Memory EXTREMELY Low

whodidthis

Reaction score
I froze all the bloatware in the phone and now get around 142mb of free ram...search for how to do a titanium back up and its pretty simple. need root though.

zeppelinrox

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
The DX2 apparently has a bad/poor memory allocation issue. 108mb is apparently allocated for the Tegra 2's gpu, but even considering 404mb, it does not add up. Go into the built-in task manager and add the OS, home UI, OS tasks, user apps and free ram- there is NOT 404mb and about 130mb is missing.

It gets worse from there, since if you go through the same process of adding up where the ram is, you will notice the ram slowly declines.

At start up when adding all used and free ram:

Total ram equals 260mb to 270mb (should equal at least 404mb)

After running for a few hours (and using the device) the total ram dips below 230mb (again, should be at least 404mb)

The missing operational ram is choking an otherwise great device. People are saying that using the Super V6 script helps, but that was designed for the 256mb Droid 1. That alone should tell folks there is a problem with the DX2's memory.

Running the script or not will result in a slow bleeding of usable ram. My average after about five hours use with or without the script was less than 40mb free ram and a total accounted for of 226mb- where is the other 178mb? I can not find it and the device performs like it is missing.
Repost from another thread:
You didnt customize the minfree levels V6 SuperCharger. It's works great regardless no matter the phone used.

Why didnt you put in the megamemory device values?
If you did you would have had about 100mb free after running a whole bunch of apps.

It would be great if people, such as yourself, did not display their ignorance at the expense of people's probable benefit of something when said people, such as yourself, used it incorrectly or did not follow recommendations.

Sent from my Milestone using Tapatalk

In addition to that, the memory managment sucks on most gingerbread roms anyway, which is what V6 SuperCharger fixes and does it better than anything else out there (OOM fixes) - the minfree is secondary, really.

If you supercharge again just use minfree levels that give you the free ram you want, with slot 3 being the biggest factor.

Last edited:

eagle1967

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.sourceryrom.com
uncalled for

The DX2 apparently has a bad/poor memory allocation issue. 108mb is apparently allocated for the Tegra 2's gpu, but even considering 404mb, it does not add up. Go into the built-in task manager and add the OS, home UI, OS tasks, user apps and free ram- there is NOT 404mb and about 130mb is missing.

It gets worse from there, since if you go through the same process of adding up where the ram is, you will notice the ram slowly declines.

At start up when adding all used and free ram:

Total ram equals 260mb to 270mb (should equal at least 404mb)

After running for a few hours (and using the device) the total ram dips below 230mb (again, should be at least 404mb)

The missing operational ram is choking an otherwise great device. People are saying that using the Super V6 script helps, but that was designed for the 256mb Droid 1. That alone should tell folks there is a problem with the DX2's memory.

Running the script or not will result in a slow bleeding of usable ram. My average after about five hours use with or without the script was less than 40mb free ram and a total accounted for of 226mb- where is the other 178mb? I can not find it and the device performs like it is missing.
Repost from another thread:
You didnt customize the minfree levels V6 SuperCharger. It's works great regardless no matter the phone used.

Why didnt you put in the megamemory device values?
If you did you would have had about 100mb free after running a whole bunch of apps.

It would be great if people, such as yourself, did not display their ignorance at the expense of people's probable benefit of something when said people, such as yourself, used it incorrectly or did not follow recommendations.

In addition to that, the memory managment sucks on most gingerbread roms anyway, which is what V6 SuperCharger fixes and does it better than anything else out there.

Don't ever supercharge again because an ignorant know it all that can't follow simple recommendations, such as yourself, does not deserve it.

title says it all.

zeppelinrox

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
You're probably right :redface:
just finished with a broken watermain on a saturday, slept only 2 hrs so kinda grumpy :p

OP
xgrinder911

xgrinder911

Reaction score
What are the megamemory device values?

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

overtwo

Reaction score
ROFLMFAO @ this topic.

my droid has ~30mb of free ram and is super fast/snappy. Zero lag.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't know how your Droid can be snappy with 30mb of free ram. A phone is not going to run well with only 30mb of free ram.

overtwo

Reaction score
A phone is not going to run well with only 30mb of free ram.

Really? Please explain....I would like to know :)

Edit: If your CPU is being hogged by one of the apps in your memory, then yes your phone will be slow and sluggish. Check your CPU usage/up time with spare parts (or whichever way your prefer).

Last edited:

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
A phone is not going to run well with only 30mb of free ram.

Really? Please explain....I would like to know :)

Edit: If your CPU is being hogged by one of the apps in your memory, then yes your phone will be slow and sluggish. Check your CPU usage/up time with spare parts (or whichever way your prefer).

Certain memory intensive process like web browser, video/music streaming, overlay widgets, Launcher Pro, Games like Plant vs Zombies, etc take up way more than 30 mb of ram at any given time. When your device runs out of available ram it will start to draw memory using the sdcard, this creates lag and freezing sometimes. The only way your Droid doesn't lag with only 30mb free is if you don't do anything but send text messages or make phone calls. Not to mention you are prolly missing text messages and phone calls due to low amounts of memory.

overtwo

Reaction score
Certain memory intensive process like web browser, video/music streaming, overlay widgets, Launcher Pro, Games like Plant vs Zombies, etc take up way more than 30 mb of ram at any given time. When your device runs out of available ram it will start to draw memory using the sdcard, this creates lag and freezing sometimes. The only way your Droid doesn't lag with only 30mb free is if you don't do anything but send text messages or make phone calls. Not to mention you are prolly missing text messages and phone calls due to low amounts of memory.

Thanks buddy!

But for some reason i have never missed a text or call (at least no one has ever asked me "did you get my text/call," and i text all day every day). I also play Stupid Zombies all the time while switching between GO SMS and the stock browser. 30mb is always free on my phone, that doesn't mean the it will only have 30mb free. If i launch Stupid Zombies, it kills anything else in my memory automatically to compensate for the game. That is how Android OS is designed. So blame your low memory on Android, not your phone.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score

Thanks buddy!

But for some reason i have never missed a text or call (at least no one has ever asked me "did you get my text/call," and i text all day every day). I also play Stupid Zombies all the time while switching between GO SMS and the stock browser. 30mb is always free on my phone, that doesn't mean the it will only have 30mb free. If i launch Stupid Zombies, it kills anything else in my memory automatically to compensate for the game. That is how Android OS is designed. So blame your low memory on Android, not your phone.

Yes ill admit that my fascinate and the droid x2 are both bad with memory management...my d1 did a better job. But while android is good at automatically closing processes it doesnt catch everything, and it gets choked at times. Also when running a memory intensive app on low ram it will kill what it can but not the app u r running. If that takes up say 80mb and u only have 30 available it may lag your phone, kill processes like sync or push notifications, reboot or freeze. That is because non ram memory is slow. I have experienced it on my d1 running gb and on my fascinate running froyo

Sent from my fascinate

zeppelinrox

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
What are the megamemory device values?
6, 12, 75, 125, 150, 175

@everybody else: you don't have to worry about bad memory managent anymore.
It's been fixed.
All phones can be fully loaded with apps and be snappier than when you bought it.

More physical ram by itself doesn't make the phone faster.
It only allows for better multitasking and running bigger apps/games.
Snappiness has nothing to do with the amount of physical ram.

Last edited:

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
When an app(s) needs to access memory and and there is no memory available, that app will lag.

Sent from my fascinate

zeppelinrox

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
On your phones perhaps.

On mine, if the app is too big, it wont run
If an app runs, it runs fast.

Many DX2 and evo4g users suffered lag and launcher redraw too... until they supercharged ;)