Market Place and Credit Card

Discussion in 'Android Applications' started by micp1480, Dec 12, 2009.

1. micp1480

micp1480 New Member

I am not so comfortable about putting my credit card out on the market place, especially now with the economy doing so bad and credit card theft high on the rise. I like to make my purchases through PayPal, and I would like to know if there are any alternative web sites that I can make purchases using PayPal? Thank You.

MICP 1480
  2. MrBaz

MrBaz New Member

You could always buy one of those prepaid cards. That way if something ever happens where someone steals that info or tries to rack up charges, that can't go any more than like $20.
  3. micp1480

micp1480 New Member

Great Idea thank you so much.

MICP 1480
  4. Hooblaim

Hooblaim New Member

Does it take the pre payed visa cards? Getting my droid today.
  5. 928Droid

928Droid Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Get a Paypal Debit card for your Paypal account and use that.
  6. zasran

zasran New Member

As I understand it it's using Google checkout, the app maker does not see your credit card info. I definitely trust google checkout with credit more than Paypal (specially if you have paypal linked to checking account).
  7. sillyrabbitt123

sillyrabbitt123 New Member

Hey I bought a few apps and HSBC was all over it like white on rice. They called me to see if I made the purchases etc...

Pretty impressed
  8. medicTHREE

medicTHREE New Member

You aren't putting your credit card out there on the market all willy nilly. You are putting it into google checkout which is just as secure as paypal. This isn't some third party vendor. It is GOOGLE. It is the same thing you'd use if you happened to say use google shopping...

It is just as secure as paypal.
  9. Martin030908

Martin030908 DF Super Moderator

Really? I've got HSBC Mastercard and they didn't make a peep when I started purchasing/returning/purchasing apps. :icon_eek:
  10. warmsun

warmsun New Member

cpu vs cell

I feel safe using credit card on internet - home computer. Just not sure how easy it might be for someone to break in and get my credit card info ona cell phone - doesn't matter if it's google or paypal. I've heard people can tap cell phone conversations, so how can a credit card entered on a cell be safe?
  11. jimnutt

jimnutt New Member

Set the google checkout account up on your home computer, not your cell phone (although it really shouldn't matter as they both are using https, which is encrypted anyway). The credit card number only goes to google checkout, the app vendors don't have access to it, google bills the card and forwards the money to the vendor.
    Frankly, the most dangerous place to use a credit card is in a restaurant... who knows where the server is going with your card when they leave with it.
  12. snowman

snowman Member

I know I would really like to buy a few apps but I'm not giving them my card either
    Google is not as secure as Pay-Pal because I have a electronic security key on pay-pal, so until they accept pay-pal no bought apps for me either.
    I'd do the prepay visa but there is a charge on them to use them , 4 bucks for buying a 25.00 card, they can keep em'
    Hey Google wake up and use Pay-Pal !!!:angry:
  13. Zargon

Zargon New Member

I guess I'm not as paranoid as some people. I feel 100% safe using Google checkout.
  14. jsh1120

jsh1120 New Member

+100. I find it amusing that people are so paranoid about the use of their credit cards on the internet when they're willing to hand their credit card over to someone they don't know, are unlikely to remember, and who may well be on their first (and last) shift.
  15. trbasil

trbasil New Member

If people are worried about it why not just get a pre-paid card from Visa or Mastercard, and use that for the market place?
  16. zasran

zasran New Member

Your internet connection is same protocol(s) whether it's a cell phone or a computer, all credit card info goes via https (SSL) so there's no eavesdropping either way.

ero
  17. Sp3aK

Sp3aK New Member

I'd like to know how many people have actually had problems purchasing things via Google or even the iTunes store for that matter. I've made several iTunes purchases and a couple of Marketplace purchases as well. I've had 0 problems.

Don't be paranoid. If you are using an actual credit card from a respectable company then all you have to do is call 'em up and say you have a problem and they should take care of it right away.

If people want your $ so bad I'm sure they will find a way to get it.
  18. Ziffy

Ziffy New Member

Kinda like selling you antivirus software for your cellphone!

:)

Z
  19. 1wired1

1wired1 New Member

What about all the apps for bill paying and acct keeping for bank accts and trading accts. I wonder how secure those are, seems like almost every app has access to most of the phone.

-1w1
  20. BuckeyeHD

BuckeyeHD New Member

Encrypted is encrypted. Most packets are multi routed also. So this means that IF someone had a packet sniffer on a node when one of your packets came through and IF they had the computing power to break the encryption (doubtful unless they have access to Super Computers somewhere) they would only have a partial transmission anyway so it would be useless. It's way easier to get information from your trash (I mean your physical trash) than your phone.

Like someone else said, you give your credit card to sales assistants and servers everywhere, that's a major risk.

Here's a final thought: most identity theft occurs at the credit institution, not the consumer.
Search tags for this page
android marketplace card

card credit hsbc visa

credit card market place forums
credit card marketplace
how do i add a credit card to my droid market
how to put credits on a droid
market place credit card

the recent change in the credit card market place