Manually syncing of MS Outlook with Droid?

Phxphenom

Reaction score
Allow me to be a succinct as possible so as not to waste your time:

1) Wife's employer does not support Droid. Employer IT Group (Hospital)only supports MS Exchange with Blackberry.
2) Wife thinking of returning to BB (I might get a 2nd Droid, lol)
3) She wants to be able to manually push her outlook Calendar to the Droid Calendar.

Can this be done? Obviously she would need to use the USB cord but she asked me to look into the possibility.

Thanks in Advance,
Marc

PhAcEpLaNt

Reaction score
I've been using CompanionLink with pretty good success since the beginning of this year. Works pretty well, but it aint cheap. I think it was about $40.
I've also tried the Google method, but that didn't work at all for me because it didn't have the customizations I needed. Check out Google sync first would be my suggestion, but CompanionLink does the job.

OP
Phxphenom

Phxphenom

Reaction score
Check out Google sync first would be my suggestion, but CompanionLink does the job.

Google sync only syncs Google activities to cell devices...Not Microsoft outlook....Thanks for the help, I will check out CompanionLink next.

Marc

PhAcEpLaNt

Reaction score
It actually does sync outlook...I used it for about a week to do that, but just didn't like it as much as CompanionLink.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Allow me to be a succinct as possible so as not to waste your time:

1) Wife's employer does not support Droid. Employer IT Group (Hospital)only supports MS Exchange with Blackberry.
2) Wife thinking of returning to BB (I might get a 2nd Droid, lol)
3) She wants to be able to manually push her outlook Calendar to the Droid Calendar.

Can this be done? Obviously she would need to use the USB cord but she asked me to look into the possibility.

Thanks in Advance,
Marc

Marc,

She doesn't have to push her Outlook Calendar manually.

() Download the Outlook calendar sync application on her computer in Google calendar. Set the sync schedule to a suitably short period.

() Her droid calendar will sync with the Google calendar, either one way from the Outlook to the google calendar or two-way.

This is how my Droid is configured. My google calendar is always in sync with my Outlook calendar. I have it configured to sync both ways so events I add on my droid end up on my Outlook calendar and vice versa.

Note that the synchronization is basic. I cannot, for example, schedule meetings with others in my company with my Droid. For that level of synchronization I would have to be using an app like Touchdown (I believe) or CompanionLink. But for basic synchronization of events, it works fine.

P.S. None of this involves dealing with the Exchange Server. The links are simply between the Outlook email client (Calendar) and Google. My firm also uses Exchange Server but this part of my synchronization is independent of that. BTW, this works only with Calendar, not with Outlook Tasks.

Last edited:
OP
Phxphenom

Phxphenom

Reaction score
Can you elaborate a little more how to do step one? What would be the name of the file I would be looking for on her laptop? and once I got it, do I just copy it somewhere using ClockworkMod?

Sorry I am such a newb....'
Thx,
Marc

jsh1120;603216 Marc said:
on her computer [/B]in Google calendar. Set the sync schedule to a suitably short period.

() Her droid calendar will sync with the Google calendar, either one way from the Outlook to the google calendar or two-way.

This is how my Droid is configured. My google calendar is always in sync with my Outlook calendar. I have it configured to sync both ways so events I add on my droid end up on my Outlook calendar and vice versa.

Note that the synchronization is basic. I cannot, for example, schedule meetings with others in my company with my Droid. For that level of synchronization I would have to be using an app like Touchdown (I believe) or CompanionLink. But for basic synchronization of events, it works fine.

P.S. None of this involves dealing with the Exchange Server. The links are simply between the Outlook email client (Calendar) and Google. My firm also uses Exchange Server but this part of my synchronization is independent of that. BTW, this works only with Calendar, not with Outlook Tasks.

clsales

Reaction score
Can you elaborate a little more how to do step one? What would be the name of the file I would be looking for on her laptop? and once I got it, do I just copy it somewhere using ClockworkMod?

Sorry I am such a newb....'
Thx,
Marc

Google Calendar Sync is Google's free tool to sync your primary Outlook calendar with any Google/Gmail account. Google then automatically syncs with Android.

You can use CompanionLink to sync Android with Outlook direct over USB or wireless through Google. CompanionLink's direct USB sync supports two-way sync of Outlook contacts, calendar, tasks and notes.

PS - Thanks for the shoutout, PhAcEpLaNt!

darimini

Reaction score
Okay, but when my hard drive fried recently, I bought a new machine with Windows 7 and Outlook 2010. Apparently, Google Calendar Sync is incompatible with both. I found plenty of rants and raves online about it, but no answers.

Anyone have another (free) idea?

droiddadi

Reaction score
Froyo 2.2 syncs everything and there is much wider support for Active sync policies.

dmacleo

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
if they use exchange try touchdown out and for account info use the outlook web access url.

slinky

Reaction score
Froyo 2.2 syncs everything and there is much wider support for Active sync policies.

This seems the only solution. Problem is no Froyo for Moto Droid owners and heaven knows when and if we'll see it in 2010.

darimini

Reaction score
After some research, looks like the problem isn't Windows 7, but rather Outlook 2010. I figured out how to get my hands on a cheap-ish copy of Outlook 2007 and am going to downgrade. It's worth it not to have to get more Android apps and to constantly have to export and import the calendar using a huge number of steps.