understands what it means. You are off the hook & thanks for responding. I appreciate it even though you were rough on me. Did I do you harm? I highly doubt it.

Last edited:

jaybogg

Reaction score
Although this seems to be a new problem to this forum, I did a quick google search on the term "Too many Contacts deletes" and got a lot of hits. A quick look at one discussion implied it had to do with Gmail, contacts, and sync. Not saying this is the problem as I did not fully research. One person mentioned that it was caused by having sync set and there being too big of a disparity between the phone and the account they were sync'ed to. Their solution was to delete the phone contacts and then re-sync/reload from the sync'ed account. Another said they turned sync off to solve the problem. My advice would be to Google the term and research it as you are the most familiar with the exact problem you are experiencing. Please let us know what resolves the problem so we will have the knowledge for the next member who experiences it.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Try backing up your contacts then delete all off then from your phone and go into your google account in a computer and import the vcard backup into your google account then re-sync your account and see if that fixes it. Or try a factory data reset.

Sent from my frozenly delicious bionic.

bruben7886

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I've seen that message before. Happens when I delete all my contacts on the phone and then sync to Google so that they get deleted there as well. (I do this prior to FDR and backing my current contacts to v card so I don't get duplicates). To solve it I delete no more than 5 contacts at a time, sync to Google, delete 5 more, sync to Google, etc. Try this and post back with a response to let is know if it worked.

OP

211SSW

Reaction score
Thank you jaybogg, for checking it as I typically do as 1st step. I'll follow up.

Although this seems to be a new problem to this forum, I did a quick google search on the term "Too many Contacts deletes" and got a lot of hits. A quick look at one discussion implied it had to do with Gmail, contacts, and sync. Not saying this is the problem as I did not fully research. One person mentioned that it was caused by having sync set and there being too big of a disparity between the phone and the account they were sync'ed to. Their solution was to delete the phone contacts and then re-sync/reload from the sync'ed account. Another said they turned sync off to solve the problem. My advice would be to Google the term and research it as you are the most familiar with the exact problem you are experiencing. Please let us know what resolves the problem so we will have the knowledge for the next member who experiences it.
I will check it myself & follow up with what seems to fit. I appreciate your efforts. Oh, I wish I had taken the step of starting these issues before the hours of reading I've been doing all summer with my assumption that any issue I'm experiencing will be findable - I only need to do more reading to locate my issues. Wrong! This is great! In less than 24 hours, I have direction for that problem. Thanks for not doing fault finding. I'm not perfect. I'm trying to get my issues attention after eye surgery but before orthopaedic surgery when I will not be capable of fixing anything for an extended period. It wasn't the best judgment to be typing at 3in the morning while feeling pressed to complete but overall, I'm pleased & I'm off tp Google.

OP

211SSW

Reaction score
YellowJacket! How observant! You picked up my main point from the quote!

Many thanks for being observant & commenting that from standpoint of a person using US English as 1st language- it is
at very least, a bit strange. I use GO Launcher EX & it's easy to keep adding all sorts of GO options, which includes
GO SMS PRO along with many others. It's easy to wind up with a dozen or so & the products work quite well together.
As a result of reading many descriptions that come from the GO group, flawed US English is a routine reading. I've considered that moving the words around might help & that is due to becoming used to fractured English. While I understand
how those who write the code may not feel they are concerned with having their communication skills on equal par with the exactness required to create these apps, it automatically marks the work as being non-US. obviously, that has not deterred my use of GO products (originally, I WAS frustrated by GO, deleted it totally), tried others & ultimately, returned to GO & there I'm staying.
I wonder if I deleted all GO Launcher EX & all their ilk, if the messages stop, I still don't know what it means.
I just need to know what you accomplish in deleting by 5 at a time. I noticed duplicates but went through all of them & deleted duplicates one at a time but when I finished, I was done & had a useful list - except I'm getting this message all the time.
Please explain, in anticipation of FDR (need to know definition of this) you routinely go through, deleting, syncing to Google & then do 5 more, until you've deleted all contacts. You must have TOTAL confidence of your backup! Once you are finished, does the message that I reference disappear? Have you figured out what they meant? I'll look into it but now that I'm close to recovered from the eye surgery, next is orthopaedic surgery & I'll be gone from forums & computers for quite some time but eventually, I'll get to it.
Thanks again!

OP

211SSW

Reaction score
Oh my, liftedplane ! I would hope to avoid factory reset. Your suggestion is similar

You suggest doing all deletes at once. I'm curious as to why you suggest doing all but earlier suggest was 5 at a time. It would help greatly to have a clue how this will affect the function of my phone? It seems like a lot of effort to possibly get rid of a message that -well, it's unknown if it currently affects function. I have never been able to connect my RAZR to my computer bc it's XP 64 bit Professional. Therefore, I cannot get iTunes until I move to Windows 7 (it was Windows XP 64 bit Pro downgrade from Windows 7) so when I'm ready & I am, I get Windows 7 at no charge. I won't use the Windows 7 disc that came with it bc lots of changes have taken place since 2009 when it was released. By then, I'll have clean install of Windows 7, will add iTunes. It occurs to me that I've kept my Gmail in one place & only Comcast mail in Outlook. I'm not at all certain that I have interest in changing that.
Will that affect how I go about your method? I use Gmail accounts for categories different from what's in my Comcast email. When you finish your process of clearing your phone of all contacts do the messages cease? I think they would need to stop. However, I use Dropbox & it requires a Gmail account. How do I get around that?
I have hope that your process might help but before I start, I must know how to handle these issues. I also need to know if the process then gives you contacts list that syncs without issue. That's another item not currently syncing.
I use an alternate PC that has Windows 7 & could use it to accomplish task if I knew what end result is expected? That PC is new & nothing is in that Outlook so for interim, it might work well.fill me in on additional details, please.

OP

211SSW

Reaction score
With factory reset, don't I have to start all over -that represents huge amt of work!

Please explain what problems you think exist in contacts that would be fixed through your process. Is Outlook usage needed to accomplish this? I don't understand how I would be able to return to Gmail separated from Comcast mail which basically is business mail. I'm highly motivated to smooth out these issues but I have to have clearer understanding of what gets done in this process. I have contacts with special identifying information in Notes & wonder if that gets transferred when working from a backup?
I use Lookout Security so messages are scanned for viruses just as apps are scanned when they are added or updated. I don't feel that there is any problem in my phone but I admit to being spooked after seeing 2icons that I did not put there! When that happened, I was reminded of message I received from a friend who said I had been hacked & should change my password. I didn't believe him then but now, I wonder. How does one know? There's nothing to gain in my stuff. It wouldn't be worth anyone's time. I do no banking from my phone or anything interesting. Any hacker would be bored but I recognize that many of these apps give heavy duty permissions. You can see where my mind is going with this. Also, in preparing for the surgery, I've done research on the companies that provide parts & they REALLY EMPHASIZE THE IMPORTANCE of reading their privacy policies. I found that I wanted no part of what they'd glean from my PC & quit.
I came close to making an error but stopped in time. Please continue to give recommendations as I now have some good ideas about fixes. I'm hoping to avoid the reset- too much work if I can avoid. Typing from iPad2 is better than phone. Gotta go, Bye, S